Options

please help a soundgarden ignoramus

jeff's_the_manjeff's_the_man Posts: 660
edited December 2005 in Other Music
i recently bought soundgarden A-sides, after listening to chris cornell and matt cameron on TOTD, and it is some of the most amazing stuff ive ever heard!! over the last 4 months ive almost worn it out!!

now comes the stage where i want to buy one of their studio cd's. Which cd should i buy first???

some of my favourite songs would have to be;
jesus christ pose (matt is a god!)
outshined
rusty cage
burden in my hand
blow up the outside world
ty cobb
bleed together

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    from that list of songs u like...i say you should pick up Badmotorfinger or Down on the Upside
    i personally prefer Superunknown
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    get the triple strike of badmotorfinger, superunknown and down on the upside. then work backwards towards ultramega OK and louder than love, thats my advice
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    from your songs alone, Down on the Upside or Badmotorfinger would be the logical choice. However, you could complete the Soundgarden Holy Trinity and pick up Superunkown as well.

Oh and Bleed Together isnt on an album, it was recorded for the A-Sides.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    badmotorfinger
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
  • Options
    badmotorfinger

^ that one ^
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • Options
    Superunknown stands up to REPEATED listening. I know this from experience since it's the only worthwhile cassette in my car and every time the radio sucks (which is a lot,) I pop it in. I got this copy when it was released and I'm still not sick of it. Definitely put it on your list.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    LedZepFan wrote:
    from your songs alone, Down on the Upside or Badmotorfinger would be the logical choice. However, you could complete the Soundgarden Holy Trinity and pick up Superunkown as well.

Oh and Bleed Together isnt on an album, it was recorded for the A-Sides.

sounds like a winner, i was thinking about superunknown just due to the fact that ive heard the most about it!
    i will post my favourite once ive gone out and bought all these suckers! :D:D:D

again thanks for the help!

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Options
    just to add my vote: down on the upside !
  • Options
    Badmotorfinger for sure!
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    get the triple strike of badmotorfinger, superunknown and down on the upside. then work backwards towards ultramega OK and louder than love, thats my advice

Thats good advice. You have to add Screaming Life somewhere around Ultramega and Louder, but is definately the wild card.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Superunknown stands up to REPEATED listening. I know this from experience since it's the only worthwhile cassette in my car and every time the radio sucks (which is a lot,) I pop it in. I got this copy when it was released and I'm still not sick of it. Definitely put it on your list.

you said cassette......
  • Options
    DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    Superunknown is Rad.
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Options
    i bought superunknown and have badmotorfinger on my 'christmas list'..thanks alot for the help guys superunknown is awesome i can see it spending alot of time in my car cd player!!

• Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Shoulda got Badmotorfinger first, by far the best.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    Shoulda got Badmotorfinger first, by far the best.
    seein i found superunknown for $15 AUS and badmotorfinger was 25 i picked up superunknown first, i will get the others its all just a matter of time!

• Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    One slight correction. Bleed together was not recorded for A-Sides. The band was broken up when A-Sides came out. It was actually a song left over from the DOTU sessions. There are supposedly others from BMF, SUK, and DOTU that have never been released...one of them being a song that Matt Cameron said is one of the best he thinks Chris ever wrote, called Christi.

Maybe one day Kim will sit down with a case of beer and a few pizza's and assemble B-Sides for us lowly listeners of all things Soundgarden :)
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    my top 3 in order of preference:

Badmotorfinger
    Down on the Upside
    Louder Than Love
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Love this band to death!!!! :D Rock on for wanting to get more into them jeff's_the_man! I agree with what lots of others have said. Based on the favs you listed I'd say you should for sure get Badmotorfinger AND Down on The Upside. It's quite difficult for me to pick favs with this almighty band... but I must say I find myself listening to these 2 the most. ;)

All the best! You seriously can't go wrong with the untouchable SG! Definitely let us know how it works out. :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    I too, like Superunknown the most
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options
    LauraPJLauraPJ Mendoza, Argentina Posts: 1,777
    For me, all the albums of Soundgarden are amazing. But, I recommend you "Euphoria Morning" by Chris Cornell... it's incredible, very nostalgic by the way, but has some awesome songs such as "When I'm down" and "Sunshower", you must have it!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    Buenos Aires, 11/25/2005
    Buenos Aires, La Plata, 11/13/2011
    Buenos Aires, 04/03/2013
    Santiago, 04/06/2013
    Santiago, 11/04/2015
    Buenos Aires, La Plata, 11/07/2015
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    i agree.

AMAZING music.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    Get Badmotorfinger!! Get it now!! And when you've listened to it for a while go get Superunknown. This is when you really get hooked and you'll go and buy Down on the upside. As a little bonus you should also get Chris Cornell's Euphoria Morning. It will blow your mind! It didn't really get all the credit that it needed, 'cause it's a fantastic album and Cornell is an amazing singer!
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I started with the EP's. Don't discount Louder Than Love either...classic SG right there :)
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    i order you not to buy another cd until you have the entire Soundgarden/Cornell back catalogue, jk about the order part, but your missing out on a lot of beautiful music jeff
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    Go in this order:

1. Superunkonwn
    2. Down on the Upside
    3. Badmotorfinger
    4. Ultramega OK
    5. Louder Than Love
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    only got Badmotorfinger, great album
    favourite song is Jesus Christ Pose
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    Badmotorfinger-New Damage K-I-C-K A-S-S!!!
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • Options
    Superunknown is definately Soundgarden's best work, but Badmotorfinger is pretty close to it. However, "Like Suicide" shall forever remain as Cornell's shining moment!!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    LauraPJLauraPJ Mendoza, Argentina Posts: 1,777
    Superunknown is definately Soundgarden's best work, but Badmotorfinger is pretty close to it. However, "Like Suicide" shall forever remain as Cornell's shining moment!!!!
    Absolutely agree with that!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    Buenos Aires, 11/25/2005
    Buenos Aires, La Plata, 11/13/2011
    Buenos Aires, 04/03/2013
    Santiago, 04/06/2013
    Santiago, 11/04/2015
    Buenos Aires, La Plata, 11/07/2015
  • Options

hell yeah!! man there are sooo many good songs on superunknown, its def. one of my fav albums in my collection and ive only had it 3-4 days!! im really excited about getting badmotorfinger cause its got a lot of fkn good songs on it. didnt know about chris cornell's solo album but i will def. go searching for that 1 as well!!

once again thanks for all the help!