RIP OFF! SOLAT vs Unfinished

JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Hey all. I'm busting for someone, anyone to tell me they've heard Pete Murray's Unfinished and whether or not it sounds like a rip off of SOLAT.
I'm sorry I can't give you a link but I'm technologically challenged! Please, please, please everytime I listen I feel like I'm going mad!
NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
The currents will shift
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yeh mate you have got a point there they are pretty similar but i am a big fan of pete and i am sure it wasnt intentional.
    here is a link for people if you want to listen to it. just scroll down to unfinished and press play. hope fully this works.

http://www.channelgo.com.au/Artist.aspx?album=170579&artist=11792
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    yeh mate you have got a point there they are pretty similar but i am a big fan of pete and i am sure it wasnt intentional.
    here is a link for people if you want to listen to it. just scroll down to unfinished and press play. hope fully this works.

http://www.channelgo.com.au/Artist.aspx?album=170579&artist=11792

I love Pete too but if not intentional then pretty heavily influenced by wouldn't you say? Thanks for the link, worked great. Just glad someone else can hear the similarity! I thought I was projecting!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • i woulndnt be suprised if pete murray was influenced by pearl jam when he was growing up beacuse they are very similar with their beliefs and messages thay portray in their lyrics and actions, if that makes any sense. it will be interesting to see what other people write.
    i woulndnt be suprised if pete murray was influenced by pearl jam when he was growing up beacuse they are very similar with their beliefs and messages thay portray in their lyrics and actions, if that makes any sense. it will be interesting to see what other people write.

I agree, but don't hold your breath waiting to see if anyone else has an opinion on this. I've asked this same question 3 times on the pit since August and you are the first person who has heard both songs and responded. THANKS FOR THAT!!! As you can see it was burning question in my life! ;-)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanie wrote:
    I agree, but don't hold your breath waiting to see if anyone else has an opinion on this. I've asked this same question 3 times on the pit since August and you are the first person who has heard both songs and responded. THANKS FOR THAT!!! As you can see it was burning question in my life! ;-)

well how many people know pete murray outside australia?
    i'm not a pete murray fan but i can hear what you're talking about.
    there are similarities but i wouldn't go looking for any big pearl jam influence. not that i'm discounting that possibility. it's just one of those things.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    well how many people know pete murray outside australia?
    i'm not a pete murray fan but i can hear what you're talking about.
    there are similarities but i wouldn't go looking for any big pearl jam influence. not that i'm discounting that possibility. it's just one of those things.

Probably not many which I'm sure has been the problem. I'm not looking for a big pearl jam influence I just think the harmonica part in Unfinished is a complete rip of SOLAT and as I can't read tablature I'd really like to know if the notes and the progression is the same. IMO it seems to close to be an accident. Anyhoo, glad to hear your opinion. :-)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    you know when i hear 'here comes your man' by Pixies and frank black starts to sing all i can hear is yellow ledbetter.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I'm not all that musical (a drummer), but I do know that this song is definitely in a different key to SOLAT, even if it's a similar chord progression. I think he gets away with it. I do think this song is more boring than SOLAT anyway; it doesn't make me want to run around the room breaking stuff.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    I'm not all that musical (a drummer), but I do know that this song is definitely in a different key to SOLAT, even if it's a similar chord progression. I think he gets away with it. I do think this song is more boring than SOLAT anyway; it doesn't make me want to run around the room breaking stuff.

of course it doesn't dude. it's pete murray. :rolleyes:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    i've never heard of pete murray but he sounds good! and yes... the chords do sound VERY similar, i might have to check him out a little further.
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
    spat wrote:
    i've never heard of pete murray but he sounds good! and yes... the chords do sound VERY similar, i might have to check him out a little further.

You should. He's a great mellow, lyrical performer. (even if he has been completely commercialized and flogged to death in the media here) And not doing too bad for such a late bloomer! He certainly isn't the kind of music to go "running around the room breaking stuff" to but that's what slipknot's for! ;-)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • F minor to A minor chord progression. Yeah...same as SOLAT.
    F minor to A minor chord progression. Yeah...same as SOLAT.

My musically challenged mind thanks you. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Pete is a big Pearl Jam fan

https://youtu.be/m8WTOWoMjFQ

• E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    I think this one is PJ influenced as well

https://youtu.be/nHNVtcdITzw