question about Rearviewmirror (greatest hits)

edited December 2007 in The Porch
1. Why is SOLAT and Breath on there? Were they ever released as singles or were they actual hits? kinda weird that they are on there. I'd rather have a remastered Porch.

2. How many of the early songs are remixed by Brendan O'brien?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I think SOLAT and Breath shoulda been on Lost dogs. Some people would agree. And what's the deal with Yellow Ledbetter being on both lost Dogs and greatest hits? I've never been able to figure that one out. :confused:
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • why the hell is Who You Are on there????? :confused:
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • why the hell is Who You Are on there????? :confused:

I think by "greatest hits" they really meant "songs released as singles". HUGE DIFFERENCE!

I think if it were actual hits they would have to stop at Yeild + Last Kiss.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Sounds cynical but I guess the inclusion of Yellow Ledbetter (and Last Kiss I guess) on both Lost Dogs and Rearviewmirror is just a way to shift more records, since they are some of the bands most well known songs and happen to be B-sides.

I don't know why SOLAT or Breath were on Rearviewmirror though.
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    MrSmith wrote:
    1. Why is SOLAT and Breath on there? Were they ever released as singles or were they actual hits? kinda weird that they are on there. I'd rather have a remastered Porch.

They were both released on the "Singles" soundtrack. :)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,539
    Well, since it was going to be a double album, I guess they needed some fillers. And solat was an easy choice seing its one of the best songs pearl jam has ever written.

And remember, it got alot of radio play and attention back in the days after Singles and MTV unplugged.

The song was also sent out to radio stations on its own promo disc.
    I will swallow poison
  • They were both released on the "Singles" soundtrack. :)

that actually makes weird sense. :)
  • correct me if I'm wrong but...

if we are defining "hits" as billboard standings, then a pearl jam GH would be real short. As I understand it, Last Kiss is their only official chart hit.
    so leaving it up to the band, the term greatest hits becomes subjective.

they do what the want to do as usual.
  • MrSmith wrote:

You know if you want "Porch" remastered so bad, just ask me and I can do it (PM me). As for "Breath" and "State of Love and Trust", it's pretty cool that they're on there. I mean, I don't wanna have only greatest hits, but also a few non-album tracks accompanying them. That's the way a good greatest hits should be.

If you wanna know how many songs were remixed by Brendan O'brien, just look at the songs that are labeled with the "2004 remix".
  • You know if you want "Porch" remastered so bad, just ask me and I can do it (PM me). As for "Breath" and "State of Love and Trust", it's pretty cool that they're on there. I mean, I don't wanna have only greatest hits, but also a few non-album tracks accompanying them. That's the way a good greatest hits should be.

If you wanna know how many songs were remixed by Brendan O'brien, just look at the songs that are labeled with the "2004 remix".

Do you have the "Porch" masters?
  • MrSmith wrote:
    Why is SOLAT and Breath on there? Were they ever released as singles or were they actual hits? kinda weird that they are on there. I'd rather have a remastered Porch.

I agree that Porch should have been included. but SOLAT and Breath should be too. They're easily two of the band's best and most accessible songs. and while it's not a single, I would have liked to see Grievance on it instead of Light Years.

as for the inclusion of Last Kiss and Yellow Ledbetter on both the greatest hits and lost dogs, well, Last Kiss being on both is lame. I think they made lost dogs not knowing that they would later make a greatest hits. while Last Kiss makes sense on a rarities album (it's a christmas single), it would have been much better suited on just the greatest hits. and the studio Yellow Ledbetter owns and should be on both
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I could see it going either way with those two songs. They where both on the singles soundtrack, and that was a pretty popular soundtrack in its time, however just like any other song that doesn't have an official release on a studio album it makes more sense in a rarities collection. Either way I am not a huge fan of Greatest Hits albums. Once you take the songs outside of their original context and just randomly toss them together in a greatest hits album, IMO you weaken the impact of the song. But then again, I tend to be someone who listens to whole albums and not individual songs, so to each their own.
  • You know if you want "Porch" remastered so bad, just ask me and I can do it (PM me). As for "Breath" and "State of Love and Trust", it's pretty cool that they're on there. I mean, I don't wanna have only greatest hits, but also a few non-album tracks accompanying them. That's the way a good greatest hits should be.

i lost all my cd cases ages ago.... :(
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    muppet wrote:
    Sounds cynical but I guess the inclusion of Yellow Ledbetter (and Last Kiss I guess) on both Lost Dogs and Rearviewmirror is just a way to shift more records, since they are some of the bands most well known songs and happen to be B-sides.

I don't know why SOLAT or Breath were on Rearviewmirror though.

They're popular songs that are somewhat difficult to find. I wouldn't have bought a copy if they hadn't been included.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I could see it going either way with those two songs. They where both on the singles soundtrack, and that was a pretty popular soundtrack in its time, however just like any other song that doesn't have an official release on a studio album it makes more sense in a rarities collection. Either way I am not a huge fan of Greatest Hits albums. Once you take the songs outside of their original context and just randomly toss them together in a greatest hits album, IMO you weaken the impact of the song. But then again, I tend to be someone who listens to whole albums and not individual songs, so to each their own.

As long as they're sold at a resonable price (not $30 like the Stones) I like Greatest Hits albums because they help introduce new people to the music. many of my favorite bands have been introduced to me via a Greatest Hits package.
  • xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    MrSmith wrote:

I always wondered that too. They weren't released as singles, they weren't popular on the radio...so WTF? Porch is a bigger song for them....even Why Go. And shit...Love Boat Captain was a single, where was that on RVM????
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    MrSmith wrote:
    I think by "greatest hits" they really meant "songs released as singles". HUGE DIFFERENCE!

I think if it were actual hits they would have to stop at Yeild + Last Kiss.

Nothing as it Seems and I am Mine hit the top 100.
    I miss igotid88
  • ii44 wrote:
    As long as they're sold at a resonable price (not $30 like the Stones) I like Greatest Hits albums because they help introduce new people to the music. many of my favorite bands have been introduced to me via a Greatest Hits package.

Thats true, I hadn't thought about that. I do own some Greatest Hits discs, and bought a number of them when I was younger. I guess what bothers me is a number of my friends discover new bands via limewire, and then buy a greatest hits album as their only album for a band they like. Kinda the whole "only the radio singles are important" mentality, and that drives me crazy.
  • jmcjcjmcjc Posts: 90
    i absolutely hate that song. the only pj song i cant stand. can anyone help me to see the redeeming value? it seems to drag. i am a huge pj fan; but i skip this one every time .

sacramento , 10/30/00
    - bridge schools-
    san francisco, 7/15/06
    (berkley #1 - 4/7/08)- Ed tour
    universal city, 2009
    (oakland #1- 7/11/11) -Ed tour