Options

Dream Theater

Sludge FactorySludge Factory Posts: 976
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Does anyone here like these guys?

An acquaintance borrowed me the first CD from their "Six Degress of Inner Turbulence" set and I loved it. I just picked up their "Train of Thought" album today and so far I like it too. I can't believe I've never heard of these guys before.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options

An acquaintance borrowed me the first CD from their "Six Degress of Inner Turbulence" set and I loved it. I just picked up their "Train of Thought" album today and so far I like it too. I can't believe I've never heard of these guys before.

do yourself a favor and check out images and words, great cd. also Metropolis part 2, its a more chelenging listen but worth it.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736

I have "Train of Thought" and "Images & Words" (bought that one when it came out). Those guys are music snobs, buthtey're allowed to be because they rule at that shit.

I saw them here in the 'natti in '98. I was hoping for some YIELD covers, but sadly there were none. But they did rock. The songs were so long they kind of ran together. But oh, what talent!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Have they played Yield covers before?
  • Options
    they have covered metallica before....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    They are in fact pretty amazing musicians. If they could just ditch the singer they would be awesome! ;)
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170

Im my opinion, "Six Degrees" is where they started to go downhill. "Images and Words," "Awake," and "Metropolis Part II" are all amzing records. "Six Degrees" is pretty good, but I was not a fan of Train of Thought or Octavarium.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    Have they played Yield covers before?

First, learn to spell YIELD correctly. It's YIELD, not Yield. If you spell it Yield no one will know what you are talking about.

:D

Nah, that was just a play on that it was 1998 when I saw DT, and that's the year that YIELD came out.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    coachchris wrote:
    They are in fact pretty amazing musicians. If they could just ditch the singer they would be awesome! ;)

That's exactly my stance.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    First, learn to spell YIELD correctly. It's YIELD, not Yield. If you spell it Yield no one will know what you are talking about.

:D

Nah, that was just a play on that it was 1998 when I saw DT, and that's the year that YIELD came out.

Could you further explain to me why it is YIELD and not Yield?
  • Options
    I'll let YieldInHiding take this one
  • Options
    LaBrie is a very good singer although on the recent DVD he's got basically no stage presence. I think a singer like Maynard James Keenan would really suit this band...save for staying in the dark and all that crap.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    The played here in Chile last week....f*cking awesome!!!
  • Options
    I love dream theater, although it is based on very limited exposure. I only have "Falling into Infinity." What does everyone think about that record?
    You don't need to know everything to believe in something; you only need to know enough.
  • Options
    Could you further explain to me why it is YIELD and not Yield?

YIELD is YIELD because it is the greatest of PJ's albums, in our opinion. So, at least in the YIELD thread, please spell it as YIELD. However, carrying this policy to the rest of the areas of the board is encouraged. Thank you for your support.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Dream Theater is nuts. I saw them live last year at the Meadows in Hartford with Yes. It was annoying though that the singer would leave the stage. There was alot of the band just sitting there and playing. I love Train of Thought, such a great album. I don't have the new one though. They have a cd with two cover medlies that are amazing, one is all Led Zeppelin which includes: The Rover, Achilles Last Stand, and The Song Remains the Same. Another one has Pink Floyd's In the Flesh?, Bohemian Rhapsody, and some others that I can't remember.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    I love dream theater, although it is based on very limited exposure. I only have "Falling into Infinity." What does everyone think about that record?

It's probably the worst representation of them as a band. Not a very good record.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    i can see them here in bangkok in late january...havent listened to them, i sometimes really like prog metal or at least prog rock, and i probably will check the show out, at least because they display impressive musicianship...but i dont have any of their cds.

just rubbing it in the dt fans faces....
    i pledge no allegiance