Options

Jerry Cantrell

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited May 2006 in Other Music
What did you all think when you first heard the entire Degredation trip vol 1 and 2 cd's?

I felt like throwing up, I had a headache and I was dizzy. Few albums have made this happen to me, and when it does, I know they are gems.

This album seems to me to be extremely powerful.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    its an amazing album, great songwriting i wish he would put another album out, instead of doing the alice in chains thing without layne.
  • Options
    ToeJamToeJam Posts: 35
    Chemical Tribe is my fav JC song.
    We all walk the long road
  • Options
    I thought it was fucking awesome. I still remember the first time I heard it. It was at night and I was driving back home and the full moon was out. The whole atmosphere just fit the mood of the album perfectly. I know my mouth must've been open for the majority of it.

It's really too bad that more people didn't pick up this album as I feel it is one of the most overlooked gems of all music history.

I really wish he'd at least release SOMETHING new.
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    i got Degradation Trip on the release date and was blown away..got the 2 discs version later in December..was blown away even further.
    that's why am alittle pissed with this whole new AIC reunion thing cos i was really looking forward to his third album.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    verb_to_trustverb_to_trust Posts: 178
    Degradation Trip...........home of the REAL "gone"
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    i was really looking forward to his third album.

Yeah it was up there with my highlights of the year.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    Yeah it was up there with my highlights of the year.
    mine too..ah well he told some magazine that it will see the light of day..just not anytime soon
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    danielsondanielson Posts: 25
    I listened to both CD's, didn't love em, went probably 4 months until I listened to them again, and absolutly fell in love with that album. That dude is just amazingly talented, probably my favorite album thats been put out since the turn of the century.

Last two songs on Vol 2 - Thanks anyway and 31/32 are great.
  • Options
    ryantremorryantremor Posts: 28
    Degradation Trip...........home of the REAL "gone"

Thats pretty good...Degradation Trip 1&2 are, simply put, amazing. Boggy Depot is pretty damn good as well.
    I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
    - Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
  • Options
    I didn't like bogey depot so much, loved probably 3 songs, rest of the album was average at best.

On Degradation trip, I'll skip probably 3 songs, which is an incredible ratio for a 25 song set.

I am actually excited about him doing new stuff with the Chains, for the simple fact that Jerry is not a rock star front man. He has a great voice, but he has a great voice in the mold of a singer/songwriter type guy, and the music isn't really geared towards that type of voice. Don't get me wrong, he did a real good job with the vocals, but I think he would be at his best with a rocking lead singer, allowing him to stick with what he is great at - crucial backing vocals, can you think of a second singer adding more to a bands sound than him? Man in the Box, Would, Down in a hole(a bunch others) would not be the same songs without him singing; and he could take lead on songs that fit his dryer, smoother delivery - "Heaven beside you" "Over Now" "Brother" and off this album, "31/32", "Angel Eyes"(as well as a few others)

There were a lot of intances on Degradation trip 1 & 2 where I thought
    "this is a kick ass song, but it would be a classic with Layne singing." Which is unfair, but inevitable, because the stuff sounds so much like what you figure AIC could have become, so its kind of hard not to want to put Layne's voice in there. With that being said, great, great collection of music.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I prefer Boggy Depot to Degradation Trip... but I love Jerry and I've never had a "this is average" moment listening to a song written or sang by him.

I'm not sure about any new AIC stuff... but I can't wait to see them live this summer! I never thought I'd get to see them, the most I hoped for was a Jerry solo tour!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    when i bought the single cd when it came out i was kinda let down. then one day i saw the 2 cd set and bought just cause i like cantrell. didnt think id actually like it since the single cd seemed boring. all the pieces fell into place and became my second favorite non-pj album. it has to be the greatest 2 disc album ever. so many 2 discs i could cut down to one disc. i could maybe cut 1 or 2 songs on this. i do wish he'd dump the alice with out layne deal. he can do so much better than re-hashing his past. degradation trip should be in the 10 of greatest albums of all time. yet most people will never even hear it once, sadly.
  • Options
    all the pieces fell into place and became my second favorite non-pj album. it has to be the greatest 2 disc album ever. so many 2 discs i could cut down to one disc. i could maybe cut 1 or 2 songs on this. degradation trip should be in the 10 of greatest albums of all time. yet most people will never even hear it once, sadly.

The problem is that Roadrunner records seemed to have low expectations for this set, expecting only AIC fans to buy it, when it was capable of having mass appeal. It is pretty hard to market a two disc set to the casual fan, and I agree with you, this is best as a two disc set, he could cut down 3, maybe 5 songs tops, so to hear it at its best, it had to be a two disc set, but for casual fans to buy it, it would have to be one disc. Catch 22 as far as selling records.
  • Options
    danielson wrote:
    The problem is that Roadrunner records seemed to have low expectations for this set, expecting only AIC fans to buy it, when it was capable of having mass appeal. It is pretty hard to market a two disc set to the casual fan, and I agree with you, this is best as a two disc set, he could cut down 3, maybe 5 songs tops, so to hear it at its best, it had to be a two disc set, but for casual fans to buy it, it would have to be one disc. Catch 22 as far as selling records.
    that's why im so glad he left Roadrunner!
    if promoted right..that album would have been HUGE!

YNWA
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    its an amazing album, great songwriting i wish he would put another album out, instead of doing the alice in chains thing without layne.

His third solo album is coming out later this year. Can't remember where I read that now, but fear not it's on its way.
    He has written most of it.

As for Deg Trip I totally love it. I bought the single disc version first as that's what was in the shops in the UK. Didn't actually realise at the time there was a 2 disc version.
    Was soon corrected by the some good friends.
    If my memory serves me correctly, the disc were alternated in my cd player for about three months with no other music played.
    I haven't listened to it lately, went back onto Boggy Depot for a bit.

It's a must have even if you aren't AIC fans.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    he has a new song out called "A Job To Do" It was played at the end of the new John Wick movie. Kick ass song and movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBAePT8RM94
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

he has a new song out called "A Job To Do" It was played at the end of the new John Wick movie. Kick ass song and movie

Completely agree on both points.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options

I don't dare watching the first one because I know they kill his dog :(

I suggested it to my mom though and she rented it and loved it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    An amazing tribute to what had to be a horrible trip. Cathartic masterpiece that shows he is the genius in AIC. I really believe he belongs on the Rushmore of Seattle alt rock
  • Options
    this is probably my fav Cantrell song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Qu4LOxzeg
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,155
    I wonder why they didn't re-release boggy depot first. I love that album!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

of course you have to buy the entire soundtrack to get his song. which just contributes to people stealing music instead of paying for it. so dumb.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Zod said:

I wonder why they didn't re-release boggy depot first. I love that album!

DT was not really a "re-release" in the traditional sense. it was originally intended as a double, and the record company refused to do it. they eventually agreed to release it as a double depending how the single album fared later on down the line. I was annoyed I had to buy it twice, but it's worth it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    didn't know he had another song out.  This one is for DC's Dark Nights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuhP_n_1ukg

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley