Options

Big in 05 on Vh1

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Over the weekend I saw the Big in 05 show on vh1. It was a strange thing.
Scott Weiland was there. He looked like he was on heroin again. A band called Fall out Boy performed. On tv they showed almost every teen in the place singing along to every word of the song by the band. I dont understand it. I dont get the music and I dont like it. Its crap. Its not rock.
Then audioslave performed and introduced by jamie pressley.

What the hell is going on?

When I think of what teens are bumping in their stereo's and rocking out to, Audioslave wouldnt be what people are listening to. Do you think at a party kids are saying, "lets rock this party and put on some audioslave"? Of course not. I dont think in high schools Audioslave is the "it" band. And I dont think teens thought they "were big in 05".

This depite the fact I personally believe Audioslave is one of the best bands in rock right now.

It was just a bizaare thing. I couldnt relate to fallout boy, and I had my mouth open as I saw audioslave perform.

Why did Scott Weiland and Audioslave even appear, I bet half or maybe more of the teens in the audience and also the people watching on tv, had no idea about Soundgarden or Rage, or Stone Temple.

I dont think the name Scott Weiland or Chris Cornell is a big topic of conversation for teens these days.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Those names are only talked about by older teens(18-19) if any at all. Unfortunately rock isn't as big as it should be right now. However, it's good to see both Audioslave and Velvet Revolver at that VH1 event even if I don't really care for either band.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Of course, you all would probably disagree but I like Fall out BOy...give their cd a chance before you listen to just "sugar we're going down"....
    what do you mean rock isnt as big as it should be?
    more and more people everyday are listening to metal...the best music on the planet..
  • Options
    what song did Audioslave perform?
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    People don't need to know about Rage or Soundgarden because it has absolutely no bearing on Audioslave. True they share common member, but that is frankly it.

Nad the 'metal' that is popular is usually really shitty metalcore. And Fallout Boy does suck. their album is as bad as Audioslave's
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    it's not about staying power - it's about catchiness. and the two fall out boy songs that i have heard are about as catchy as it gets. but, i never crave to hear those songs.
    Scott Weiland was there. He looked like he was on heroin again. A band called Fall out Boy performed. On tv they showed almost every teen in the place singing along to every word of the song by the band. I dont understand it. I dont get the music and I dont like it. Its crap. Its not rock.

When I think of what teens are bumping in their stereo's and rocking out to, Audioslave wouldnt be what people are listening to. Do you think at a party kids are saying, "lets rock this party and put on some audioslave"? Of course not. I dont think in high schools Audioslave is the "it" band. And I dont think teens thought they "were big in 05".

This depite the fact I personally believe Audioslave is one of the best bands in rock right now.

It was just a bizaare thing. I couldnt relate to fallout boy, and I had my mouth open as I saw audioslave perform.

Why did Scott Weiland and Audioslave even appear, I bet half or maybe more of the teens in the audience and also the people watching on tv, had no idea about Soundgarden or Rage, or Stone Temple.

I dont think the name Scott Weiland or Chris Cornell is a big topic of conversation for teens these days.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    has scott weiland ever NOT looked like he's on heroin?

def leppard also performed. i thought this was strange, since a tour with bryan adams does not count as "big in '05" in my book. but i love def leppard so i'm not complaining. flame away.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Scott Weiland is still alive?
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    i thought the opposite of weiland.......thought he looked healthy.......a beard and short haircut hardl;y qualify as being on heroin.......i am not a huge fan of his but i will say those are foolish views
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    DocChicago wrote:
    has scott weiland ever NOT looked like he's on heroin?
    True.....but you could have added "Has Scott Weiland ever not acted like he's on heroin?"
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    i love fall out boy. they've been writing excellent pop/rock, pop/punk songs and dominating local chicago music for years. they deserve to be getting recognition right now. they aren't the greatest band in the world but they write fun songs with clever lyrics and they rock out. don't just dismiss them. they aren't your typical sum 41 band
  • Options
    i love fall out boy. they've been writing excellent pop/rock, pop/punk songs and dominating local chicago music for years. they deserve to be getting recognition right now. they aren't the greatest band in the world but they write fun songs with clever lyrics and they rock out. don't just dismiss them. they aren't your typical sum 41 band

they can be dismissed easily if you don't like what you hear.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186

