Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
edited August 2007 in Other Music
What a classic fucking album!!! I remember listening to this album when it first came out when I was still in Junior High School and my friends and I would jam to it in the outside common area of my school.

21 years later I still love listening to this album. But it doesn't stop there...The Beastie Boys were music pioneers for hip hop. They blazed so many trails that have been followed by so many. And they are still doing it even with their last release "To the 5 Burroughs" which is also a great album.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    part of the soundtrack of my junior and senior years in high school......a kickass album by a kickass band.............:D:D
  • Meh... I think it's possibly their weakest album. Paul's Boutique and Ill Communications are bombastic.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Brink wrote:
    Meh... I think it's possibly their weakest album. Paul's Boutique and Ill Communications are bombastic.

It's their weakest in the sense that it was their least experimental and artistic and they were following in the footsteps of Run DMC (who contributed to the album), but it's still a GREAT album!

Paul's Boutique, on the other hand, is a masterpiece.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    While Pauls Boutique was ahead of its time for samples and such, it is not nearly as catchy as the rest of their music.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I was able to catch the Beastie Boys concert/documentory "I F#&%ing Shot That" last weekend. It was great.

I recomend it to anyone who is a fan.

I heard there new album is supposed to feature the boys on there instruments quite a bit more than in the past. Definitely looking forward to it. There instrumental pieces from Check Your Head and Ill Communication are some of my favorites.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Yeah, actually, my brother said they have two albums coming out... one is just all instrumental shit, then another is like an actual album with them rapping and instrumental shit.... I love Ill Communication, Check Your Head, Paul's Boutique... eff man. Even the newer record (To the 5 Boroughs) was sweet... just straight up old school rap with sampling. I didn't think they'd still have this energy in 'em.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Yeah, actually, my brother said they have two albums coming out... one is just all instrumental shit, then another is like an actual album with them rapping and instrumental shit.... I love Ill Communication, Check Your Head, Paul's Boutique... eff man. Even the newer record (To the 5 Boroughs) was sweet... just straight up old school rap with sampling. I didn't think they'd still have this energy in 'em.
    That sounds really cool. I am excited to hear then play instruments.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    cutback wrote:
    part of the soundtrack of my junior and senior years in high school
    same here, we must be the same age! :D can't tell you how many friday and saturday nights i spent running around wreaking havoc with that cassette on full blast

absolutely, beasties are kickass! lookin forward to the new stuff
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    same here, we must be the same age! :D can't tell you how many friday and saturday nights i spent running around wreaking havoc with that cassette on full blast

absolutely, beasties are kickass! lookin forward to the new stuff
    Hell yeah!!!

Bump for this great album!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Paul's Boutique is by far their best.

I also really like their new one. Great album to listen to in the car...very chill.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I was able to catch the Beastie Boys concert/documentory "I F#&%ing Shot That" last weekend. It was great.

I recomend it to anyone who is a fan.

I heard there new album is supposed to feature the boys on there instruments quite a bit more than in the past. Definitely looking forward to it. There instrumental pieces from Check Your Head and Ill Communication are some of my favorites.

I was at that show. It was a good dvd except i couldn't find myself in the background...
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Top 3 greatest rap/hip-hop albums of all time.
    I mean come on; they sample Zep, Dylan, and others on that album...
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    61oraqrvn3lss5001c7efbon4.jpg

THE MIX-UP

1. B For My Name
    2. 14th St. Break
    3. Suco De Tangerina
    4. The Gala Event
    5. Electric Worm
    6. Freaky Hijiki
    7. Off The Grid
    8. The Rat Cage
    9. The Melee
    10. Dramastically Different
    11. The Cousin Of Death
    12. The Kangaroo Rat

You can give a listen to "The Gala Event" here @ The Mix-Up. They'll be here playing a stadium gig at Pimlico in Baltimore.

Peace
    Earle
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    LICENSED TO ILL
    To the 5 Boroughs
    Hello Nasty
    Ill Communication
    Paul's Boutique
    Check Your Head
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • digdougreiddigdougreid Sedalia VA Posts: 10
    Shameless plug here... I got one of my designs listed with cotton bureau and figured this would be a good place to share it considering the topic of discussion. I also realize it's been since 07 since the last comment so not sure if anyone will even see it. It's only active for 3 more days so Check Ch-check it out. https://cottonbureau.com/products/licensed-to-ill-ustrate

Maybe my next one can have a PJ reference and I'll post it in the main art thread. 

98 Greenville | 00 Charlotte | 00 Greensboro | 00 Atlanta | 00 Tampa | 03 Raleigh | 03 Charlotte | 03 Atlanta | 18 Wrigley #2 | 22 Denver
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Sweet design!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    genius!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • digdougreiddigdougreid Sedalia VA Posts: 10
    Thanks, guys!  
    98 Greenville | 00 Charlotte | 00 Greensboro | 00 Atlanta | 00 Tampa | 03 Raleigh | 03 Charlotte | 03 Atlanta | 18 Wrigley #2 | 22 Denver