Options

Rap stars flaunt $$, rock stars don't

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited November 2005 in Other Music
so i was watching a show on 50 cent and he was saying "i'll stick around as long as they'll pay to see me"............and i thought about eddie vedder, a bit of a difference in opinion...........rap stars cover themselves in jewelry, have their own power drink, have their own video game, MAKE VIDEOS FOR MTV, flaunt their houses and cars, etc etc etc......and it adds to their credibility............yet rock stars (aside from 80's cheese metal) go to great lengths to hide it, they are almost ashamed by success, and avoid overexposure

is it a white/black thing?

white liberal guilt?

people from the ghetto who get rich want the world to know about it?

middle class whites who get rich miss.....,uh, middle class stuff?
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Rock & Roll takes talent (real rock & roll)

These rapper's are not talented!!! i don't understand how people can't see this.

Every fuckin song is about the same thing, and it is all shit!!!!!!!!There is probably 3, maybe 4 different categories a rapper can sing a song about:

Having Sex.....good one...does there have to be a "club" mentioned in every song???

Drugs
    Their cars, money and houses (jewelry too...can't forget that)
    Or maybe i dunno trying to act tough in their lyrics while they're sitting up in their huge house and shit...

I'm sorry but i think that rap is the absolute lowest form of music, and that these mindless, untalented (artists??...ya right) people flaunt that because they have no real perception on what music is all about. They do it for the fame and money and crap, and i mean sure if that comes along with it, and an honest rock band can make a living than great. But to get into it for that reason is wrong.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    I dont think it has anything to do with race. I think music reflects peoples personalities. Its not as if eddie sings about bitches and hoes ect. Most rappers are idiots who should be strangled with their bling.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

These rapper's are not talented!!! i don't understand how people can't see this.

Every fuckin song is about the same thing, and it is all shit!!!!!!!!There is probably 3, maybe 4 different categories a rapper can sing a song about:

Having Sex.....good one...does there have to be a "club" mentioned in every song???

Drugs
    Or maybe i dunno trying to act tough in their lyrics while they're sitting up in their huge house and shit...

I'm sorry but i think that rap is the absolute lowest form of music, and that these mindless, untalented (artists??...ya right) people flaunt that because they have no real perception on what music is all about. They do it for the fame and money and crap, and i mean sure if that comes along with it, and an honest rock band can make a living than great. But to get into it for that reason is wrong.
    Some rape is good. But its VERY rare.. mainstream rape (most of it) is just as bad as mainstream rock these days.
  • Options
    Some rape is good. But its VERY rare.. mainstream rape (most of it) is just as bad as mainstream rock these days.

wait a minute, i thought rape was bad??
  • Options
    wait a minute, i thought rape was bad??

Hahahaha!!! That's what i was thinkin' when i read it !!! ;)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options

Drugs

Rap wasn't always like this. When the rap/hip-hop culture was in it's earlier stages, 80's through early 90's, there was real talent and a poetic flow in their writings, an intense passion. Then, they were a part of the political awareness that needed to get out to others. While today, the acts that are blinded by fame and fortune and are straying so far from their roots are giving it a bad name. Always remember, whichever genre it is, and no matter how much you may despise it, somewhere in the veins of it, there once was or still is a flowing passion for the music being created. Also on the fact of saying that Rappers are not talented. They may be subpar to what they once were, however, to be able to keep a rhythm at such a pace as they do, and to have lyrics more poetic(more so earlier stages of the genre) it is quite a feat. Everyone who is in that business works incredibly hard and overcome many obstacles to get to where they are. Some prove however, to flaunt their success in different ways and in some ways not at all. There needs to be respect for everything or where it came from.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Options
    Rap wasn't always like this. When the rap/hip-hop culture was in it's earlier stages, 80's through early 90's, there was real talent and a poetic flow in their writings, an intense passion. Then, they were a part of the political awareness that needed to get out to others. While today, the acts that are blinded by fame and fortune and are straying so far from their roots are giving it a bad name. Always remember, whichever genre it is, and no matter how much you may despise it, somewhere in the veins of it, there once was or still is a flowing passion for the music being created. Also on the fact of saying that Rappers are not talented. They may be subpar to what they once were, however, to be able to keep a rhythm at such a pace as they do, and to have lyrics more poetic(more so earlier stages of the genre) it is quite a feat. Everyone who is in that business works incredibly hard and overcome many obstacles to get to where they are. Some prove however, to flaunt their success in different ways and in some ways not at all. There needs to be respect for everything or where it came from.

You make a very good point :)

I agree that ONCE it was a talented form of music, but i was just speaking on how i feel about it today.

I do know what your sayin' though ;)

.NJD.
  • Options

Haha, that one had me going for awhile. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or just mispelling it. Either way that was hilarious.

As for rap, my saying has always been you can't spell crap without 'rap'. I though of that long before I've seen other people use it online too so I take full credit for it.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Some rock stars act stupid too though.

That bastard Bono from U2 "oh we should all save the poor of the world, now excuse me while I get into my private jet and fly back to my estate in Europe, which has a higher networth than a whole African country!!!!!"
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    so i was watching a show on 50 cent and he was saying "i'll stick around as long as they'll pay to see me"............and i thought about eddie vedder, a bit of a difference in opinion...........rap stars cover themselves in jewelry, have their own power drink, have their own video game, MAKE VIDEOS FOR MTV, flaunt their houses and cars, etc etc etc......and it adds to their credibility............yet rock stars (aside from 80's cheese metal) go to great lengths to hide it, they are almost ashamed by success, and avoid overexposure

is it a white/black thing?

white liberal guilt?

people from the ghetto who get rich want the world to know about it?

middle class whites who get rich miss.....,uh, middle class stuff?

I disagree. Rock/Rap stars/celebrities flaunt things...artists dont..
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    I disagree. Rock/Rap stars/celebrities flaunt things...artists dont..

well put, there are plenty of so called rock stars who flaunt it.
  • Options
    First off, I am no great fan of rap.

However, I was saying to a friend of mine recently that rap is in dire need of an overhaul.

Rap stars' current choice of lyrical "inspiration" is nothing short of the vacuous and fatuous. In fact, I find it most distasteful and illustrative of a complete lack of class to constantly flaunt one's wealth and material goods.

Don't they realise that such things don't have the true importance they attach to them?

I liken the current state of rap to the pre-Cobain hair metal scene of the late eighties. All those god-awful bands had nothing to say of any worth and were only chasing the dollars while discarding all integrity with reckless abandon. It took someone like Cobain (and a few notable others) who had something real and passionate to say to expose this scene for the substance-devoid sham that it was and rap is waiting for such an icon to do likewise.

The sooner the better.

Personally, I cannot wait for the bling bling to have finally blung...
    Decipher the illusion, know the facts but retain the magic.
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    i have only heard a few of his songs but kanye west seems pretty good and not the ordinary "guns, bitches and drugs" sorta rapper.
    my friend played me some blackaliciouse who were really good.
    there is a canadaian rapper called Kaos i think, i liked him when i was in toronto.
    there is good rap out there just thtat tehy are not really in the mainstream.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    VON wrote:
    I dont think it has anything to do with race. I think music reflects peoples personalities. Its not as if eddie sings about bitches and hoes ect. Most rappers are idiots who should be strangled with their bling.

Have'nt you heard Even Hoe? or what about Deep?:D
    but seriously there used to be a lot of good rap, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill basiclly the rappers who grew up in the ghettos and lived the live that they sang about, i.e issues that needed singing about.
    50 cent and and his fuck buddies well what have they got to sing about how much money they have got, how much bling they have got.
    they are just icons and part of the current flaunt what you got, media loving celebritys, its all about me baby, and if it aint then i dont wanna know attitude.
    I try to avoid all rap music these days, videos just get turned over and such, i still listen to Cypress Hill and Public Enemy.

