Options

modest mouse live

EPhi1430EPhi1430 Posts: 33
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I am going to see modest mouse play in a small club in louisville tomorrow night, which should be freakin awesome. But I was wondering how good they are live and if you know if they play the same set everynight and can i take a camera. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Thats okay man, cause I love Frogs

Shows:
7/2/98 8/18/00 8/20/00 8/21/00 4/21/03(Home town) 4/25/00 - cancelled:( 6/19/03 6/22/03 10/2/04 10/6/04
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Bring a cam, don't know about setlists. If you're wanting perfect musicianship no they aren't perfect live because Isaac Brock is usally piss drunk, but J. Marr was on time.

But if you're looking for a fun concert, enjoy, cause that it is. It's like a drunk hippie disco man.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I saw them once and they were not that impressive.

I've heard they can be pretty hit or miss live. When they hit evidently it can be an incrediable experience though.

Even when i saw them i did not think they were bad i just was not overwhelmed by them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    In terms of their studio work, they are one of my favorite bands. But after seeing them live twice, I am not planning on paying to see them live again. The first time I saw them a few years ago, they played for barely more than an hour despite being on their headlining tour. They ignored The Moon and Antarctica completely. They sounded okay on what they did play, but just okay. The second time, at a festival-type performance, they absolutely butchered a number of my favorite songs. Everyone was off, not just Isaac Brock. It was horribly painful.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Word is there are only about 200-300 tickets for the show so that should make it pretty cool.

Shows:
    7/2/98 8/18/00 8/20/00 8/21/00 4/21/03(Home town) 4/25/00 - cancelled:( 6/19/03 6/22/03 10/2/04 10/6/04
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    You mean they don't have everything down to a science?
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I just saw them last night in Philly.....they sounded great but the crowd sucked, they were all assholes ( made me love PJ fans so much more:) )
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    http://www.interstate-8.com/setlists.asp

saw them a couple months ago and they were awesome.
  • Options
    I just saw them last night in Philly.....they sounded great but the crowd sucked, they were all assholes ( made me love PJ fans so much more:) )

I was there too. Why do they attracts such fucking dicks to their shows? I joined the MM board today just to go on there and bitch about cocky frat boys and mosh pits. There were some really cool people there, but goddamn. AND DON'T TALK DURING BROKE, FUCKERS.

They did sound great too. I saw them a couple years ago and they weren't as good. I guess it's hit or miss. Here was the set:

Invisible
    Paper Thin Walls
    Dashboard
    Fire It Up
    Bukowski
    Education
    Float On
    Fly Trapped In A Jar
    Missed The Boat
    Broke
    Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes
    Doin' The Cockroach
    Little Motel
    Satin In A Coffin
    Black Cadillacs
    The View

Encore:

Bury Me With It
    Out Of Gas
    Dramamine
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options
    I was there too. Why do they attracts such fucking dicks to their shows? I joined the MM board today just to go on there and bitch about cocky frat boys and mosh pits. There were some really cool people there, but goddamn. AND DON'T TALK DURING BROKE, FUCKERS.

They did sound great too. I saw them a couple years ago and they weren't as good. I guess it's hit or miss. Here was the set:

Invisible
    Paper Thin Walls
    Dashboard
    Fire It Up
    Bukowski
    Education
    Float On
    Fly Trapped In A Jar
    Missed The Boat
    Broke
    Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes
    Doin' The Cockroach
    Little Motel
    Satin In A Coffin
    Black Cadillacs
    The View

Encore:

