Options

{-|-}

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
edited March 2005 in Poetry, Prose, Music & Art
The river and the city lights, the high-rise on the other side:
It was cold, so you grabbed a blanket, but we didn't cuddle.

And it was late when we started and later when we left,
But you didn't seem to notice and I'm always up that late.

Sometimes you scare me, because even though you aren't mine,
You can make me so happy, and that's power over me.

I almost called you one night, drunk and depressed, but I didn't,
And I would want you to call me if it was you, but still...

Do I take you in my arms and claim you for mine, or wait?
For what? For you to fall in love with me? It's all I want.

And it's the one thing you can never ask of someone, to love:
So we sat by the river and talked, and for now, that's enough.
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wow, amazing poem. i had this kind of feeling about a girl last year. you nailed the feeling down real way. nice.
    "be a philosopher but, amid all your philosophy, be first a man" - david hume

Mitch Hedberg- RIP 1968-2005. your jokes have laughed me through a lot. I thank you.
  • Options
    StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    That is a really nice poem! I think most people will have gone through that at some time in their lives.
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Options
    Brilliant........brilliant......
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • Options
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    That is a really nice poem! I think most people will have gone through that at some time in their lives.

That's exactly what I was going to say. You beat me to it! I think EVERYBODY goes through that AT LEAST once in their lives.

Great poem, mccreadyisgod!!!
  • Options
    coleencoleen Posts: 938
    And it's the one thing you can never ask of someone, to love:
    So we sat by the river and talked, and for now, that's enough.

truer words were never spoken.

hugs and happiness to you :)
  • Options
    coleen wrote:
    truer words were never spoken.

Doesn't stop me from WANTING to ask.

coleen wrote:
    hugs and happiness to you :)

Much appreciated... :)
  • Options
    Doesn't stop me from WANTING to ask.

then ask, if this is someone that is worth the risk of breaking your own heart...ask.

i spent a lifetime longing quietly from afar. waiting for "the" someone.

last year, i believed with every particle of my being that i had found that someone, ya know how i knew? i was more afraid of letting them go without ever knowing what we could be, than i was of keeping my heart safe. i'll tell you something else, it didn't work out.

did it hurt? naturally. i'll never find the words to tell you how sad i was about it. but i'll tell you the most important thing i learned. i didn't die, it wasn't the end of the world or of happiness, love still exists and i still believe that one day love will call me by my name. even if a relationship or a friendship or a life isn't what it used to be, love doesn't die...it changes, evolves and stays with you forever. when the sadness subsides, you are able to replay all the memories that made you cry with a smile instead. it won't hurt to think of all the reasons you loved, the characteristics you were drawn to, the nuances and the precious ways that someon had. and you will once again be thankful to possess a heart that can love.

so ask yourself, and if your heart responds with that blessed infinitessimal yes....then ask. :)

whatever you decide...happiness, hope and hugs for you and your beautiful heart.
  • Options
    ISNISN Posts: 1,700
    that's so true.....colleen.....true and sweet.....I jus wrote an email to my texan joe.....the only love of my life......and I never expected it to work out.....but.....well, it was love......and everything b4 and after has been a sham......I never say I'm in love.....unless I'm REALLY in love.....(only once).....and that time has gone......and I'm 38 with a baby.....a beautiful baby.....but he's right.....you can't push it.....don't ever push it......it doesn't work......it's got to be mutual and magical and transcendental etc.....and the stuff of which poetry is made......it has to be right......you can't force it........good luck McCready is God......such tender feelings......but tender is the night.......:)
    ....they're asking me to prove why I should be allowed to stay with my baby in Australia, because I'm mentally ill......and they think I should leave......
  • Options
    isn, do you really believe we can only be "in love" once in a lifetime? don't misunderstand, i get that there is a huge difference between loving and being in love - but i guess i always believed that the heart has such an immense capacity for love that we aren't restricted by a quota. maybe the moon-eyed girl in me is getting herself all carried away in hope and magic that love can be.

asking doesn't always lead to getting. i know you can't conjure love in someone else's heart, i never intended to suggest that the matter can be pushed....just that hiding one's heart isn't always the answer.
  • Options
    hey.....no.....don't mistake me.....I believe in falling in love more than once.....I jus happened to have been in love only once.....and that was when I was 34, and he was 21.......I jus don't believe in 'saying' you're 'in love' every time you're fond of someone or you have affection for someone or you're crazy about someone......I've only been in love once......I'm hoping to fall in love again......but I don't say that I'm 'in love' with everyone.....even teh father of my child......I told him.......I love you......but I'm not 'in love' with you......people seem to go around saying they're 'in love' with everyone else.....and make it sound so cheap......my ex screwed me......figured......he 'loved' me....but he screwed me so bad........I don't all in love with anyone......heh......that's me......
    ....they're asking me to prove why I should be allowed to stay with my baby in Australia, because I'm mentally ill......and they think I should leave......
  • Options
    i understand what you're sayin. i hadn't ever believed i was in love until the person i mentioned. i'd loved people in the past, like you've said, but "in love" is something ethereal. i think both people have to be "in love" to have that something we all dream about...so it's hard to say if what i had falls into that category either. but whatever it was ran deeper than anything i ever experienced.

here's hoping for us all.

and my apologies to our friend MIG for hijacking the thread. ;)
  • Options
    hey....ya know Johnny Texan wasn't exactly 'in love' with me....but I know what I felt....and well, we're still in touch.....and I'm waiting and hoping....after all, I was 34.......I jus don't throw love around like popcorn, ya know......hey sorry mc cready is god....we totally started talking about love.....ya know
  • Options
    I told her how I feel, if that makes any difference. Told her a while ago, while she was still with someone else (I've had a crush on her for almost two years, and it was to the point where I couldn't sleep, something had to give). The night where I wrote that poem was when she told me she'd broken up with that person. And while I thought that was a good sign, she's been distant ever since. So I don't know if she's not interested, or confused, or waiting for me to make the first move...

Too much drama.

All I know is how happy she makes me.