As a rap legend once said "i did it all for the nookie, the nookie, so you can have my cookie and stic it up your ass, stick it up your ass":D:D:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options

Drugs

Not all rap is about the same thing... People just choose to go that way, it's safe, the people love it.

Listen to my stuff:

http://www.alphamalegorillas.com/media/music/songs/Bleed_Marinara_radio_edit.mp3

Slightly different from the norm: ; )
  • Options
    to be fair, there's a good amount of rock songs about money, fame and groupies... sex, drugs, rock'n'roll - remember?

the poster who said there's a distinction between artists and mere performers is right, the boundaries are not so clear though...

i don't think race is an issue here at all... can you blame four british working class kids for living the high life after they earned lots of money with their band led zeppelin? i don't think so... the problems arise when it gets out of hand and takes away from the music, see 80s hair metal...
    can you blame a black ghetto kid for showing off some bling?
    i think rappers are the rock stars of today... for better or worse... actually, for worse...
    but it doesn't matter what genre of music we're talking about... the moment image, money and fame are more important than the music it's over...

here's a rap lyric by saul williams addressing this issue:

Saul Williams - Telegram

I'm falling up flights of stairs,
    scraping myself from the sidewalk,
    jumping from rivers to bridges,
    drowning in pure air.
    Hip hop is lying on the side of the road,
    half dead to itself.
    Blood scrawled over its mangled flesh, like jazz,
    stuffed into an oversized record bag.
    Tuba lips swollen beyond recognition.
    Diamond-studded teeth strewn like rice at Karma's wedding.
    The ring bearer bore bad news.
    Minister of information wrote the wrong proclamation.
    And now everyone's singing the wrong song.
    Dissonant chords find necks like nooses.
    That nigga kicked the chair from under my feet.
    Harlem shakin from a rope, but still on beat.
    "Damn, that loop is tight."
    That nigga, found a way to sample the way the truth the light.
    Can't wait to play myself at the party tonight.
    Niggas are gonna die.
    Cop car swerves to the side of the road.
    Hip hop takes its last breath.
    The cop scrawls vernacular manslaughter on a yellow
    pad, then balls the paper into his hand,
    deciding he'd rather free-style.
    "You have the right to remain silent."
    "You have the right to remain silent."
    And maybe you should have
    maybe you should have
    before your bullshit manifested.

These thugs can't fuck with me,
    they're too thugged out.
    Niggas think I'm bugged out, 'cause I ain't Sean John or Lugged out.
    This ain't hip hop no more, son, it's bigger than that.
    This ain't ghetto no more, black, it's bigger than black.
    So where my aliens at?
    Girl, we all illegal.
    This system ain't for us.
    It's for rich people.
    And you ain't rich, dawg, you just got money.
    But you can't buy shit to not get hungry.

Telegram to Hip Hop:
    Dear Hip Hop. (stop)
    This shit has gone too far. (stop)
    Please see that turntables and mixer are returned to Kool Herc. (stop)
    The ghettos are dancing off beat. (stop)
    The master of ceremonies have forgotten
    that they were once slaves and have neglected
    the occasion of this ceremony. (stop)
    Perhaps we should not have encouraged them
    to use cordless microphones, for they have
    walked too far from the source and
    are emitting a lesser frequency. (stop)
    Please inform all interested parties that
    cash nor murder have been included to list of elements. (stop)
    We are discontinuing our current line
    of braggadocio, in light of the current trend in "realness". (stop)
    As an alternative, we will be
    confiscating weed supplies and
    replacing them with magic mushrooms, in hopes
    of helping niggas see beyond their reality. (stop)
    Give my regards to Brooklyn.