Im in High school and Audioslave is one of my favorite bands, along with most of my friends, there's still hope for rock music in generations to come. Fall Out Boy is the worst, but me and my friends get a kick out of mocking the songs and singing them ridiculously, if I had kids and I cought them listening to FOB i might beat them
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    i don't wanna be a party pooper but audioslave suck imo

so it's wuite possible that's what the kids are listening to.

they sold over one million of each of their albums. thats alot nowadays considering green day are huge right now and american idiot is only 4x platinum
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    falloutboy sucks
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    it's not about staying power - it's about catchiness. and the two fall out boy songs that i have heard are about as catchy as it gets. but, i never crave to hear those songs.

System of a Down's album hypnotize(the first one) was probably one of the catchiest albums i've ever heard. But they apparantly weren't big in '05. All the really good bands woluld never dare to perform at a show like this. I love audioslave, but lost a little respect for them after playing this show. This is worse than the MTV video awards.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    don't worry about it...

there are a million other bands exactly like fall out boy.. they're all terrible...

its a fad.. like britney spears was 5 years ago.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    "if I had kids and I cought them listening to FOB i might beat them"

Hilarious. Made me laugh
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    T-Case wrote:
    Im in High school and Audioslave is one of my favorite bands, along with most of my friends, there's still hope for rock music in generations to come. Fall Out Boy is the worst, but me and my friends get a kick out of mocking the songs and singing them ridiculously, if I had kids and I cought them listening to FOB i might beat them

you have restored my faith in today's youth! thank you.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I recently turned 15. I love Audioslave and Rage and Stone Temple Pilots etc..and I hate these current bands like Fall Out Boy. I was asking myself the same question last night...how the hell did they get Weiland there, and why were Audioslave performing..without Morello no less. I really hate the crappy music world I'm growing up in, I'm just glad theres good music from past years to fall back on.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    pjfan020 wrote:
    All the really good bands woluld never dare to perform at a show like this. I love audioslave, but lost a little respect for them after playing this show. This is worse than the MTV video awards.
    Oh my god..i hate when narrowminded fucks say these kind of things.

Just because they were populars and on a damn tv show doesn't mean in anyway that they suck.. You lost respect for Audioslave because they performed there? wow open your mind
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:

Just because they were populars and on a damn tv show doesn't mean in anyway that they suck.. You lost respect for Audioslave because they performed there? wow open your mind

I agree. So I take it since Pearl Jam performed on the Mtv Music awards you lost respect for them too?
    I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
    - Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:

yeah i deffinately agree, when audioslave plays a set or song on a show like that i gain respect for the show for actually having good music, its not like they're doing a trapped in the closet thing for VH-1

My god he's been ate!
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I didn't lose respect for them because they played a television show. It's because what the show is about. Did you watch the show? The awards they gave out were fucking ridiculous. It's a show that glorifies celebreties like Jessica Simpson, Lindsay Lohan, and dumbass shows like Laguna Beach and shit like that. I think they're music is great, but I just think it was kind of retarded of them to be playing a show like that...and how does vh1 playing fall out boy and INXS qualify as good music.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    pjfan020 wrote:
    I didn't lose respect for them because they played a television show. It's because what the show is about. Did you watch the show? The awards they gave out were fucking ridiculous. It's a show that glorifies celebreties like Jessica Simpson, Lindsay Lohan, and dumbass shows like Laguna Beach and shit like that. I think they're music is great, but I just think it was kind of retarded of them to be playing a show like that...and how does vh1 playing fall out boy and INXS qualify as good music.

All award shows are ridiculous. They are all industry created events (no matter what the industry) to slurp each other.
    3/28/94; 10/7/96; 9/23/98; 8/9/00; 8/10/00; 7/8/03; 7/9/03; 10/1/04; 10/3/05; 5/13/06; 5/27/06; 6/1/06; 6/3/06

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit...what a ride!"
  • Options
    i hate fallout boy
  • Options
    pjfan020 wrote:
    They arent good music, they suck, I was just saying that Audioslave is good music so i gain some respect for the show for having a good band on there

My god he's been ate!