Bury Me With It
    Out Of Gas
    Dramamine
    thanks for the set list....there was a few i didn't know ...now I do:) thanks
    as for the crowd..there was one point my husband and I almost left because of people throwing bottles and some drunk ass fuck trying to mosh in the middle of a regular crowd. they guy almost knocked me to the ground 4-5 times...the final time my husband lost it and grabbed the guy and told him to knock it the fuck off. I mean i understand there are those who wanna mosh but this guy was just being an ass...I mean come on it's a modest mouse concert! If he would of tried moshing at a Clutch concert he would of gotten the piss knocked out of him.
    Sorry for my rant....I was just glad to hear someone else's frustrations with the crowd last night. :)
  • Options
    thanks for the set list....there was a few i didn't know ...now I do:) thanks
    as for the crowd..there was one point my husband and I almost left because of people throwing bottles and some drunk ass fuck trying to mosh in the middle of a regular crowd. they guy almost knocked me to the ground 4-5 times...the final time my husband lost it and grabbed the guy and told him to knock it the fuck off. I mean i understand there are those who wanna mosh but this guy was just being an ass...I mean come on it's a modest mouse concert! If he would of tried moshing at a Clutch concert he would of gotten the piss knocked out of him.
    Sorry for my rant....I was just glad to hear someone else's frustrations with the crowd last night. :)

i feel your pain! It's just not what i want to be a part of, i guess. I like to think I don't listen to bands that that attract that kind of thing (except maybe Rage...atleast at a Rage show I could understand). The guys next to me were moshing during The View (?!). The worst possible song to mosh to. ughhgghghghhgghgh. I wanted to stare at the sky in peace at the end of that one, and instead i was moving around to get my 5'2" GF away from them.

anyway, now my rant is over! but for more "me ranting" see my thread at MM board:

http://www.modmouse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7259
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options
    i feel your pain! It's just not what i want to be a part of, i guess. I like to think I don't listen to bands that that attract that kind of thing (except maybe Rage...atleast at a Rage show I could understand). The guys next to me were moshing during The View (?!). The worst possible song to mosh to. ughhgghghghhgghgh. I wanted to stare at the sky in peace at the end of that one, and instead i was moving around to get my 5'2" GF away from them.

anyway, now my rant is over! but for more "me ranting" see my thread at MM board:

http://www.modmouse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7259
    nice rant:)
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    JSBE wrote:
    http://www.interstate-8.com/setlists.asp

saw them a couple months ago and they were awesome.

hmmm, this website reminds me of another website. I can't put my finger on it though. :D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    saw them at lollapalooza and thought they sucked. Pretty boring imo.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    Any reports on how the show in Louisville was?
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Options
    Well I thought the show in Louisville was amazing. It was hot as hell in the bar but they played at awesome show. Spitting the Venom had to be the highlight for me. Oh, Band of Horses on of the opening bands was not bad either. The one downer of the show was the sound messed up a few times. The stage was not made for six people on stage at once. But I am now I huge Modest Mouse fan now after that show. It was quite the experience...

Shows:
  • Options
    EPhi1430 wrote:
    Well I thought the show in Louisville was amazing. It was hot as hell in the bar but they played at awesome show. Spitting the Venom had to be the highlight for me. Oh, Band of Horses on of the opening bands was not bad either. The one downer of the show was the sound messed up a few times. The stage was not made for six people on stage at once. But I am now I huge Modest Mouse fan now after that show. It was quite the experience...
    Glad you had a good time!

I've seen them 5 times: 1 was incredible, 1 was insane, 2 were pretty good, and 1 was average.

Regardless of how the live show is from night to night, you're still going to see one of the best bands of the last 10 years (IMO) who've written some of the most interesting music in the last 10 years (again, my opinion).
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 691
    edited January 2016
    New tour announced with Brand New, while not overly familiar with that band, I'm stoked to see Modest Mouse again
  • Options
    Pretty much every live video I have seen of these guys has not sounded good. 

But I have the oppurtunity to see them and I am considering it because they have some great tunes. Still deciding. 

Any one else with thoughts on them? Maybe more recently?
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 691
    I’ve seen them twice and enjoyed the show and sound both times quite a bit.  Tickets have been reasonable as well.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited February 2018
    Pretty much every live video I have seen of these guys has not sounded good. 

But I have the oppurtunity to see them and I am considering it because they have some great tunes. Still deciding. 

Any one else with thoughts on them? Maybe more recently?
    I saw them a year or two ago, and they were fantastic. I have heard mixed reviews on their live show... I have no idea if I just got a bit lucky or what... If so, you could get lucky too. I would urge you to roll the dice on them. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata