Options

seeing bon jovi last night made me appreciate pearl jam so much more...

thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
edited December 2005 in Other Music
First of all I want to say THANKS to vedderwood for the Bon Jovi tickets!!! despite what I am about to say it was a lot of fun!!! :)

Ok, so I went to the Bon Jovi concert last night in Philly, and seeing that show made me appreciate Pearl Jam a zillion times more than I already do!!!
I'm not a huge Jovi fan, so most of my time was spent observing the band, and other people....

Soooo I noticed that, other than been cheesy, they are simply PERFORMERS.

Ed, Mike, Jeff, Stone, and Matt are MUSICIANS...

It seemed like half of the shit was rehearshed, down to the dance moves, hand gestures, you name it! and that nothing really came from their heart, all just mindless lyrics, mindless songs, same setlists...etc etc.....they were just there to make money (95 bucks for floor seats that didnt even sell out!!) and put on a show for the ladies (i.e. the tight black jeans, leather, exposed chests, shaking butts on stage, and i must say i dont know what heather locklears sees in richie sambora...he was barefoot on stage for christs sake!).

I appreciate how PJ changes up their setlist, for the most part, every night. How we always wonder what will they add and what will they do different. How Ed really gets into the show and what hes singing. How all of the guys have their own time to shine. Bottom line, for the sake of rambling on and on, I hope Pearl Jam never becomes what I saw last night.

But here were some highlights of the night...
1. The one guy in the band, (stands on "stones side")...looked just like stone!! at least from where i was sitting, so that was kinda cool...
2. On the big screen behind the stage, during one song, the footage they had up looked like the picture on YIELD...
3. Bon Jovi covering Pearl Jam's (Gorge) cover of Tom Petty's "I wont back down" ;)
4. Solat13 obnoxiously yelling "PLAY LEASH YOU PUSSIES"
5. Some dude with a Styx shirt sitting behind us.
6. Everyone wearing "mom jeans"
7. The 'older' group of women playing air guitar in the parking lot
8. Livin on a prayer, bad medicine, dead or alive
9. The "white women" fight that almost occured next to us (fanch would have liked that)

and finally....
10. Remembering how awesome it was to be at the wachovia center just a couple months beforehand seeing Pearl Jam!!!!!!!!!

thats all for now :)
"I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    To be fair you cannot possibly compare the two bands, they are so totally different. However I can see your point. They do rehearse things right down to the last detail.
    However can't compare them as I've only seem Bon Jovi live.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    To be fair you cannot possibly compare the two bands, they are so totally different. However I can see your point. They do rehearse things right down to the last detail.
    i wasnt necessarily comparing, i was simply stating why i appreciate pearl jam based on what i saw last night
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288

yes u can compare. because theyre different.

u cannot seriously think bon jovi is anything more than the backstreet boys of the 80s. except they play solos for the sake of it and the make it a point to have BIG choruses everytime and they smile a lot more than BSB. that last point there says a lot.
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    shahril wrote:

u cannot seriously think bon jovi is anything more than the backstreet boys of the 80s. except they play solos for the sake of it and the make it a point to have BIG choruses everytime and they smile a lot more than BSB. that last point there says a lot.
    i will admit i have seen bsb and they put on a show just like bon jovi! just minus all the women over 35!!!

pj rocks! ;)
  • Options
    i went to a bon jovi concert. it was so freaking awsome. cinderella opened up for them. oh btw it was 1986. i was 10....
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    thatgirl wrote:
    i will admit i have seen bsb and they put on a show just like bon jovi! just minus all the women over 35!!!

pj rocks! ;)

i think there should be a thread on what u just admitted to have done
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    Bon Jovi put on a good show when I saw them a few years back.. but I agree with everything you said. Everything is so rehearsed... it didn't seem natural. I also remember hearing on the radio what they do with their fanclub tix... rows 2-10 only, and the people had to wait on line overnight outside the venue to get them. They were on the radio talking about how good the fanclub was, and I just laughed at them as I was on my way to my next PJ show.
  • Options
    I AM CRAVING SEEING BON JOVI LIVE!!! I have never seen them, and am anxiously waiting, hoping, that they will visit Australia next year!!! True, they are very different to Pearl Jam, but they're just completely different bands so you would expect that. As an avid Bon Jovi fan I may seem biased, but I do believe that they, Jon Bon Jovi in particular, have talent. He has written many catchy tunes and can obviously sing very well. That aside, I can see why a Pearl Jam show, well their audience is in a lot more suspense, not knowing what tunes are to be played next. But as I said, they are highly uncomparable - Bon Jovi are known for their presentation and over-the-top costumes and shows - they evolved during the Glamrock/Hairmetal days, while Pearl Jam are a polar opposite - appearing through the 'grunge' ages - not seeming to care so much how they appear to the eye (although Eddie is good to look at....)

Sorry for my rambling, but I had to say something. They are likely to be my 2 favourite bands ever - and I know they are totally different!! Thank-you for your review of the show it was good fun reading what you said - now I'll just have to hope they come to Aus! I've heard their show is overly expensive and Australia doesn't really want them or something.....I don't really get that, but whatever. :D
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    thatgirl wrote:
    4. Solat13 obnoxiously yelling "PLAY LEASH YOU PUSSIES"

that's awesome
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    thatgirl wrote:
    richie sambora...he was barefoot on stage for christs sake!).

I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU DONT SEE.....A BAREFOOT ROCKSTAR IS FREAKIN HOTT!!!! :D

BUT SERIOUSLY? I TOTALLY AGREE. I GO TO ALOT OF SHOWS AND I GOTTA TELL YA, THERES JUST SOMETHING ABOUT PEARL JAM SHOWS. THEY ARE MY MEASURING STICK FOR EVERY OTHER BAND I SEE LIVE. I CANT HELP IT. I WAS AT THE AUDIOSLAVE SHOW IN LONG BEACH LAST WEEK AND THE OVERALL 'EXXXPERIENCE' SUCKED. THE GUYS THEMSELVES ARE GOOD BUT I THINK ITS THE FANS THAT KILL IT. THERE ARE A FEW JERKS THAT ARE PJ FANS BUT WAY MORE COOL PEOPLE AND EVERYONE SEEMS TO LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER. I GOT MORE LOVE WHEN I WAS AT THE CHRISTINA AGUILERA SHOW THAN I DID AT AUDIOSLAVE!!! :eek: AND NOT ONLY THAT, BUT ITS TRUE, IT SEEMS THAT *MOST* BANDS "REHEARSE" THEIR EVERY MOVE. ITS NOT COOL. PEARL JAM HANDS DOWN IS THE GREATEST LIVE BAND EVER!!! :D
    P.S~IM STILL GONNA SEE BON JOVI IN A FEW MONTHS!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Ok, there is no point whatsoever in comparing the two. As been said, the bands are completely different, you know what you're getting when you go to a Bon Jovi show, just as you do a PJ one. Yelling "Play Leash you Pussies" was not funny, but childish. YOU people went to the show, I'm sure you wouldn't find it funny if someone went to a PJ show & ripped on the band & the fans constantly. If you don't like it, it's quite simple...stay home.

That said, Jon can shake his ass in his tight leather pants at me any time. ;)
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    Ok, there is no point whatsoever in comparing the two. As been said, the bands are completely different, you know what you're getting when you go to a Bon Jovi show, just as you do a PJ one. Yelling "Play Leash you Pussies" was not funny, but childish. YOU people went to the show, I'm sure you wouldn't find it funny if someone went to a PJ show & ripped on the band & the fans constantly. If you don't like it, it's quite simple...stay home.

That said, Jon can shake his ass in his tight leather pants at me any time. ;)
    first of all, no one yelled leash, it was a joke, so have a sense of humor...
    secondly, i had no idea what the show would be like as i had never seen them before AND the tickets were free, it was something to do on a friday night, and if YOU read my inital post you would have seen that i had said i had a good time
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    thatgirl wrote:
    5. Some dude with a Styx shirt sitting behind us.
    6. Everyone wearing "mom jeans"

Jesus, that is funny. My girlfriend tells her mom she's not allowed to wear "Mom jeans" for the principle of it.

Yesterday in the car she told me she can see me being 70 and sitting around in an old PJ shirt.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    lukin14 wrote:
    Jesus, that is funny. My girlfriend tells her mom she's not allowed to wear "Mom jeans" for the principle of it.

Yesterday in the car she told me she can see me being 70 and sitting around in an old PJ shirt.
    ya my mom isnt either, i make sure she looks nice before she goes out
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    of course they were wearing mom jeans. do you really think that women who are in their upper thirties and are moms, can fit into some low rise jeans? i have to not eat for 4 days to fit into the jeans from old navy that i wore to see gavin rossdale.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    iluvcats wrote:
    of course they were wearing mom jeans. do you really think that women who are in their upper thirties and are moms, can fit into some low rise jeans? i have to not eat for 4 days to fit into the jeans from old navy that i wore to see gavin rossdale.
    i might not eat fast food for a week if i got to see him <3
  • Options
    thatgirl wrote:
    i might not eat fast food for a week if i got to see him <3

did you say leather pants? look what treat Cree Nations found for me one day recently! he thinks the material may be leather (doesn't matter to me, the rest of the pic looks so good)
    http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/9/4/3/0/7070349.jpg
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    vedderwoodvedderwood Posts: 2,029
    Hahahahaha...this is all too funny (and you're so welcome for the tickets thatgirl)!!!

I went to the Bon Jovi concert in Philly last night and I agree with everything that thatgirl is saying! I had a really fun time because they sang a lot of their hits, I was with a friend who is a die-hard Bon Jovi fan and well, I had quite a few beers :D!!! But as thatgirl said, this concert (and any concert actually) just reminds me/us of how awesome Pearl Jam is and how spoiled we are as a fanbase to get so much out of this band! Their huge catalog of songs, their always-changing surprising setlists, their indepth lyrics and the emotions its gives all of us are just priceless (and personally I think Eddie is hot and would do anything for the man)! This does not mean that Bon Jovi is a horrible band or or their songs suck because as thatgirl said, she wasn't necessarily comparing the two...she was just saying that by seeing Bon Jovi it made her appreciate PJ much more than she already does and I totally agree with her!

Again, the show was a lot of fun..I've seen Bon Jovi a few times now and they are very entertaining! They have sex appeal and they use it (nothing wrong with that)! Their moves and gestures do see premeditated, but hey, that's part of their act! I do enjoy these kinds of bands from time to time, but I just really, really can't wait until PJ comes back again!!!! They are by far the best and in my opinion, there is just nothing like them out there!!!!

Oh and thatgirl...it's a shame you weren't at the show last night...you saw Jon in tight black jeans, but he wore gold, sparkly pants last night! ;)
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
    PA 10/27, 10/28, 10/30 & 10/31/09
  • Options
    i went to see some war movie when we were in vacation in florida a few yrs ago (just b/c bon jovi was in it.)
    U571?
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    vedderwood wrote:

Oh and thatgirl...it's a shame you weren't at the show last night...you saw Jon in tight black jeans, but he wore gold, sparkly pants last night! ;)

haha thats tooo funny!!!
    i guess regina must think eds outfits are boring compared to that!!!!!

im sure well see scott weiland in tight pants as well!! :D

did they do the fade out on the big screen at the end of songs when they had his hand in the air???
  • Options
    thatgirl wrote:
    haha thats tooo funny!!!
    i guess regina must think eds outfits are boring compared to that!!!!!

im sure well see scott weiland in tight pants as well!! :D

did they do the fade out on the big screen at the end of songs when they had his hand in the air???

hahaha, yeah Regina liked the way Jon looked! She says that she thinks Eddie is cute, but I don't believe her..I think she's just saying it to be nice..hahaha!

No doubt Scott will be in tight pants!!!! I'm sure it will be paired with a fitted open jacked and a feather boa!!!!

Hell yeah....they sure did do the fade out!!!! Not only did they do it when his hand was in the air, but there were a few times he ended with a standing pose and a seductive look on his face...then it would fade to black! He also asked some girl in the audience if they could fool around and not tell his wife or her husband!!!! He also put on a quite a hat show...he put on a police hat and a marine hat!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
  • Options
    scottie w's pants were skin tight when i saw them at merriweather in may.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Thanks again VW for the tix.

I had a lot of fun and drank a few beers on Friday night. And like thatgirl said, she was only joking when she said that I screamed, "Play Leash You Pussies." Why would anyone do that at a non PJ show so to whoever it was earlier who was making fun of that comment, it was just a joke.

That said, I had fun but did something that I've never done at any concert - I sat the entire time. I was into the show, but it was great sitting down because I hurt my knee over Thanksgiving playing football. We had seats in the front row of the 2nd level so I got to sit down and just enjoy the show.

It was a lot of fun crowd watching and watching all the fans on the floor and in the bottom bowl clapping in rhythm made me think that it must be pretty cool being not a super PJ fan and sitting in the upper levels watching all the PJ fans go nuts during Alive, GTF, etc.

I'm also glad I got to hear all their hits and got a chance to sing along very loudly to Wanted Dead or Alive. ;)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    vedderwood wrote:

i'm so jealous you have no idea....
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • Options
    vedderwood wrote:

Hell yeah....they sure did do the fade out!!!! Not only did they do it when his hand was in the air, but there were a few times he ended with a standing pose and a seductive look on his face...then it would fade to black! He also asked some girl in the audience if they could fool around and not tell his wife or her husband!!!! He also put on a quite a hat show...he put on a police hat and a marine hat!

the fade outs were hilarious!!!!!!!!...we didnt have any hats, in fact i think only a few wardrobe changes, but did he also sing from different parts of the crowd? he was in the back of the floor to start and then towards the end of the show he was side stage in the crowd...i think he sang bed of roses over there...oh and i forgot richie broke his guitar during one of his solos...but i forget which song!!!! :D
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    thatgirl wrote:
    the fade outs were hilarious!!!!!!!!...we didnt have any hats, in fact i think only a few wardrobe changes, but did he also sing from different parts of the crowd? he was in the back of the floor to start and then towards the end of the show he was side stage in the crowd...i think he sang bed of roses over there...oh and i forgot richie broke his guitar during one of his solos...but i forget which song!!!! :D

It was during Wanted Dead or Alive silly!!! ;)

Or as Jon said, "One of Rock and Roll's alltime most famous solos!!!"
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    thatgirl wrote:

Oh man, we didn't get any wardrobe changes...just the changing of the hats! And yes, he did pop all over the place on different stages....I think he sang "Always" and some other one on the side stage!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I saw Bon Jovi a few years ago and was right next to the stage. Not a big fan, but I was invited by a friend and the ticket was free, so what the hell. I enjoyed the show.

I'm sorry thatgirl, but Richie Sambora is HOT.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    shahril wrote:

Beyond the fact that Bon Jovi writes their songs, sings (not lip-synchs) them live, plays their instruments, and have considerable career-longevity - you are absolutely right, Bon Jovi & Backstreet Boys are exactly the same.

:D

Oh, and Richie Sambora is fantastic guitar player. Listen to his solo in Wanted Dead or Alive and tell me there's no soul in that. Plus, he gets to do that hot white chick that used to be on Melrose Place.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Beyond the fact that Bon Jovi writes their songs, sings (not lip-synchs) them live, plays their instruments, and have considerable career-longevity - you are absolutely right, Bon Jovi & Backstreet Boys are exactly the same.

:D

Oh, and Richie Sambora is fantastic guitar player. Listen to his solo in Wanted Dead or Alive and tell me there's no soul in that. Plus, he gets to do that hot white chick that used to be on Melrose Place.
    there wasnt much soul in it when they played it since he broke his guitar during the middle of it!