Options

Queen

eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
edited December 2005 in Other Music
no, not the Queen of England.. :rolleyes:
but Queen the band! you know, Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon.

I dunno if there already is a thred dedicated to this magnigficent, larger than life band but here's at least one.

so, do you like them?
what do you like about them?
what's your favourite song/album/whatever?
how do they make you feel? :D:D

discuss. :)
"Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Can't say I'm much of a fan personally.

They've done some good tunes but I think they suffer from the oft-seen British affliction of vaudeville-rock. Some may find that to be their charm of course. Muse are another example of this (although I love them).

I however, find it peculiar that there haven't been many rock bands from the UK that just straight ahead rock. Let me qualify: like The Stones, Led Zep or Oasis do (cue "how dare you put Oasis with those two legends" jibes...).

A lot of British rock bands seem to be more operatic in their rock stylings than the more down and dirty rock that American bands are more adept at producing.
    Decipher the illusion, know the facts but retain the magic.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    queen is one of the best rock and roll bands ever.
  • Options

They've done some good tunes but I think they suffer from the oft-seen British affliction of vaudeville-rock. Some may find that to be their charm of course. Muse are another example of this (although I love them).

I however, find it peculiar that there haven't been many rock bands from the UK that just straight ahead rock. Let me qualify: like The Stones, Led Zep or Oasis do (cue "how dare you put Oasis with those two legends" jibes...).

A lot of British rock bands seem to be more operatic in their rock stylings than the more down and dirty rock that American bands are more adept at producing.

I have nothing against the fact that you put Oasis with those other two. :)

hmm. maybe the rockers from UK are more civilized. :D
    but I know what you mean.. although the Sex Pistols sure made an exception. (though they we're more punk than just rock..)

national and cultural differences.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    queen is one of the best rock and roll bands ever.

nothing more to say! :D
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I watched Flash Gordan the other day and was reminded of the great soundtrack provided by Queen.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Prehaps the high point of Live Aid back in 1985.....they rocked the joint like there was no tomorrow. Simply a great rock band........
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    i LOVE queen!!!
    i actually just bought tickets to see them in march with paul rodgers....i know i know a far stretch from freddie but really what can ya do ...im pretty excited about it anyways cause they do some bad company songs too ....

p.s
    to anyone who LOVES queen ....theres this tribute band that just finished a world tour ( its a kinda magic)
    they were absolutly amazing they are supposed to be touring again in 06 if you get a chance to see them go go go ....i went last min with my roomate and it was one of the most fun concerts ever they really do sound almoast identical to queen and deffinatly look the part too.
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options
    i LOVE queen!!!
    i actually just bought tickets to see them in march with paul rodgers....i know i know a far stretch from freddie but really what can ya do ...im pretty excited about it anyways cause they do some bad company songs too ....

p.s
    to anyone who LOVES queen ....theres this tribute band that just finished a world tour ( its a kinda magic)
    they were absolutly amazing they are supposed to be touring again in 06 if you get a chance to see them go go go ....i went last min with my roomate and it was one of the most fun concerts ever they really do sound almoast identical to queen and deffinatly look the part too.

I'm having my doubts about them going on without Freddie..
    just doesn't seem like the real deal to me. which of course it isn't but somehow..
    Freddie's just really hard to replace. :(

btw. anyone know what happened to the Queen musical (or what was it..) that was talked about some while ago..
  • Options
    eMMI wrote:
    I'm having my doubts about them going on without Freddie..
    just doesn't seem like the real deal to me. which of course it isn't but somehow..
    Freddie's just really hard to replace. :(

btw. anyone know what happened to the Queen musical (or what was it..) that was talked about some while ago..

thats the thing about this show paul rodgers isnt trying to be freddie i , hes going with his own style ...nothing could ever compare to freddie ...and this show will by no means be like a real queen show but it will be great for me anyways cause i love both queen and bad company i only wish i had gotten a chance to see freddie in concert i think that would be the most amazing show ever

oh and sorry i dont know anything about this musical thing
  • Options
    thats the thing about this show paul rodgers isnt trying to be freddie i , hes going with his own style ...nothing could ever compare to freddie ...and this show will by no means be like a real queen show but it will be great for me anyways cause i love both queen and bad company i only wish i had gotten a chance to see freddie in concert i think that would be the most amazing show ever

oh and sorry i dont know anything about this musical thing

I understand that. and I'm happy for you, sounds like it's gonna be fun! :)

that's ok.
  • Options
    by the way emmi
    nice job starting this thread queen needs to see some love around here lol
  • Options
    by the way emmi
    nice job starting this thread queen needs to see some love around here lol

no problemo. :D

the idea came to me this morning just a few minutes after I'd woke up. :p
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    News of the World was the 2nd cassette I ever purchased. When Spread Your Wings comes on to this day, I sing it at the top of my lungs.
  • Options
    Brian May is amazing!!!

Check out his solo performance of Hammer To Fall
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Queen was one of the first rock bands I heard so they will always be special to me. Truly one of the greats.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    Queen is amazing, Brian May rocks! I want it all, and i want it now!!!
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    eMMI wrote:

When my parents were in Vegas last spring, they saw some kind of Queen musical. I don't know if it was official or not, but they said it was pretty good.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028

let me be the first to to question how you lumped in crappy, bland oasis with two legendary rock bands. why not include black sabbath in their instead?
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    GalianaGaliana Posts: 554
    When my parents were in Vegas last spring, they saw some kind of Queen musical. I don't know if it was official or not, but they said it was pretty good.

PBM

That might have been We Will Rock You. It was playing at the Paris hotel when I was there this past summer. I didn't see it though.

Queen was the first concert I ever attended. It was at the Lakeland Civic Center in November 1978. I won the tickets in a radio station contest.

I saw that Brian May got some kind of medal from the real Queen last week. He is one of only two guitarists that have really impressed me with their concert performances. (Mike McCready is the other. :))
    Don't threaten me with a good time.
  • Options
    Galiana wrote:
    That might have been We Will Rock You. It was playing at the Paris hotel when I was there this past summer. I didn't see it though.

Queen was the first concert I ever attended. It was at the Lakeland Civic Center in November 1978. I won the tickets in a radio station contest.

I saw that Brian May got some kind of medal from the real Queen last week. He is one of only two guitarists that have really impressed me with their concert performances. (Mike McCready is the other. :))

You got to see Queen, sooooooooooooo lucky!!!!!
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    I wish I could have seen Queen back in the day. I love watching videos of them. They're an amazing talent I think. On the Paul Rodgers + Queen note, I'd be interested in seeing that show because I'd like to hear the music by the original musicians, but I'm not about to spend $200 to see another guy sing for them. I don't like the whole replacing your frontman thing. At least they didn't commercialize the hell out of it like the INXS thing. But I'm going on a tangent there, I'd just rather see creative minds come up with new things if you're getting a new frontman.
  • Options
    69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    As the self-proclaimed "Biggest Queen Fan" in the Pit, I have to say...

Queen was the best band ever.
    Freddie Mercury was the greatest frontman ever.
    John Deacon is the most underrated bassist of all time.

I never get tired of thier music.

:)
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    As the self-proclaimed "Biggest Queen Fan" in the Pit, I have to say...

Queen was the best band ever.
    Freddie Mercury was the greatest frontman ever.
    John Deacon is the most underrated bassist of all time.

I never get tired of thier music.

:)

Freddie's voice is unbeatable!!
    and I agree with you on that John Deacon comment. :( he is and that's sad.
    he wrote some fine tunes back in the day. :)
  • Options
    Brian May is amazing!!!

Check out his solo performance of Hammer To Fall

he is.
    I don't understand anything about guitars and all the technical stuff in music but I do recognise a good riff when I hear one! :)
    I also like Innuendo very much, if I could play the guitar, that'd be one of the first songs I'd wanna learn! :)
  • Options
    Under pressure with david bowie is one of my all time favourite songs!
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
  • Options
    Under pressure with david bowie is one of my all time favourite songs!

oh, that is a good one! :D
  • Options
    eMMI wrote:
    oh, that is a good one! :D

that and i think its called "who wants to live forever" ? love that song too!
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
  • Options
    that and i think its called "who wants to live forever" ? love that song too!

Who Wants to Live Forever. oh, it makes me all moody everytime I hear it. :o
    such a great song with amazing lyrics.
  • Options
    eMMI wrote:
    Who Wants to Live Forever. oh, it makes me all moody everytime I hear it. :o
    such a great song with amazing lyrics.

i remember when freddie died,i was quite sad even though i was never really that into queen. he was the greatest frontman ever.
  • Options
    i remember when freddie died,i was quite sad even though i was never really that into queen. he was the greatest frontman ever.

I was so young when he died that I don't exactly remember anything about it. but I read some book about him and that made me really sad. :(
    he was so awesome!