your thoughts on the 2007 fan club single

mookmook Posts: 78
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I will always be appreciative of new PJ material, but I cant help but feel very disappointed with the latest fan club single offering.

It is obviously not meant for the same greatness as a studio album, but I thought this offering was rather weak even compared to the live songs and covers of the past couple of years.

I was hoping for something that I can play on Christmas day that my family won't want to run away from. :(

Still nice though.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    I think we need to take into consideration that last year's single was originally recorded for a movie soundtrack and professionally produced (BO'B). Santa God certainly does not stand up to that standard. Having said that, I definitely appreciate the fact that PJ took the time to go into the studio and record a tune specifically for the Christmas single.
    To be honest, I really don't see anything to complain about here.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • mookmook Posts: 78
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not really a complaint, more a note of slight disappointment.
  • Santa God is a decent song. It's not one of my favorite PJ songs, but it may rank in the middle somewhere. That being said, I think I could only listen to it, and enjoy it, around the holidays. Unlike most other singles, which are enjoyable year 'round.

As for Jingle Bells.. I was fired up when I saw that it was Mike doing the song. I was however, disappointed. It sounded a bit generic, and I swear I've heard almost the exact interpretation before. I was hoping for some Yellow Ledbetter-esque solo stuff :D

It is nice, like was mentioned, that they went into the studio (everyone but Stone.. that Grinch), to record the album. I welcome any new PJ material. Hopefully this starts a trend of getting the single out in time for the holidays, or at least near them.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • It's the thought that counts.

Be grateful we have a band that takes the time to do this for us and have it on our doorstep around Christmas.
  • I like it. It's not something I will listen to all the time. But I do know that next yeat Jingle Bells will be my ring tone.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • I never expect the Christmas single to be a mind-blowing experience. It's the little trinket they send our way, and I like Santa God as a holiday song. Clearly, it's nothing you crank on the radio in June, but it's not terrible. The only thing I think would disappoint me would be if they covered Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time".
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    im happy to receive a single every year and love the fact that they records unique songs just for us, but, yes this one has been the weakest in a while. jingle bells was meh at best...i hated the drum machine throughout the whole song and santa god was just ok. the best part was the art and ed's handwriting. i love the little angel picture.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • The only thing I think would disappoint me would be if they covered Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time".

Only funny because the xmas single tradition is borrowed from The Beatles Christmas Record ... :D

Other than that, i know what you mean. The "bwah bwah bwah bwah" synthesizer is enough to make you wanna kill on Wonderful Christmas Time!
    loll.

I think it would be rockin awesome good fun if the boys would attempt ... yes attempt ... a punked out rocking version of Christmas Time (Is Here Again) ... i can see eddie layering some vocals to make it really edgey ... the studio constantly one upping his last refrain of the lyrics ...

but dreams i shall continue to have.
    :D

Have not heard the single yet (out of touch).
    Haven't renewed my membership expired mid december either. YIKES! get on that man.

:cool:
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    It seemed pretty typical to me other than no live song from a show on it, and two x-mas themed songs versus one.

Just be happy it is Jan. and we are talking about it instead of Arpil and May
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I like this one better than last years by far.

Santa God has some great lyrics.
  • yeah i think last year's was worse. Keep on Rockin' with U2? i dont think so.

but whatever. i'm happy something is out, and its out so early!
  • jeffer96jeffer96 Posts: 136
    mook wrote:
    I will always be appreciative of new PJ material, but I cant help but feel very disappointed with the latest fan club single offering.

It is obviously not meant for the same greatness as a studio album, but I thought this offering was rather weak even compared to the live songs and covers of the past couple of years.

I was hoping for something that I can play on Christmas day that my family won't want to run away from. :(

Still nice though.

Hell, I thought it was pretty good actually. Best version of Jingle Bells ever!
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    It's the thought that counts.

Be grateful we have a band that takes the time to do this for us and have it on our doorstep around Christmas.
    well said
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    This years christmas LP was better than last years for sure. That was one rockin version of jingle bells and Santa God was cool, nice to have a new pj original song to listen too.

Love reign oer me was awesome, but RITFW with Bono with addition improved lyrics- horrendous :eek: even if it was for a charitable cause.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    When did the new xmas single start arriving? I hadn't thought about it until now.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • No complaints here. After a few weeks of listening, I'm still digging Santa God. Its a nice little poppy tune. Its better than I expected it to be.

And, I really appreciate the guys taking the time to go record an original song for this single. When was the last time that was actually done - Strangest Tribe/Driftin'?
  • I am pretty happy with it. I like the new stuff over live versions of songs anyday. And christmas is so saturated with crappy songs that it is nice to have a couple more good ones.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I am pretty happy with it. I like the new stuff over live versions of songs anyday. And christmas is so saturated with crappy songs that it is nice to have a couple more good ones.

I agree. Plus maybe his kid likes the tune?

It's not like I was expecting a 12 minute long remastered extended version of Immortality or something. :rolleyes:
    NERDS!
  • I think both sogns Fucking Rock!!! Everyone gets pissy when they did the stupid U2 song last year, this was 2 very good songs done in the Xmas spirit!!
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • It's not like I was expecting a 12 minute long remastered extended version of Immortality or something. :rolleyes:

ohhh now i want that!
  • covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,326
    I really liked both songs, prefer Santa God. It's in the Christmas rotation along with the Rat Pack.

This string is a little awkward... complaining or voicing a negative opinion about a gift is a little 'off'... do you tell your nana to her face that you dislike the sweater or slippers she gave you for Christmas?
  • Zillah13Zillah13 Posts: 101
    When did y'all get yours?
    I haven't received mine yet!!!!!
    *WAITS IMPATIENTLY*
    Man..... I wish I could put a Pearl Jam pic in here as my siggie!!!! LMFAO!!
  • Blot911Blot911 Houston, Texas Posts: 65
    I haven't received mine yet either, and I'm sitting here on pins and needles waiting for it to arrive! Thankfully I've at least been able to hear the songs online. The waiting is killing me!
    2000/10/15 - Houston, TX
    2003/04/05 - San Antonio, TX
    2003/04/09 - Birmingham, AL
    2007/08/05 - Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza
    2009/10/03 - Austin City Limits TV Taping
    2009/10/04 - Austin City Limits Music Festival
    2022/05/20 - Las Vegas, NV
    2022/09/18 - St. Louis, MO

EV Solo
    2012/11/12 - Houston, TX
    2012/11/13 - Houston, TX
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I like the Christmas single. I too am very grateful that Pearl Jam cares enough about their fans to send us a gift each year.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff