Options

Blind Melon

Comments

• Options
    Jam-fan wrote:
    funny thing about blind melon is that they did this "the more you know" type thing for the number 3. It's called 3 is the magic number, and it is so damn great. There's even a video for it on the internet, along with a bunch of their other videos that they did over the years.

http://beemelon.free.fr/videos.html

check it out

This was actually for the "Schoolhouse Rock! Rocks" album.

1. Schoolhouse Rocky (Original Theme Music) - Bob Dorough & Friends
    2. I'm Just A Bill - Deluxx Folk Implosion
    3. Three Is A Magic Number - Blind Melon
    4. Conjunction Junction - Better Than Ezra
    5. Electricity, Electricity - Goodness
    6. No More Kings - Pavement
    7. The Shot Heard 'Round The World - Ween
    8. My Hero, Zero - The Lemonheads
    9. The Energy Blues - Biz Markie
    10. Little Twelvetoes - Chavez
    11. Verb: That's What's Happening - Moby
    12. Interplanet Janet - Man Or Astro-Man?
    13. Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here - Buffalo Tom
    14. Unpack Your Adjectives - Daniel Johnston
    15. The Tale Of Mr. Morton - Skee-Lo
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    saw blind melon supporting gunsnroses at the milton keynes bowl back in 94, was at the front and can honestly say they made hardly any impression on the crowd(most support slots dont tho), some 2years later I was immersed in Soup(much favoured this over the debut), had it on me walkman everywhere. Wasnt till much later that I discoverd about his death........very sad
  • Options
    My all time favorite band...always.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    larslars Posts: 524
    pjny wrote:
    Incredible tune, incredible band. For those of you interested in checking for some post-Bline Melon projects, check out:

Luma / Unified Theory (this was the band with new vocalist Chris Shinn and.................drummer Dave Krusen)

Abandon Jalopy - This was Brad Smith's project.

There have been many other projects and cameos, but for Blind Melon fans, these won't disappoint!!!

I just discovered Abandon Jalopy....excellent stuff from Brad....but it doesnt get me to miss Shannons voice any less
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Check out a band called American Minor. Chris and Brad had a hand in producing their latest album.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    the way you feel about Blind Melon is how i feel about Faith No More, most people know this band for "Epic" or what some people like to say..."the floppy fish video...."
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 116
    Completely Agree - Massively underated band. I think they got pigeonholed as a bit of novelty band because of no rain, I think they got unfairly lumped in with the Seattle scene of the time, but all three albums are excellent and still listen to them now.
  • Options
    PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    elmer wrote:
    saw blind melon supporting gunsnroses at the milton keynes bowl back in 94, was at the front and can honestly say they made hardly any impression on the crowd(most support slots dont tho), some 2years later I was immersed in Soup(much favoured this over the debut), had it on me walkman everywhere. Wasnt till much later that I discoverd about his death........very sad

They probably opened because Shannon used to do back up vocals for GnR's

Change is covered on a (fairly) new Between the Buried and Me album called "the Anatomy of BTBAM" and I must say, aside from not being able to get Hoons higher pitched singing voice, its a damn fine job!!
  • Options
    kidapollo wrote:
    Change is a great song. I love that tune.

God's Presents is my favorite though. I also like Soul One. It's beautiful.

Galaxie was popular as well. Remember the video for it?

Shannon's death still makes me sad.

I think, for the most part, that one-hit wonder stuff is media bullshit. There is an incredible band playing together in a garage somewhere in the corner of some small town that would blow everyone away if they had access to all of our ears. I'm listening to The Avett Bros. as I type this, and I never would have heard of them if not for someone on this board. They don't have a "hit," but they are awesome. So, fuck that one-hit wonder shit. Who needs anyone to tell them what to listen to or dig?
    Sweet....The Avett Brothers do rule!
    They played in Harrisburg not too long ago.
    Speaking of Shannon Hoon and Blind Melon, they make a reference to Shannon Hoon.
    These guys have deep rock roots.
    Anyway, Blind Melon was a great band.....amazing music.
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Blind Melon will be posting new songs on their myspace page this week, but only for a short time.
  • Options
    Jam-fan wrote:
    this band deserves so much more than one hit wonder status for No Rain. Proabably the most promising early 90s band, and the one with the most tragic tale. It boggles my mind to think of all the great times and music that i missed out on because of Shannon Hoon's death.

their self titled debut was fantastic, and Soup was even better, then Nico comes out years after Shannon's death and you hear Letters from A Porcupine, which is just hiliariously beautiful

is there anyone else out there who can name more Blind Melon songs than just No Rain? It seriously bothers me when someone measures the success of a band by the commercial success of their follow up album to a smash success.

anyone out there who views this thread and just knows Blind Melon for No Rain should go out and listen to the rest of the damn album or at least more of their material!

