Band you love but no one else has heard of

Comments

• JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Grace Potter & the Nocturnals
    Black Mountain
    Wailin Jennys
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Well not too many people....

Prong
    Fugazi
    Rise Against

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    grace potter is pretty well known now I would say

The Breakfast
    http://www.thebreakfast.org
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    'Sons of Sylvia' ....three brothers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgcxBUMviw

patiently waiting for album # 2 and hopefully a chance to see them live

People have heard but haven't listened long or hard enough
    Ms. Lisa Marie Presley
    this written for her Mama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrNubxGfPrI
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    Concrete Blonde
    Nice shirt.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    pipedreams wrote:
    Angel City

Great band! They are called "the angels" in most countries. They called themselves Angel City in the U.S. So that they wouldn get confused with another band called Angel.
    Thelonious Monster
    Jason and The Sorchers
    Voice of the Beehive
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Don McCloskey
    :mrgreen:
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Local Ottawa bands:
    Amos The Transparent
    The Balconies
    Jim Bryson
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Endochine. An Austin band that broke up a few years ago. Harmonious guitar power-pop, can go hard and soft, lots of hooks and great melodies. Two singer/guitarists traded off lead vocals while the other harmonized. They had all the goods to get popular, never understood why they didn’t, probably just needed a bit more time together. I saw them many times when they came up to Dallas and a few times out in LA. I chatted with one of them before one of the LA shows and remembered noticing that he seemed really down. I read later about their breakup and one of them said that it hit them while they were driving to a show in LA that they were in the wrong band. I think that was the day I must have met them, they were not into it that night. Otherwise every time I saw them they were great. Influenced by Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, and sounded better than Coldplay before Coldplay was Coldplay.

One of the singers, Casey Macpherson, broke it up and founded the band Alpha Rev, which is still going.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Low vs. Diamond.

Loves their debut album...haven't heard much from them lately. Not sure if they're working on a 2nd album or not, but I sure hope they are.
  • dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    Im sure people have heard a song from this band, and maybe people have heard of em here but Ive never heard anything about them here and none of my friends have heard of them but we're pretty young.

Presidents of the United States of America.
    Tripping Daisy

tripping daisy were fucking fabulous. i miss the shit outta them...
    dpmay wrote:
    Im sure people have heard a song from this band, and maybe people have heard of em here but Ive never heard anything about them here and none of my friends have heard of them but we're pretty young.

Presidents of the United States of America.
    Tripping Daisy

tripping daisy were fucking fabulous. i miss the shit outta them...

Is the Polyphonic Spree still in existence?
  • Rodrigo y Gabriela
    Explosions in the Sky
    Mumford n Sons
    teagan and sara
    Brand New
    Soulive

hmmm and more i can't remember so enjoy if you haven't heard any... :D
  • caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
    In my school only a few people listen to metal but the ones that do aren't really hardcore or anything. So here is the list a lot of it is grungr 'cos my generation sucks:
    After Forever
    Amaran
    Bush
    Celestial Crown
    Chimaira
    Death
    Dimmu Borgir
    Dolorian (excellent band)
    Einherjer
    Graveworm
    Headstrong (no not that crappy song, the band!)
    I Mother Earth
    Lullacry
    Melvins
    Mudhoney
    Otep
    Pain of Salvation
    Paradise Lost
    Probot
    Screaming Trees
    Shadows Fall
    Silverchair
    Sirenia
    Sonic Youth
    Soilwork
    Tiamat

Yup that's the list

Out of those, I absolutely love Pain of Salvation. They are amazing musicians!
    A few suggestions:
    The Gathering (From the Netherlands. This band's singer, until 4 years ago, has the most amazing voice ever)
    Anathema (From England. I don't know how to describe them, but their music is really "emotional", for lack of a better term)
    Riverside (From Poland. Sounds a little like Anathema, but with more progressive elements. Very talented guys!)
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    PAW

They were out of Kansas and their first album, Dragline, came out around the same time as the grunge explosion. The lead singer sounds like an angry Ed Vedder, and although the album is hard rock, there are touches of country influence weaved in.

If you like rock, you will like Paw.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Jason P wrote:
    PAW

They were out of Kansas and their first album, Dragline, came out around the same time as the grunge explosion. The lead singer sounds like an angry Ed Vedder, and although the album is hard rock, there are touches of country influence weaved in.

Wow :clap: I remember PAW ... saw them live a few times think if memory serves Mark Hennessy was the singer,kind of crazy wild looking guy,heavily tattooed if I remember ... they were a good band from what I remember.

My not often heard of band are The Two Gallants
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Water Kitten
    Gold Mountain
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    Memphis
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    I remember them too! I have all of their songs, that song Jessie about the dog used to make me cry!!!! :lol::lol:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    PAW

Wow :clap: I remember PAW ... saw them live a few times think if memory serves Mark Hennessy was the singer,kind of crazy wild looking guy,heavily tattooed if I remember ... they were a good band from what I remember.

My not often heard of band are The Two Gallants
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    I know you guys would all know Marcy Playground but every time I mention them here, noone knows who I'm talking about and same goes for Mr. Bungle. :)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    The Dirtbombs
    The Datsuns
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • The Golden Dogs "Construction Worker"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5zPr5nDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI7odVzpckk
    Golden Dogs "Never Meant Any Harm"

golden dogs "YEAH" (2004)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGfL6RwIta4
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The Felice Brothers

Check em out. Great fucking band. Especially live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcVku6bFe-U
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Justin Townes Earle
    Richard Thompson
    Hank Williams III

Hell yes on all of those. LOVE them.

The Felice Brothers are in heavy rotation in my house. I guess they are becoming more well known now. They fucking should. They are amazing live.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Justin Townes Earle
    Richard Thompson
    Hank Williams III

The Felice Brothers are in heavy rotation in my house. I guess they are becoming more well known now. They fucking should. They are amazing live.

Fuck yeah, awesome to hear some people know about The Felice Brothers. Absolutely incredible live. They have so much fun on stage. Great time.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Justin Townes Earle
    Richard Thompson
    Hank Williams III

Fuck yeah, awesome to hear some people know about The Felice Brothers. Absolutely incredible live. They have so much fun on stage. Great time.

Totally. I love watching a band rocking out and visibly enjoying themselves. They have so much energy. ...Do you listen to Simone Felice's solo stuff or his band The Duke and the King? Also great.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • THE SWORD!
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Totally. I love watching a band rocking out and visibly enjoying themselves. They have so much energy. ...Do you listen to Simone Felice's solo stuff or his band The Duke and the King? Also great.

Hell yeah, it's a great time and they just love playing. Honestly, one of my favorite live bands I have ever seen.

I have listened to him a bit, The Duke and the King I started listening to recently.

Check out A.A Bondy as well. He is the husband of the Felice brothers sister (I believe) and is not bad himself.