Options

So, I want an iphone

djsmootdjsmoot Posts: 126
edited December 2007 in The Porch
i need some help ... I want an iphone but the only thing that is holding me back is AT&T based on the lolla fiasco ... am I holding the line too hard, does it really matter, I need some help... let me know what you think
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I played with a friends the other night, and wasn't that impressed.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Well there are about 12 other phones that do nearly the same thing or more than the iphone. I would wait on it personally.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I love my iPod, love love love it, but I couldn't justify spending that much on an iPhone, mainly because I have more music than would fit on one and my iPod is still in real good condition. I've never felt the desire to carry music on the phone I have now, although it has some storage space. Now if one comes out that holds 30G+, I might reconsider, but not until this one needs to be replaced.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    Wait for the next generation iPhone to come out.
    Remember the first generation iPods? Compare them to the iPods they're making today. Smaller, cheaper, more memory and those cool color screens.

Unless you absolutely NEED one, I'd say wait for the price to come down and the quality to go up.
    motel money murder madness
  • Options
    By the way, didn't AT&T issue an apology for the Lollapalooza thing?
    So forgive & forget.
  • Options
    Don't get an iPhone. All the reviews I've read for it have been bad. Just get an iPod and then a phone.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Curly Joe wrote:
    By the way, didn't AT&T issue an apology for the Lollapalooza thing?
    So forgive & forget.

Yes, but that's not the point. Rather AT&T being in control of the content that is transmitted by it, eg - news and such. This is why Eddie said he is holding out on buying an iphone, as he stated in his last RS interview.

To each his own opinion of course.
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:
    Yes, but that's not the point. Rather AT&T being in control of the content that is transmitted by it, eg - news and such. This is why Eddie said he is holding out on buying an iphone, as he stated in his last RS interview.

I thought he had an iphone actually. I remember a pic of him with one in his shirt pocket.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I thought he had an iphone actually. I remember a pic of him with one in his shirt pocket.

If that's true,

then he got over it

:)
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    Get one. They are so much fun and endless hours of entertainment. My husband got one when they first came out and it is still as much fun as back then. We have dropped it plenty of times, no scratches, he even hacked it loaded software and re-imaged it. No problems.

GOT FOR IT!
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:
    If that's true,

then he got over it

:)

Plus I'm sure he didn't have to pay too much for it. If he did, he can probably afford to test it out. :)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069

that wasn't an iphone. there was no camera on the back of it.

also, i love my ipod. my bro has an iphone and loves it, but he got it as a birthday present. he wasn't even gonna consider getting one himself till next year or whenever they release the new generation. will be much better. internet will be much, much faster on it etc.
  • Options
    I got my iphone about 3 months ago and love it! I don't have a single complaint - waited for it to go from $500 - $300, worth the price for me...It takes excellent pictures and I love the touch screen especially for emailing & web. I already had the 30G ipod which I also love and listen to in my car/house...I use the songs on my phone for exercising. Has a cool feature when the phone rings, it fades out the music in the earbuds and alerts you and you can just talk on the earbuds (has a small mic on the cord to talk into).

Anyway, I am very happy with it so far and just hope it lasts for at least 2-3 years...
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:

It is the point, though. If this person is hesitant to buy an iPhone with AT&T service because they censored Pearl Jam's broadcast, AT&T publicly admitted they screwed up, apologized, and claimed they would take steps to ensure it does not happen again. What more do you want? Blood?

AT&T does not control any of the content you can get on the iPhone. You can access any website in the world, for example this one. AT&T has no control over it.
    They can, however, control what gets broadcast over their AT&T Blue Room website, which is how Pearl Jam got censored. For Eddie, it's kinda personal. But why should the average person give a shit?
  • Options
    the pearl jam thing is minor compared to at&t handing over private information to the government......and so what if at&t apologized about the lollapalooza censoring.....at&t has a long track record of violating numerous laws....and there is little doubt that the censoring at lolla was completely intentional, otherwise it would have happened during other points of the show....their apology is a hollow, meaningless action to save face......do whatever you want, but is having an iphone worth using a business that has a long history of extremely questionable business practices, or having your private info handed over to the gov't no questions asked......furthermore, i suggest people do this with all products they purchase or companies they frequent because people seem not to realize that their own integrity is at stake.....so educate yourself......that's my piece.....soapbox free.....have a great sunday....dunt dunt da daaaaa....dadunt dadunt
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    Curly Joe wrote:
    But why should the average person give a shit?

because it reeks of fascism....and as far as their apology....actions speak louder than words....i would have been a lot more impressed had they, in light of their actions, donated a good amount of money to some non-prof org dedicated to the preservation and advancement of free speech.....
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    Curly Joe wrote:
    It is the point, though. If this person is hesitant to buy an iPhone with AT&T service because they censored Pearl Jam's broadcast, AT&T publicly admitted they screwed up, apologized, and claimed they would take steps to ensure it does not happen again. What more do you want? Blood?