Oh my god....you think they way I do...lol...I..personally really despise the song "No Rain" but...!...I love everything else they have put out...Especially the album "Soup"...what a kick ass album...loved the song "New Life"..."2x4"..."Vernie"..etc...all good stuff..
    Master of Zen
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    edited March 2015
    when my buddy and I first picked up guitar and bass back in the early 90's, respectively, he insisted on learning no rain. I hated it. I thought it was pop rock trash. It wasn't until, unfortunately, years later that I discovered the rest of their awesome catalogue. No Rain, as many "hits" go, was not a good representation of the band. saw them with the new singer in 2008 at a club. they fucking killed.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2015
    Paper Scratcher is an amazing song. I admit that I bought a blind melon tape when No Rain was being played all the time - so I guess it worked. I still have their CD in my car (Blind Melon hits I upgraded to a CD when I got a new car ) and play this song often actually. Really happy to grow up listening with BM music.

• Options

Paper Scratcher is an amazing song. I admit that I bought a blind melon tape when No Rain was being played all the time - so I guess it worked. I still have their CD in my car (Blind Melon hits I upgraded to a CD when I got a new car ) and play this song often actually. Really happy to grow up listening with BM music.

I like no rain now. Great song. Back when it came out, i was still into mrtallica and metal in general.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533

when my buddy and I first picked up guitar and bass back in the early 90's, respectively, he insisted on learning no rain. I hated it. I thought it was pop rock trash. It wasn't until, unfortunately, years later that I discovered the rest of their awesome catalogue. No Rain, as many "hits" go, was not a good representation of the band. saw them with the new singer in 2008 at a club. they fucking killed.

I consider it their worst song. I always found it strange that, with EVERY single one of their other songs being totally amazing, they chose No Rain, the one relative stinker, to be their top single. But oh well. I absolutely love Blind Melon. I am really hoping they release Nico on vinyl one of these days. It never made it to wax before.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I consider it their worst song. I always found it strange that, with EVERY single one of their other songs being totally amazing, they chose No Rain, the one relative stinker, to be their top single. But oh well. I absolutely love Blind Melon. I am really hoping they release Nico on vinyl one of these days. It never made it to wax before.
    well it's not a surprise, really. it wasn't the band's decision. as all radio singles are, it was decided based on "catchiness" and maximum playability. big fans of any given band often find they dislike the radio singles chosen.

Betterman, for example.

did you like For My Friends with Travis Warren?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2015

PJ_Soul said:

well it's not a surprise, really. it wasn't the band's decision. as all radio singles are, it was decided based on "catchiness" and maximum playability. big fans of any given band often find they dislike the radio singles chosen.

Betterman, for example.

Oh, no. Sorry, when I talk about Blind Melon I am only referring to the one with Shannon Hoon. I don't listen to the "new" Blind Melon at all. I just don't feel a thing when I hear Travis Warren's vocals. They leave me completely empty. I just pretend the band doesn't even exist anymore, and stick with the three "real" albums. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Betterman, for example.

Oh, no. Sorry, when I talk about Blind Melon I am only referring to the one with Shannon Hoon. I don't listen to the "new" Blind Melon at all. I just don't feel a thing when I hear Travis Warren's vocals. They leave me completely empty. I just pretend the band doesn't even exist anymore, and stick with the three "real" albums. ;)
    I hear that. I'd probably feel the same way had I been a bigger fan at the time. I wasn't emotionally invested in the band until after he was gone. Like, if Nirvana had replaced Kurt.

But honestly, I saw them in 2008 and it was incredible. I actually really like FMF. But maybe they should have changed the name to something, like, I don't know, Unified Theory?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Betterman, for example.

I hear that. I'd probably feel the same way had I been a bigger fan at the time. I wasn't emotionally invested in the band until after he was gone. Like, if Nirvana had replaced Kurt.

But honestly, I saw them in 2008 and it was incredible. I actually really like FMF. But maybe they should have changed the name to something, like, I don't know, Unified Theory?

