Options

Release = best song ever/crappy live versions in recent years

2»

Comments

• Options
    My3rdEye wrote:
    Immortality get's fucked up quite a bit. BUT, when they play it well it's one of the best songs ever. Mike's had some insane solos from that song.

Release is probably THE best opening song. Long Road is my personal favorite.

It's a tie between Release and Long Road for me. I was hoping for Release when I saw them at Wembley last year, but they opened with possibly the best version of Long Road ever - Ed changed up the vocals putting in some awesome higher notes.

*Here's a link to my recording of Long Road for anyone interested: http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x64/jonfisher_photos/?action=view&current=MOV00128.flv
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,085
    It's a tie between Release and Long Road for me. I was hoping for Release when I saw them at Wembley last year, but they opened with possibly the best version of Long Road ever - Ed changed up the vocals putting in some awesome higher notes.

*Here's a link to my recording of Long Road for anyone interested: http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x64/jonfisher_photos/?action=view&current=MOV00128.flv

I feel exactly the same - Release would be my fave, Long Road second, couldn't believe it when they opened in Wembley with LR, had everything crossed for Release in Copenhagen but they played Long Road again - I need to hear Release live, its one of the only songs i'm desperate to hear live (and also Smile :) )
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,550
    I know what you mean.

Many overrated releases out there. My main beef with the recent performances is how Eddie sings the chorus. The 'releeeeeeeeeease' is gone. Now he just rushes through the word, which almost ruins the mood for me. That word and eddie's delivery of it, knowing its meaning and how it was written and inspired is what makes the song so great!

I remember getting the 2003 bootlegs and putting on a boot with release. Release kept building up and me with it. I got ready to sing out the release part with Eddie and was underwhelmed by his new take on it. Ah well, time changes I guess..

I urge you to listen to Atlanta 2000! I remember I put that one on a mix tape of particularly great performances from the 2000 tour. That is a very nice one! Most 2000 versions are good...

and with the releeeeeeeeeease meeeeeee:-)
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    i forgot about that night too....that was a great opener...i loved eds solo i am mine that night too...but release was amazing! sometimes, the night before, not so much :D

Yeah "I am Mine" was a great pre-set. I remember listening to it and it was getting to the bridge part and I was thinking, "How the hell is he going to pull this off by himself?" But he did it. The pre-sets for all the SF 06 shows were great (Dead Man, Drifting, I am Mine).

Yeah Sometimes was a bummer. I thought it would have been cool if they played Daughter later in the show and the tag was the part of Sometimes he forgot! "seek my part, devote myself..."
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    chicago 03 is by far the best version........probably doesnt get credit cause not sure people have this boot

Chicago 2003 and 2000 are both very good.

I saw Atlanta 2000 and it was excellent.

To me, personally, the MSG II 98 version is the best. Eddie sounds like he is busting a lung on this version.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    Niko80 wrote:
    I know what you mean.

Many overrated releases out there. My main beef with the recent performances is how Eddie sings the chorus. The 'releeeeeeeeeease' is gone. Now he just rushes through the word, which almost ruins the mood for me. That word and eddie's delivery of it, knowing its meaning and how it was written and inspired is what makes the song so great!

I remember getting the 2003 bootlegs and putting on a boot with release. Release kept building up and me with it. I got ready to sing out the release part with Eddie and was underwhelmed by his new take on it. Ah well, time changes I guess..

I urge you to listen to Atlanta 2000! I remember I put that one on a mix tape of particularly great performances from the 2000 tour. That is a very nice one! Most 2000 versions are good...

and with the releeeeeeeeeease meeeeeee:-)

ok, one person knows what i'm talking about!!

i'll check out the versions you recommend

some people have said katowice 2000 is great, but that is the one i'm talking about where he leaves out a whole freakin verse!!!!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Best Release = Tokyo 2003

Boston I 2004 is a close second

I was just about to say that version of Release is the very worst ive heard lol
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0oIcG75MQ

Yep, I was there and it was beautiful. Pittsburgh 06, and i think it ranks it the top ten of all time.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687

Yep, I was there and it was beautiful. Pittsburgh 06, and i think it ranks it the top ten of all time.

Stuffnjunk, tell me you watch that and don't get chills/teary. (I got both.)

That version is very similiar to the SF III version that has been mentioned.

Amazing.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,298
    i have a personal great memory of KC '03...crazy rain storm, and when ed got to the "oh, dear dad...can you hear me now?" part, a HUGE bolt of lightning flashed across the sky..."hi dad" was his response...amazing.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    mateo45mateo45 the Central Coast of California Posts: 91
    release opened up san jose '95, and it was amazing. looking back, the second ed's vocals began with the low "ohhh" it was really the moment that pearl jam became my favorite band. there may be better versions around, and songs they might do better, but there is just something special about being at a show that opens up with release. i've been to quite a few shows, and two of my top three openened up with release, the other being SF III. it's simply breath taking.
    "there's no lights by the stairs? oh, they'll be fine..."-ed, 11/4/95 san jose
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,550
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    ok, one person knows what i'm talking about!!

i'll check out the versions you recommend

some people have said katowice 2000 is great, but that is the one i'm talking about where he leaves out a whole freakin verse!!!!

Many tend to recommend the shows with the best sound, but great sound doesnt automatically mean great performances. At least to me...

You can also check out indio 1993 for a nice version! Eddie was very strong that night! Its the fuck me in the brain and shoe the shoeless show! I can do a b+p for the DVD if you dont have it. One of my favourite boots ever!

Just paypal me 10 bucks for shipping and i'll ship it out to you. Send me a pm!

Now, Im off to Paris to catch Neil Young:-) Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet (cartman style)
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    this song is absolutely spine tingling.....i could go on forever about how great it is.....and i know it is improvised and he never wrote the lyrics down, and it is only played a few times on each tour...

BUT MAN, EDDIE HAS REALLY BUTCHERED THIS SONG IN RECENT YEARS!!

he forgets the best parts of the lyrics, leaves out the first verse, sings the first chorus too many times, pronounces the word "release" in a weird way, etc

any live version of this amazingly beautiful song i've sought out from recent years has really.......kinda sucked

guess i'll stick to the album version, atlanta 94, and melbourne 95

I disagree. Sydney1 06 was a mazing. When he sung "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me" Will live with me forever as it echoed around the arena. Check this version out.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Washington, San Fran, Sydney, LA, Pittsburgh 2006 are BRILLIANT i think. his voice on these versions of Release is miles better than on some on RA & Yield tours. and the band sound great

the 92-94 performances of it are great too...but that sydney one played on rotation for weeks in my house after i got my hands on it.

(i think the nijmegen performance was a bit sketchy from vids ive seen of it though...)
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,085

WOW, that was GOOOOOOOOOD :D
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Release was the very first song I heard live.
    It was at the Point Dublin '96.

It was unreal. Couldn't of picked a better song to open with.
    Justing seeing the outline of the band as they play it.

Dying to hear them open with it again.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Stuffnjunk, tell me you watch that and don't get chills/teary. (I got both.)

That version is very similiar to the SF III version that has been mentioned.

Amazing.
    yeah, thats a pretty good one.....and the video looks great!

but it also contains my main beef with the song - the way he cuts short the word "release" in the last few years

thats the best part of the song, the "releeeeeeeeeeease meeeeeeeeeee!!!"

and now he just says "release' really quick and, in my humble opinion, he is leaving out the best part of this amazing song
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    I've heard it twice, and both times it just moved me to tears.

I remember being stood on the gradinata in Verona, surrounded by thousands of wet fans in different coloured raincoats. We were getting a bit annoyed at the rain, but we just kept hanging on to the hope that the band would be inspired by the rain and open with Release. People say that when you finally get something you've wanted it's never as good as you thought it would be. But, the second we heard that riff, my life was momentarily perfect. It WAS exactly how i imagined it would be, and i felt more joy than i thought possible. It didn't matter that Ed apparently had a bit of a cold and it wasn't the greatest version, but the feelings that came with the performance are unmatched. I can still feel what i was feeling at that moment. Before PJ, i didn't know music could do this to a person.

The second time was in Nijmegen. It rained a little during the afternoon, but then it cleared up and the sun came out. Walking around the park that day was just the most relaxing, soothing experience. Everyone we met was really nice and the environment was beautiful. Trees, birds, the little zoo in the park...all just lovely. It was the last show i'd be attending, and opening with Release again was perfect. It was even more perfect that it was the only time it was played in 2007. Being about 3 or 4 rows back in a crowd of about 40,000 people who were all singing along was sublime. It was the best way i could imagine starting my last show.

Oops, back on topic....
    I think Ed sings the song now better than he ever did. In '92 his voice was too scrappy, but in '94 he finally nailed it. Then it all went pear-shaped in '95 with what i think is his worst tour in terms of vocals. From 2000 onwards it's just got better and better, though. Now, Ed is a frickin' machine when it comes to singing it. The guy is a force of nature :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    no other song gets screwed up so bad

Do The Evolution - duh
    Evenflow - the champ of all time messups
    Wishlist - "I wish I was a singer who remembered all the words". nuff said.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"