shit bands doing covers of good songs

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited December 2005 in Other Music
ok so I was working today and this guy came in and asked for a copy of Amy Lee doing Heart Shaped Box. What is up with this?? I mean it was bad enough for her idiot boyfriend to constantly try to evoke the spirit of St. Kurt by doing covers of Nirvana songs on a nightly basis, that is of course after recording three cds that sound like a shitty bar band doing versions of Bleach (if Bleach fucking sucked). I appreciate that there is no accounting for taste and all but seriously.
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Velvet Revolver - Wish You Were Here

St. Kurt? Give me a break
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    don't even get me started on phil collins doing tomorrow never knows
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Echoes wrote:
    St. Kurt? Give me a break

it was meant in the context of the line
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    ok so I was working today and this guy came in and asked for a copy of Amy Lee doing Heart Shaped Box. What is up with this?? I mean it was bad enough for her idiot boyfriend to constantly try to evoke the spirit of St. Kurt by doing covers of Nirvana songs on a nightly basis, that is of course after recording three cds that sound like a shitty bar band doing versions of Bleach (if Bleach fucking sucked). I appreciate that there is no accounting for taste and all but seriously.

the fact that it's a song aimed at the female - that's sort of weird - but, she has an amazing voice...and, i think seether's covers of nirvana songs are pretty good...and, the guy LOVES kurt...what's the problem with that?
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • BlankiBlanki Posts: 315
    Sheryl Crow doing Sweet Child O' Mine.... oh my god... how does she dares...
    23 Nov 05 - Santiago, Chile
    Come back to SA!!!!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    i hate Evenessence and aint a big fan of Seether that said though Heart Shaped Box sung live and accoustic by Amy is pretty impressive, i downloaded it ages ago and she does a good job, best Nirvana cover i've heard would be Cibo Matto's version of About a Girl.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Blanki wrote:

Nothing wrong with Sheryl Crow
    Wave came crashing...
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Blanki wrote:
    Linkin Park's version was worse ;)
    that Chester guy seems to be always constipated.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • I hated it when Fred Durst covered Behind Blue Eyes.
    Wave came crashing...
  • All saints doing under the bridge from the red hot chilipeppers.
    Terrible!!
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • esther1977 wrote:
    All saints doing under the bridge from the red hot chilipeppers.
    Terrible!!

lol hahahahahahahahahahahah
    youre not serious!
    SURELY THEY DIDNT!

I'm losing it laughing
    Wave came crashing...
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    lol hahahahahahahahahahahah
    youre not serious!
    SURELY THEY DIDNT!

I'm losing it laughing

not only did they do it but it went to no1 here in england, makes me cringe every time i hear it
    honurable mention to Britney Spears attempting to sing I Love Rock n Roll, thats pretty attrocious, Limp Bizkit - Bitter Sweet Symphony, and i also must give mention to Pearl Jams rendition of Last Kiss whilst infinately better than the other songs mentioned i aint a fan
    Can not be arsed with life no more.

i agree how awfull
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    El_Kabong wrote:
    don't even get me started on phil collins doing tomorrow never knows
    Phil needed to knocked off about 1984....everything he's done since then is a total waste.........
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.

hahahaha. i instantly thought of that song when i saw this thread. i hope fred durst gets beat up by scott stapp and then 311 comes in and takes out both of them
  • The Ataris made a terrible cover of Boys of Summer. Enjoy it while it lasts guys.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • some rapper guy ( i dont know who ) didnt quite cover but used parts of buffalo springfields for what its worth ......some other rapper guy used a sample from hendrix's burning of the midnight lamp ...there are tones more ...i hate it when my friends listen to these rap songs and think they are so great and im just thinking ya this song was so much better before they fucked with it
    some rapper guy ( i dont know who ) didnt quite cover but used parts of buffalo springfields for what its worth ......some other rapper guy used a sample from hendrix's burning of the midnight lamp ...there are tones more ...i hate it when my friends listen to these rap songs and think they are so great and im just thinking ya this song was so much better before they fucked with it
    Your post reminded of a similar case......Vanilla Ice stealing "Under Pressure" from David Bowie and Queen....:)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    how about Madonna doing that chevy to the levy song whatever the fuck its called.

That was an attrocity.

Oh wait, you said shit bands covering good songs.
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • I think I remember Eminem taking bits and pieces of an Aerosmith song and completely messed everything up. And Seether hardly does as many covers as people exaggerate them doing. The ones they have done have been done pretty well.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • tybird wrote:
    Your post reminded of a similar case......Vanilla Ice stealing "Under Pressure" from David Bowie and Queen....:)

oh god dont get me started on that one hahahahaa
    oh god dont get me started on that one hahahahaa
    Thank God that Queen & Bowie won the law suit......
  • I always hated hearing Alien Ant Farm's cover of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal"....I was never a fan of theirs but it especially got me mad because I felt they got famous by covering that song not from their own, original songs...I feel like that violates some sort of unwritten rule--a band must be good and established before they cover a song.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • brainofPjB wrote:
    I always hated hearing Alien Ant Farm's cover of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal"....I was never a fan of theirs but it especially got me mad because I felt they got famous by covering that song not from their own, original songs...I feel like that violates some sort of unwritten rule--a band must be good and established before they cover a song.

*dirty little secret....

i like this song
    ....ya its pretty embaressing but i cant help it
  • I heard on K-Rock that Evanesance was doing a cover of "Immortality". =/
    Reading, PA
    Washington DC
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Philadelphia, PA
    New York, NY
    Albany, NY
    Hartford, CT
    Camden, NJ
    Camden, NJ
    Washington DC
    E Rutherford, NJ
    E Rutherford, NJ
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Gorge
    The Gorge
    Honolulu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    some rapper guy ( i dont know who ) didnt quite cover but used parts of buffalo springfields for what its worth ...
    Public Enemy for the "He Got Game" soundtrack. Pretty bad, I agree.

I hated Joss Stone's "Fell In Love With A Boy." Not only was is a terrible take on the original(with a terrible change in titles!), but it was like 6 months after the original came out! The original with the Lego video was still popular when she comes out with her crappy cover.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Come With Me = Kashmir

What was Jimmy Page thinking?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Come With Me = Kashmir

What was Jimmy Page thinking?

PBM

the benjamins!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours

Limp Bizkit's also been known to cover Master of Puppets, so Fred Durst is a repeat offender. I like 311, but they do a live cover of D'yer Maker that is horrendous.
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    *dirty little secret....

i like this song
    ....ya its pretty embaressing but i cant help it
    haha its ok when it first came out i liked it too, now i just kid of think its funny
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!