Yeah, I agree. They should not have just found someone who kind of sounds like Shannon Hoon. That not only highlights how inferior their singer is to Hoon, but also makes what they do now feel so unoriginal.
    I was a VERY big fan from the very beginning (I mourned and still mourn Shannon the way most people in those days mourned Kurt). So when I heard that they were resurrecting the band with a new singer I was annoyed. And when I heard them, I wrote them off, and literally forget that they exist unless someone brings it up. Yes, you read my mind: I imagine a lot of people would feel the way I do if suddenly Nirvana was a band again with some lead singer no one ever heard of. Feels a little sacrilegious as well as off-putting!

I totally agree that they should have just started a new band altogether with a different sound. They could have really been something new instead of just basically being what feels to me more like a Blind Melon tribute band.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Betterman, for example.

Yeah, I agree. They should not have just found someone who kind of sounds like Shannon Hoon. That not only highlights how inferior their singer is to Hoon, but also makes what they do now feel so unoriginal.
    I was a VERY big fan from the very beginning (I mourned and still mourn Shannon the way most people in those days mourned Kurt). So when I heard that they were resurrecting the band with a new singer I was annoyed. And when I heard them, I wrote them off, and literally forget that they exist unless someone brings it up. Yes, you read my mind: I imagine a lot of people would feel the way I do if suddenly Nirvana was a band again with some lead singer no one ever heard of. Feels a little sacrilegious as well as off-putting!

I totally agree that they should have just started a new band altogether with a different sound. They could have really been something new instead of just basically being what feels to me more like a Blind Melon tribute band.
    what I found funny (if not a little sad) is that even when they did Unified Theory, THAT singer ALSO sounded exactly like Shannon. they obviously know what they like in a singer!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Betterman, for example.

what I found funny (if not a little sad) is that even when they did Unified Theory, THAT singer ALSO sounded exactly like Shannon. they obviously know what they like in a singer!

Well, he didn't sound exactly like Shannon either - just a cheap imitation. ;) Yes, I think it's very sad that the band (minus a singer) decided to be so fucking unoriginal. They just resigned themselves to ride Shannon Hoon's coattails indefinitely instead of trying to spread their wings. Kind of pathetic, really.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2015
    Wow, I had no idea the singer was replaced and they are still around. I only listen to the original.
    After Shannon passed on, I continued to just listen to their music in memory of.

I actually am not even curious as to what the replacement singer sounds like.
    They should have re-named their band and people would have been none the wiser.

edit - It would be akin to replacing Jeff Martin and expecting the same sound.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Travis and the band sounded pretty great back in 08' when I saw them. Obviously not the same without Shannon. They need to get into the Capitol vaults and release some complete shows. Love the one they released awhile back but would love more. Rogers is a corporate lawyer now by the way. He was on TV the other day. I had to dig out some Tender Trio afterwards. Fucking amazing guitar player.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    Came across a 7" of "No Rain/Tones of Home" today. Gave it a spin and ah man, great stuff. Somehow I had missed the story of Shannon Hoon passing. I was bummed when I read that today. I'll definitely be checking out more of the original band's stuff. Really, really good.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    they are playing in calgary the same night of my cousin's wedding 30 km's away. saw them in 2008 at least.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

they are playing in calgary the same night of my cousin's wedding 30 km's away. saw them in 2008 at least.

Is the current day Blind Melon even worth seeing?
    I'm not sure I would want to see someone else singing Shannon's songs. New shit would be another story, but I think I would find seeing them play anything Hoon did depressing and it just wouldn't measure up (I know it sounds dumb... but i am still crushed about it).
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm not sure I would want to see someone else singing Shannon's songs. New shit would be another story, but I think I would find seeing them play anything Hoon did depressing and it just wouldn't measure up (I know it sounds dumb... but i am still crushed about it).
    I'm feel the same way.
    Especially since I have such a close connection to those songs.
    Like Cobain I remember exactly where I was when I heard the terrible news.
    The much music I and I was right after.

I still have a copy of that performance and its killer but you can tell hes fucked up.

Now I'm hoping the release Nico on vinyl.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I never saw them with Hoon, so I can't compare. I really enjoyed their new album with Warren. and it was a great show. But I understand the sentiment, as I wasn't a huge fan when Hoon was alive. So I don't have the same connection to it that others do.

if it had been vedder or cobain (being replaced) instead of hoon, I know I'd feel the same as you.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    they are fantastic with travis. seen both versions of the band.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    Yeah, I've heard the reformed band is very good but I just can't imagine they're the same. Probably a name change would be in order. Any time a lead singer with a distinct voice dies or leaves a band it's best to change the name. Can anyone think of another example like this where the lead singer moves on but the name stays? Off hand, I can't.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.