Options

Dinosaur Jr. in Pittsburgh

primusprimus Posts: 7
edited November 2005 in Other Music
December 1st Jay, Lou, and Murph decend upon Pittsburgh. Anyone else going?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I'd love to check this out. I wish Mr. Smalls didnt suck so much.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I'd love to check this out. I wish Mr. Smalls didnt suck so much.

WORST VENUE EVER! And it smells like rotten curry.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    BUENA wrote:
    WORST VENUE EVER! And it smells like rotten curry.

I saw Ryan Adams there, and they actually had to fix the sound for about 20 minutes after he started his set....it was WAYYYY to loud, and it was at least 500 degrees in the place. Aside from all that, Ryan played an incredible set.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I saw Ryan Adams there, and they actually had to fix the sound for about 20 minutes after he started his set....it was WAYYYY to loud, and it was at least 500 degrees in the place. Aside from all that, Ryan played an incredible set.

I saw one of those 4 emo bands on a bill for 10 bucks. The place was packed. The sound was bad, the people who work at the venue are unfriendly bitches. They could have Pearl Jam play there and I would not go. I would rather not see live music than go to that shithole ever again. It's criminal that they call themselves a venue.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Generally if a venue has poor sound J just cranks his guitar up so loud it does not matter and it just vibrates the entire fucking building :)

I saw these guys over the summer and i've seen j solo like three times. If you are a dino fan you have to go to this show they are playing some great sets.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    The only Dino Jr. stuff I own is Without a Sound and Where You Been.

Does anyone know what they've been playing on the tour recently? I'm going to pick up all the early albums anyways, but I'd like to see a set list so I know what to buy first.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    The only Dino Jr. stuff I own is Without a Sound and Where You Been.

Does anyone know what they've been playing on the tour recently? I'm going to pick up all the early albums anyways, but I'd like to see a set list so I know what to buy first.

They are playing there first three albums on tour. It is a reunion tour because Merge Rercords re released their first three
    Dinosaur
    You're Living all over Me
    Bug

You might be able to get them cheap at the merge records website. I think they had free shipping on them

All are good but i truely enjoy your're living all over me it is one of my favorite dino albums. You can go to their fourm at http://www.freakscene.net and look at old setlist, but they are just taken from those three albums.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I'm going to do that then. Thats a pretty good deal, all 3 for $33.

Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    i have lurked on the PJ list from time to time, and seen people interested in these guys. so i thought i would join in and post this note i just got from surefire, who seem to be the original source for these:
    Dear Friends:

Although we have never before engaged in a pre-order system for our mail order
    endeavors, we have also never seen the creeping demand for our records grow as
    quickly as they have for the upcoming reissues of the first three DINOSAUR JR
    records on vinyl LP (on four different colors). Therefore we are asking that
    those of you who plan on purchasing these records via SUREFIRE MAIL ORDER,
    pre-order your copies at this time. It now appears that we will have the
    records in hand and ready to ship to our mail order customers on November 11
    2005. By having the orders ahead of time we will be able to ensure that we have
    all the packing supplies, postage, and time necessary to process such a quantity
    of mail. To encourage your help, we will be offering the LPs at a lower price
    for pre-orderers (that is you!), and if you buy all three (the DINOSAUR JR
    PACK), you also get a FREE copy of the J MASCIS - FREE SO FREE LP. So sign up
    for yours today! and THANKS for your support.

"DINOSAUR JR. put Alternative Rock into the mouths of so many of us. Be the
    first on your block to have the reissues on J Mascis' own label, Baked Goods.
    Limited to 2,000 copies each; 500 on black vinyl, 1,500 on different colored
    vinyl. Each release contains bonus tracks."

To order go to this link on the SUREFIRE website:

American/Canadian Customers:
    http://www.surefiredistribution.com/cgi-bin/showlabel.pl?label=bakedgoods

Overseas Customers:
    http://www.surefiredistribution.com/cgi-bin/showlabel.pl?label=bakedgoods&location=world
  • Options
    i have lurked on the PJ list from time to time, and seen people interested in these guys. so i thought i would join in and post this note i just got from surefire, who seem to be the original source for these:
    Dear Friends:

Although we have never before engaged in a pre-order system for our mail order
    endeavors, we have also never seen the creeping demand for our records grow as
    quickly as they have for the upcoming reissues of the first three DINOSAUR JR
    records on vinyl LP (on four different colors). Therefore we are asking that
    those of you who plan on purchasing these records via SUREFIRE MAIL ORDER,
    pre-order your copies at this time. It now appears that we will have the
    records in hand and ready to ship to our mail order customers on November 11
    2005. By having the orders ahead of time we will be able to ensure that we have
    all the packing supplies, postage, and time necessary to process such a quantity
    of mail. To encourage your help, we will be offering the LPs at a lower price
    for pre-orderers (that is you!), and if you buy all three (the DINOSAUR JR
    PACK), you also get a FREE copy of the J MASCIS - FREE SO FREE LP. So sign up
    for yours today! and THANKS for your support.

"DINOSAUR JR. put Alternative Rock into the mouths of so many of us. Be the
    first on your block to have the reissues on J Mascis' own label, Baked Goods.
    Limited to 2,000 copies each; 500 on black vinyl, 1,500 on different colored
    vinyl. Each release contains bonus tracks."

To order go to this link on the SUREFIRE website:

American/Canadian Customers:
    http://www.surefiredistribution.com/cgi-bin/showlabel.pl?label=bakedgoods

Overseas Customers:
    http://www.surefiredistribution.com/cgi-bin/showlabel.pl?label=bakedgoods&location=world

VEry nice. I'm not much of a vinyl collector or else i would really be salivating!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Woo. i am fucking excited. i can't wait for tomorrow.

all I have to do is get through a science test, an english test, and a math test. . . then its off to DINOSAUR JR!
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    Woo. i am fucking excited. i can't wait for tomorrow.

all I have to do is get through a science test, an english test, and a math test. . . then its off to DINOSAUR JR!

:D I am green with Envy wish i was up in the Burgh!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    I'm heading to this tonight. I'm pretty excited...I was a tad young to see them back in the day, but nowI'm getting my chance. I've never been to Mr Small's before, but I'm a little scared based on what's been said here.

Enjoy, everyone!
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    intodeep wrote:
    :D I am green with Envy wish i was up in the Burgh!
    same here. why oh why will you not play Colorado damnit!
  • Options
    You folks enjoy the show?

I really enjoyed it. Great setlist, and they sounded great (aside from the shitty mix - vocals would have been nice).
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    Stelly wrote:
    You folks enjoy the show?

I really enjoyed it. Great setlist, and they sounded great (aside from the shitty mix - vocals would have been nice).

My ears are still ringing, and I cant hear out of my left ear. I was in the front row, directly in front of mascis. I could have leaned over and touched him. He is mesmerizing. They were unbelieveable.

Side note: I'm never going to back to mr small's again. This was pretty much a dinosaur jr instrumental concert. Absolutely no vocals, and they curfewed the show at 11. Fuck.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    My ears are still ringing, and I cant hear out of my left ear. I was in the front row, directly in front of mascis. I could have leaned over and touched him. He is mesmerizing. They were unbelieveable.

Side note: I'm never going to back to mr small's again. This was pretty much a dinosaur jr instrumental concert. Absolutely no vocals, and they curfewed the show at 11. Fuck.

Is the mix always that poor there? Dinosaur Jr was the first show I've gone to there. I was about halfway back, by the merch stand. The instruments sounded good, but the vocals were so low in the mix.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    Stelly wrote:
    Is the mix always that poor there? Dinosaur Jr was the first show I've gone to there. I was about halfway back, by the merch stand. The instruments sounded good, but the vocals were so low in the mix.

the sound is always awful. There was a nice write up in the post gazette today.

Concert review: Dinosaur Jr. show a blast
    Saturday, December 03, 2005

By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

By the time you read this, Dinosaur Jr. fans should be regaining at least most of their hearing.

If you want to say that contemporaries Husker Du were after the land speed record, then Dino Jr. was dead set on breaking the sound barrier.

The original band -- J Mascis, Lou Barlow and Murph -- brought its reunion tour to Mr. Small's Thursday night, and to call them a power trio would be like calling Gravedigger an SUV.

With his long (now) gray hair flying in his face, Mascis stood up there among the amps and distortion pedals like Zeus sending down thunderbolts.

Earplugs, cotton, a roll of toilet paper, two big pillows -- nothing was sufficient to hold off the awesome volume as Dinosaur Jr. roared through a set of songs from its first three albums.

Not that Dinosaur Jr. shouldn't be enjoyed loud, but at times it got in the way of music, whether it was on the intricate breaks during "Kracked," "Budge" or "The Lung," or the delicate melody of "Post." It also has a way of slowing the music down, keeping songs like "Freak Scene" from really taking off.

But, wow, as the show was reaching its climax, the power of those multiple guitar amps on "Sludgefeast," Mascis' shout-out to Black Sabbath, was metal nirvana (to evoke the name of band that ran with Dino's ball and got the glory). Dino did find some of that land speed on "Raisans" and a euphoric finale of "The Wagon," the only post-Barlow song in the set.

On this first tour back, Dinosaur Jr. didn't really offer the full range of its dynamics, and fans of the later records may have been disappointed, but it's not every day you see an aging band revisit music that's 15 to 20 years old with so much raw power and intensity.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05337/616403.stm
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:

Worst venue ever. I said it earlier in this thread. If you go to Mr. Smalls to see a live show, that venue will help you hate live music.
  • Options
    Or should I say THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CAMBRIDGE....I'M PSYCHED, IT'S A DVD SHOOT 'N SHIT!
    Our love is like our music, it's here... and then it's gone.
  • Options
    Holy Shit :eek: they played the wagon??? They did not play any songs off any albums besides the first three when i saw them.

I saw a J Mascis solo show at the 40 watt in athens ga probalby about a year and a half ago and it was the loudest show i've ever heard (seen J 3 times and dino once) out of any band. I was front row and could not hear the vocals at all. The guy next to me yelled up to J between songs "J we can't hear your vocals.... He said It's okay i i cna't hear them either and then ripped into another song. I thought tha was funny. Even better was Before the show i was talking to Dave Sckools (widespread who was playing bass for J at the time) and he said this will be the loudest show ever at the 40 Watt, which i think it probably was!

They keep talking about this mythical DVD they are going to release from this tour i hope it really happens.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22