Options

TRICKY: any opinions?

elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
edited December 2005 in Other Music
.......I am not really into anything hip-hoppy or the like but this guy's got some great music. 'Maxinquaye'??? have 'pre-millenium tension' and vulnerable as well................expect that this board is the wrong place to mention someone such as he but I do come across people who mention snoop doggy dog and that so............................
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tricky is fantastic
  • Options
    eh, tricky is alright, bit of an asshole though. went to see him in concert and he walked offstage because he didn't like "the sound".

evolution revolution love is a great song though
    'sometimes i have everything, yet i wish i felt something'
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 458
    his voice is sexxxy. :)

wow...i forgot about poor old tricky...i'm going to have to dust off some old cds i think.
    i. am. mine.
  • Options
    yeah, i like tricky... "broken homes" with pj harvey is one of my favourites... he always had some great guests on his records...

his "blowback" record was a bit hit and miss though.. did he release anything after that?

i also like massive attack and portishead...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Its not hip-hop, its trip-hop..anyways, get "a ruff guide"...its basically his best of CD, and is a good intro/overview of his stuff. I have his album "blowback" and don't think too much of it, but "a ruff guide" has some great stuff. Also, check out massive attack's "mezzanine"..one of my favourite albums ever, especially in the trip hop style
  • Options
    U-RU-R Posts: 223
    yeah i love tricky. blowback blew indeed, but i spin the rest of his recorded stuff frequently, especially maxenquaye
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Options
    eh, tricky is alright, bit of an asshole though. went to see him in concert and he walked offstage because he didn't like "the sound".

evolution revolution love is a great song though
    ....evolution revolution??? what record is this on? am not altogether familiar with the song titles
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    Its not hip-hop, its trip-hop..anyways, get "a ruff guide"...its basically his best of CD, and is a good intro/overview of his stuff. I have his album "blowback" and don't think too much of it, but "a ruff guide" has some great stuff. Also, check out massive attack's "mezzanine"..one of my favourite albums ever, especially in the trip hop style
    .'mezzanine', this was a record that didnt do anything for me, dont really enjoy the vocalists on massive attack records.Perhaps 'blue lines' is the only one of theirs I liked..........................the problem with getting the ruff guide record is that the best tricky songs are probabaly mainly on maxinquaye anyway---for me him with martina topley bird on vocals was the best---is she on the 'blowback' record??
  • Options
    They call me tricky for a particular reason
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    moloko21moloko21 Posts: 114
    i think he was better with massive attack. mezzanine is a great album.
    "no, i can't give you full credit, but i'm not gonna flunk you either. you're all getting incompletes."
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    elmer wrote:
    .'mezzanine', this was a record that didnt do anything for me, dont really enjoy the vocalists on massive attack records.Perhaps 'blue lines' is the only one of theirs I liked..........................the problem with getting the ruff guide record is that the best tricky songs are probabaly mainly on maxinquaye anyway---for me him with martina topley bird on vocals was the best---is she on the 'blowback' record??

really? I found mezzanine to be fantastic, from start to finish..especially the song "angel"..love that track..I agree that Tricky's best stuff is with Martina topley bird..on blowback, he's got all sort of guests, but I can't recall that she's on it..its got flea, the dude from live, cyndi lauper, alanis morrissette (if I recall correctly)...i dunno, that album just seemed too much of a mishmash of everything and wasn't very cohesive IMO..it does have an interesting cover of Nirvana's "something in the way"..I'll give it that