Options

Social Distortion

bearfoot61bearfoot61 Posts: 119
edited November 2006 in Other Music
I was in a tattoo parlour the other day and heard some awesome music. One of the tattooist said it was Social Distortion which surprised me. I don't know if I had ever heard their music, but for some reason, assumed they would be more heavy metal. Can anyone recommend a CD to start with. I loved what I heard, but don't know what songs they were. Thanks
You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets, oh
Or you can come to terms and realize
You're the only one who cannot forgive yourself, oh
Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    bearfoot61 wrote:
    I was in a tattoo parlour the other day and heard some awesome music. One of the tattooist said it was Social Distortion which surprised me. I don't know if I had ever heard their music, but for some reason, assumed they would be more heavy metal. Can anyone recommend a CD to start with. I loved what I heard, but don't know what songs they were. Thanks

well teh best bet is always to go to a record store that lets you listen but my two favs are the last two, Sex Love and Rock and Roll and White Light White Heat White Trash. I just liek production on these records more, i find they have more punch, the older albums have some great songs but the production just doesn't do it for me. all in all Social D fucking rule.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    well teh best bet is always to go to a record store that lets you listen but my two favs are the last two, Sex Love and Rock and Roll and White Light White Heat White Trash. I just liek production on these records more, i find they have more punch, the older albums have some great songs but the production just doesn't do it for me. all in all Social D fucking rule.

White Light, White Heat, White Trash is my favourite. Dear Lover is a fantastic opener. Unlike a lot of bands, I think Social Distortion got better as they went on
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    I saw them live at HFStival in Baltimore in May '05. They were very good. I didn't know anything about them at the time but went out and bought the self-titled album and enjoy it very much. It has 3 of their more popular tunes: "Story of My Life", "Ball and Chain" and the cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire".
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Get the self titled with Story of My Life, Ring of Fire, Ball and Chain, and It Coulda Been Me. You can't go wrong with that CD at all. That would be the best place to start, then you can branch out into the other records. My favorite record by SD is Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell.

WLWHWT is good and has some great songs, but I don't think it is their best. I find it a little monotonous, and doesn't have Mike Ness' best songwriting.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    here's my blurb on S.D...........

they are grooving.

i would've never heard their tunes if it wasn't for the hot mr. ryan gosling. they're in his new movie. half nelson.

i need to check out their cds.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    The live album, Live at the Roxy, is a good place to get introduced to both the older songs and Mike's charming way with the audience. Mike Ness's solo albums are great as well, especially Cheating at Solitare.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    start with their self-titled

if you dig the hits and poppier side, then get 'white light, white heat, white trash' then 'sex, love and rock n roll'

if you dig the hardcore, punkier side, then get 'mommy's little monster' then 'prison bound' then 'somewhere between heaven and hell'
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    merkinball wrote:
    The live album, Live at the Roxy, is a good place to get introduced to both the older songs and Mike's charming way with the audience. Mike Ness's solo albums are great as well, especially Cheating at Solitare.

Cheating at Solitare is amazing, the song with Springsteen and the Dylan cover are fantastic, not taking anything away from his own stuff, solid disc
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Cheating at Solitare is amazing, the song with Springsteen and the Dylan cover are fantastic, not taking anything away from his own stuff, solid disc

The Springsteen duet is very cool, and was totally unexpected. Dope Fiend Blues is probably my favorite track of this album.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 116
    White Light White Heat White Trash is brilliant - one of my favourite albums.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    check out their web site you can listen to some of their songs
    http://www.socialdistortion.com/music.html

some of my favs: pleasure seeker, ring of fire,don't take me for granted, bad luck.......
  • Options
    There is no such thing as bad Social Distortion.

The latest has been getting played alot at home "Sex, Love and Rock n ROll"
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Live At The Roxy
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    i don't know much of them, but I recommend listening to Angels Wings. God I love that song.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    Gawd I’m a dumbass. I was thinking of ‘broken social scene”
    I started listening to some of social distortion and thought gezz this is a lot more punky-er than what was in the movie.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    uuuuuu Posts: 9
    If I ever meet Mike, McCready, I'm going to thank him for introducing me to Social D. White Light White Heat White Trash would be a great place to start, IMO. After that, get the newest release, then go from there. You really can't go wrong. They put on a great live show too.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    BUMP----------------------------------------
    Rumor was Ness is writing a book, haven't heard anything about it in a while.
    Second favorite band.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,877
    Social D is a great freaking band.. Mike Ness is one bad ass dude...
    White Light, White Heat, White Trash
    Sex, Love and Rock 'n' Roll
    Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    Social Distortion (self titled)
    Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes

1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,880
    Like many people have said, their self-titled would be the one that I would recommend to people who are just getting into SD. It has some sense of their punk roots, but also the Johnny Cash influences and sing along songs are there. I personally like Mommy's Little Monster the best because it was my soundtrack as a teen. Their last album was an abomination, but that's just my opinion.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
  • Options
    They are playing the full album white light white heat white trash at riot fest chicago this year.
    Might be my favorite, may have to go.
  • Options
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,298
    Can't wait for their tour to come for the three Chicago dates.  They were great live last year, and I can't believe it took me until 2016 to see Social Distortion live in Milwaukee
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    Their music didn't age well for me.  I can hear the same power chords in all their songs.  As a teenager they were great, now, not so much...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    edited June 2018
    Their music didn't age well for me.  I can hear the same power chords in all their songs.  As a teenager they were great, now, not so much...
    A big chunk of my punk albums are like that.  I file that shit under "Meditation Music"  :lol:

OK Social D fans, I've only got Mommies Little Monster.  What ONE more absolutely best record of theirs do I want next?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    brianlux said:
    A big chunk of my punk albums are like that.  I file that shit under "Meditation Music"  :lol:

OK Social D fans, I've only got Mommies Little Monster.  What ONE more absolutely best record of theirs do I want next?
    @brianlux this one
    Image result for social distortion live album
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    brianlux said:

@brianlux this one
    Image result for social distortion live album
    tempo_n_groove  , I'll check it put, thanks!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

White Light White Heat White Trash.... Kick ass album.