These thugs can't fuck with me, they're too thugged out.
    Niggas think I'm bugged out, 'cause I ain't Sean John or Lugged out.
    This ain't hip hop no more, son, it's bigger than that.
    This ain't ghetto no more, black, it's bigger than black.
    So where my aliens at?
    Girl, we all illegal.
    This system ain't for us.
    It's for rich people.
    And you ain't rich, dawg, you just got money.
    But you can't buy shit to not get hungry.

These cats can't fuck with me, I purr purple
    Sold, increased, toe shell like a turtle
    I walk the streets like the lie that I'm telling
    One listener grips me and starts yellin
    I see through speakers, I speak what's seen
    I eat and shed, I sleep and dream
    I walk the streets of London like "know what I mean?"
    And chillin rack a momma
    eatin crib soy beans

It's like that.
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    TimberTimber Posts: 38
    Hahaha. My God, quote of the year.

A lot of rap is good, actually. And yeah, Saul Williams is awesome.
    i am disco
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    does there have to be a "club" mentioned in every song???
    YES, YES THERE DOES!!!!!
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Funny I don't see any R&R stars or Rap stars living in my neighbourhood. And the last I checked they still have their pictures taken for magazines to pimp their products. So how is R&R not the same as Rap?

Don't confuse the powers that be selling to the kids to what you are seeing.

One could argue that with all the money that Eddie has, he sure dresses like a bum.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    pj_zombie wrote:
    As for rap, my saying has always been you can't spell crap without 'rap'. I though of that long before I've seen other people use it online too so I take full credit for it.

nice! consider it done.
    I'll scream my lungs out...'til I fill this thread!
  • Options
    Rap stars flaunt their bling...and rockstars just sell the rights to their songs to commercials....you just don't see them signing the contracts..
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Hahah I love watching people who know dick all about rap talk shit about it.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Hahah I love watching people who kniow dick all about rap talk shit about it.

*clears throat* A-Men.
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • Options

but they're not the only ones that do that...it's just they have that attitude and demeanor that threatens you. mariah carey, brittney spears, jessica simpson, the "punk" bands i see on mtv...they all do it for the same things you mention: money, fame. it's a popularity contest based around $. don't hate rappers for that stuff, they just flaunt it a littel more...but all the no talent crap you hear on FM radio and MTV functions on the same premise.

and not all rap is crap. there are real musicians out there that do care about the music and care about WHO listens to their music (the roots, jurassic 5, de la soul, a tribe called quest...to name a few).
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options

Drugs

you're pretty much off base with every single thing you say here.
  • Options
    I agree that most artists today can't rap as well as the older ones, but to call them talentless is ignorant.
  • Options

Drugs

Based off of this post I gather you are only a casual observer of rap. I gather this because you seem to address only mainstream rap. There is plenty of rap out there that is not on MTV or BET and is actually highly educated and articulate. You saying these things is like someone taking a look at mainstream rock (nickleback etc etc) and saying it sucks.
  • Options
    D Lo Brown wrote:
    you're pretty much off base with every single thing you say here.

Off base??

Ok. well thanks for your two cents...seeing as you explained your post so well....

.NJD.
  • Options
    Based off of this post I gather you are only a casual observer of rap. I gather this because you seem to address only mainstream rap. There is plenty of rap out there that is not on MTV or BET and is actually highly educated and articulate. You saying these things is like someone taking a look at mainstream rock (nickleback etc etc) and saying it sucks.

O.K. pieceofdust that's fair enough :)

Tell me some of the stuff your talking about then, rappers that aren't mainstream:

I like ATribe Called Quest???

.NJD.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    The ignorance in your post speaks for itself, TMY. Refuting blanket generalizations about a genre the poster clearly knows nothing about is not a hard thing to do (Apologies on the grammar), so hard in fact, that it isn't necessary to point out the fallacies in your argument, and the grotesque lack of perpective in your opinion.

There are many things wrong with it, and most of them start with your use of the universal quantifier.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");