Grateful Dead

Comments

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tara wrote:
    arg, same, she bothers me so much, what was the band thinking

Let me guess.... "Hey, after 3 hits of Owsleys finest, she doesn't sound too bad!"
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I'm amazed with the no love Donna is getting in this thread. Hearing her and Bob singing ''Going Down The Road Feeling Bad'', I love that song. One of just a few songs IMO Donna made great.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Why did the Deadhead say after he got off drugs?
    Damn, this music sucks.

;)
  • What a long strange trip it's been. Still missing Jerry...
    New shows to be announced soon for their 50th anniversary
    Soldier Field July 3, 4 5. Trey is on board as one of the rotating guitar players
    Rumors are Phish might open the shows...how crazy would that be?
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Soldier field with trey and Hornsby announced. I wish I could make that.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Soldier field with trey and Hornsby announced. I wish I could make that.
    +1 =P~ . I missed the boat the first time around w/ Grateful Dead and would love to experience these shows. Ain't gonna happen tho as the 4th is always family time for us.
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Would be pretty awesome to see.... Hopefully things line up and I can make the trip. I'd love to be able to see them once.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • for me personally,
    there is no way i can miss this. that is a for sure.
    if i did miss it i would regret it for as long as i live.
    see ya there!!
  • Europe 72
  • Europe 72
    spring 1990
    for so many reasons...

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Also did Althea which was good.. Bob looks good haven't seen him in a while.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • anybody get their ticket rejection letters yet? read the first batch they sent out were pink slips of paper and then now change to white paper(pink is harsh! lol)
    so far i haven't heard/received anything and am remaining hopeful.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    one of the greatest bands
    just fucking fantastic
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • bob was really on the top of his game this year. gd50 incredible. mayer tour incredible
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I've had a tough time getting into these guys in my life - that is until I found Dick's Picks Volume 8. I see what you all have been going on and on about, finally. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    I've had a tough time getting into these guys in my life - that is until I found Dick's Picks Volume 8. I see what you all have been going on and on about, finally. 
    Ha, glad ya made it. It took me a while too. In college it's was kinda preordained that you were supposed to like they so, being stubborn, I chose not to like them. Fast forward to post-college (and, unfortunately, post-Garcia) and their live album One From The Vault (still one of my favos) is the the portal that did it for me. The fun part about finding them late is there is sooooo much music to discover. Fortunately they were a few decades ahead of their time in recording most of their live shows!

BTW, I noticed on another of your posts somewhere that y'all are expecting baby Two...congrats! :clap:
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    jjflash said:
    Ha, glad ya made it. It took me a while too. In college it's was kinda preordained that you were supposed to like they so, being stubborn, I chose not to like them. Fast forward to post-college (and, unfortunately, post-Garcia) and their live album One From The Vault (still one of my favos) is the the portal that did it for me. The fun part about finding them late is there is sooooo much music to discover. Fortunately they were a few decades ahead of their time in recording most of their live shows!

BTW, I noticed on another of your posts somewhere that y'all are expecting baby Two...congrats! :clap:
    Thanks!! I am hooked & there is a TON of stuff out there. Could take me years to explore it all. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dogmattdogmatt Posts: 98
    I recently picked up a damaged copy of the Cornell 77 vinyl that was being sold at a greatly reduced price.  It is flipping' fantastic! 
    Really opened my eyes to this band that for the longest time I thought was meh.  Good stuff.  Looking forward to discovering more.
  • happy 75th Jerome John. 
  • Just fired up some Red Rocks '78 to celebrate Jer today!  Cheers everyone!
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    Is anyone else going to Bob Weir's birthday party for jerry this Friday at red rocks? If so, does anyone know how the show is going to be structured (bob and camprife, then a long jam with guests and Bobby is my guess?)
    https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-weir-help-celebrate-jerry-garcias-75th-birthday-red-rocks
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Just fired up some Red Rocks '78 to celebrate Jer today!  Cheers everyone!
    Great show! Will Phish cover any GD today is the question...
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Have some friends at MSG tonight hoping for one.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Just fired up some Red Rocks '78 to celebrate Jer today!  Cheers everyone!
    That would be sick.  Will be watching the webcast!
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    edited August 2017
    AXS TV will premiere Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration Featuring Warren Haynes on Saturday, August 5 at 9 p.m. ET/8 p.m.

https://youtu.be/5kNSTJEQ3zE
    Well they ended the show with Rock N' Roll Suicide...
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• i still love this

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/warren-haynes-shares-playlist-of-his-favorite-grateful-dead-songs-listen/

Warren Haynes’ Favorite Grateful Dead Songs

TERRAPIN STATION – The quintessential Grateful Dead “time capsule” song.

CHINA DOLL – I much prefer “live” versions to the studio version. Beautiful haunting melody and lyrics.

CRAZY FINGERS – I love the way the music and melody, which sound nothing like traditional reggae music, are superimposed over the reggae beat. Great chord changes.

COMES A TIME – I always loved the Garcia/Hunter ballads. Gave Jerry plenty of space to emote in. His voice really delivers the emotion of the lyric and melody.

BROKEDOWN PALACE – Another beautiful ballad with a timeless lyric and music that spans back through the history of American music.

SHAKEDOWN STREET – I prefer the slower, funkier “live” versions to the studio version but it’s a classic part of the Dead repertoire.

UNCLE JOHN’S BAND – One of Hunter’s best lyrics – really paints a picture of a beautiful, fictitious story.

HELP ON THE WAY > SLIPKNOT – Classic 1, 2 punch – fans hate to hear them separated, but either on it’s own is great. Cool juxtaposition of a straight ahead, R&B influenced, tune in to a very complex instrumental that’s influenced by jazz and classical music.

RIPPLE – The simplest, but perfect, melody – also one of Hunter’s best lyrics. The audience has to sing along-they have no choice.

BLUES FOR ALLAH – Uniquely beautiful piece of music.

KING SOLOMON’S MARBLES – Another complex instrumental very influenced by jazz and jazz fusion.

STELLA BLUE – Another timeless ballad composed in a way that shows influences from decades before the birth of Rock and Roll.

WHARF RAT – One of those “slow-burn” Dead tunes that signifies their unique, instantly identifiable sound. Great song but also a great vehicle for improvisation.

SCARLET BEGONIAS > FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN – Another pair of classics that the audience loves to hear together, but are equally powerful apart.

Live free stream of Dead & Co tonight...
    https://youtu.be/2jZdJfBOZnE
    Central Park 15