AT&T does not control any of the content you can get on the iPhone. You can access any website in the world, for example this one. AT&T has no control over it.
    They can, however, control what gets broadcast over their AT&T Blue Room website, which is how Pearl Jam got censored. For Eddie, it's kinda personal. But why should the average person give a shit?

Hey, I didn't say it, Eddie did.
    :) didn't claim he was right or anything.
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    I prefer Nokia N95

my 2 cents :D
  • Options
    Wait for the next Gen.

AT&T confirmed that a new iphone is in development, which will be using 3G technology, rather than the current 2.5G (internet will be much faster).

So either you will get a better phone when it comes out, or the current phone will be much cheaper.

I say wait.

By the way I tried it, an was not impressed by the keyboard, I was having trouble typing a URL correctly, it kept inputting the letter next to the onei was going for. Still want one though!
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    If you tried to boycott every dishonest company with questionable business practices, you'd be left living in a dirt hole wearing animal skins. Maybe you should go with one of those small, independent "mom & pop" telecommunication conglomerates.

My understanding is that AT&T turned over call records to the NSA in cooperation with the government's effort to track "terrorist communication" which I admit is probably bullshit. But unless you're up to no good, who cares? They're not recording or listening in on your phone calls. All they're doing is providing the government with records of which phone number placed a call to which other phone number.

I stand by my statement : Why should the average person give a shit? They can track my calls all they want. What are they gonna do, bust me for making personal calls at work or forgetting to call my mom on Mother's Day?
  • Options
    if youre ok with the fact that youre over paying for the name of a manufacturer notorious for making crummy products especially with the first version of a product... then i dont see why you should let the service provider stop you... quite frankly they provide the best service out of the other phone companies ive used...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Get the iPhone. Everyone that has one is happy with them, they are updating them via downloads on iTunes. Don't listen to the naysayers they don't have one or can't afford one so they will naturally diss them. I posted this message on my iPhone, plus I've bought stuff off 10c with it as well as posters off BoNA. It's a one for all devise, and I've got an iPod with about 15000 songs on it but everyday I transfer my favorites off my iPod playlist and have almost 2000 songs on my iPhone. I quit carrying my laptop also... Just get it... Screw the naysayers.
    the Minions
  • Options
    Lesbelges wrote:
    Wait for the next Gen.

AT&T confirmed that a new iphone is in development, which will be using 3G technology, rather than the current 2.5G (internet will be much faster).

So either you will get a better phone when it comes out, or the current phone will be much cheaper.

I say wait.

By the way I tried it, an was not impressed by the keyboard, I was having trouble typing a URL correctly, it kept inputting the letter next to the onei was going for. Still want one though!

Yeah,

Just read they're going to be putting out a faster one soon
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    I love my iphone. I have been many places now where I have said to myself "Thank god, I had this phone".. Plus, I can post on the pit any time :)

About the AT&T thing, I guess thats up to you. I think all cell phone companies are shady in their own right. I was screwed by cingular back in the day, but I guess I really wanted that iphone.

I do think the iphone is well worth it. Best phone I have ever owned.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    Wow, this thread is like a history book.. Check out all the IPhone chatter, crazy how much more everyone relies on there phones in just 8 years. enjoy
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited September 2015
    Curly Joe said:

Maybe you should go with one of those small, independent "mom & pop" telecommunication conglomerates.

:lol: I like this comment. Funny!
    I won't use Apple products myself because I feel like they pigeon-hole you.
    I remember trying to convince my bro-in-law that he should consider ditching the Blackberry and switch to Android or Apple. He thought I was a complete idiot for saying that, haha (I hope he didn't react like that because he invested with them, but I wouldn't be surprised!).

I literally cannot even imagine what it's like without a smartphone even though I was born in 1976 and didn't even get my first cell phone (with an antenna) until I was 26 or so. That's crazy, and I'm kind of ashamed, but damn, they are amazing gadgets. I can't believe I spent the majority of my life just wandering off into the world each day without a way to communicate and get information, besides finding a pay phone. I do miss a lot about "the old days", but not having smartphones certainly isn't one of them (but I do not like the smartphone addicts one bit - the ones who literally have no idea what's happening around them because they are too focused on their device - that is super annoying. And fuck the texting while driving people too).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Apple stuff works. Plain and simple. They can pigeon hole me all they want : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542

Apple stuff works. Plain and simple. They can pigeon hole me all they want : )

Android stuff works too (and from what I can gather, Androids actually work better than iphones since they never have weird outages or messed up app shit happening), and I don't feel pigeon-holed, so win-win for me. :) But yeah, I know a lot of people are faithful to Apple. Whatever works for you.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Apple products, Honda vehicles, Dr. Martens and Topps baseball cards have treated me well 3 decades and counting. I'm THEIR identified marketing sucker. Haha!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    iSheeple