Options

Stapp gets in fight with band 311

bcsbadboysbcsbadboys Posts: 20
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Sorry if already posted:

Thanksgiving Brawl in Mobtown

11-26-05 - Associated Press

No thanksgiving is complete without turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, or the annual rock star brawl. Where in the past no one was surprised to hear about the Durst-Kid Rock-Bono-James Brown brawls, this year we were treated to the unlikely event of positive vibe merchants vs. the christian right. Baltimore's Hyatt Regency hotel is no stranger to fights or drunk celebrities, and in Baltimore incidents like this happen 100 times an hour and almost never get reported. But this year's incident involving members of the rock band 311 and former Creed front man, Scott Stapp, was particularly nasty and destructive as it involved racism, politics, and a trip to Johns Hopkins University Hospital.

The incident was said to have taken place at around 8:45pm on November 24th at the Hyatt Regency Restaurant and Bar, located in Baltimore's inner harbor. The 5 members of 311, Nick Hexum (vocals), Douglas "SA" Martinez (vocals), Aaron "Pnut" Wills (Bass), Tim Mahoney (guitar) and Chad Sexton (drums), and their wives, girlfriends, managers and road crew, were all sitting near the front entrance of the bar - drinking and enjoying their night off from performing, when a heavily intoxicated Stapp staggered into the lobby of the hotel. Stapp reportedly began shouting at a hotel concierge, demanding that his suite be upgraded without financial penalty as he made several racial remarks to the hispanic concierge.

Overhearing the remarks, Doug Martinez, approached Stapp, asking him to apologize to the concierge. Stapp was stubbornly apologetic, and told the concierge to call up to his room and tell his girlfriend to pack his stuff because they were leaving. Stapp told Martinez to mind his own business, and Martinez obliged and rejoined his group. Stapp's girlfriend then came down into the lobby and began apologizing to the Hyatt Regency staff, as she took Stapp upstairs.

Martinez returned to the bar and as he put it "we started to get a little angry." The members of 311 and their crew, which totaled around 15 people, began a heated discussion about racism, and christian conservative politics. "We are normally very easy going, relaxed people. I don't think any one of us had been in a fist fight for almost 10 years," remarked Hexum. "But at the same time we are very passionate people, and given the right mix of circumstances, will use our physical resources in a hurtful manner."

Scott Stapp and his girlfriend returned to the lobby with their bags about 15 minutes later. On the way out of the hotel, Stapp walked over to the members of 311 and started threatening them, telling Martinez to "mind his own ####### business." Stapps girlfriend was very apologetic and tried to pull Scott towards the exit. At this point the members of 311 were still calm and considerate, asking hotel security to take control of the situation. Stapp was unaware that he was confronting a fellow group of rock stars until his girlfriend, a long time 311 fan, informed him. Stapp, who is set to release his first solo album this year, continued to taunt 311 by labeling them as "post-durst rap ####" and stating that "they better start looking for real jobs." At this point Stapp turned to Martinez and said, "I'll take 2 bags of oranges." Martinez, who is of Mexican descent as is his wife(also present), lunged at Stapp and began punching his stomach and neck. Stapp, who is considerably larger than Martinez, and a trained boxer, was able to ward off Martinez by throwing him over a low table, spilling drinks and shattering glasses. Chad Sexton, the drummer of 311, was in the process of pulling Martinez off of Stapp, when Martinez was thrown to the ground, causing Sexton to stumble as well. Sexton then ran at Stapp, tackling him to the ground, and landed several blows to Stapp's head and neck before being pulled apart by Nick Hexum and Aaron Wills.

Not more than 2 minutes after Hexum and Wills subdued Sexton, did Baltimore's finest appear on the scene. Stapp and Martinez were both taken to Johns Hopkins University Hospital., and Adam Raspler, 311's manager, went with the Police to fill out a formal incident report. Stapp was treated with minor bruises and cuts, and Martinez was treated for a fractured right wrist, said to have been broken in his fall. At time of press no formal charges were brought against Stapp or the members of 311, but according to Raspler - Martinez would be seeking civil action against Stapp for medical bills, and emotional damages.

In a statement set to be issued to the 311 fan club, Hexum describes the incident as "a clash between ego's and Alcohol" and that they all wished Stapp well on his career and hope that they all can learn from this situation and grow to become better people and smarter citizens. AP
St. Paul '03
Grand Rapids '04
Winnipeg, Thunder Bay '05
Grand Rapids, Cleveland, St. Paul 1 & 2 '06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Wow...I just went to post this here (I also saw the story on wwttd.com) but this one's got even more details.

Stapp...what an asshole...311 are probably the most chill dudes in the music industry...I hope this guy and his career are never heard from again once and for all.
    "I hit like Mickey Mantle," Vedder said. "Hung over."
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Wow...I just went to post this here (I also saw the story on wwttd.com) but this one's got even more details.

Stapp...what an asshole...311 are probably the most chill dudes in the music industry...I hope this guy and his career are never heard from again once and for all.
    seriously...Stapp is a blood-sputtering vagina

all4
  • Options
    vedderwoodvedderwood Posts: 2,029
    seriously...Stapp is a blood-sputtering vagina

all4

hahahaha...OMG, this is so f---ing nasty, but pretty damn funny!!! Stapp is a real jackass and seriously needs to grow up and get a life! By the way, was the Hyatt that they said this fight took place near the hotel we were at in b-more? It says it was at the Inner Harbor!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
    PA 10/27, 10/28, 10/30 & 10/31/09
  • Options
    bcsbadboys wrote:
    Sorry if already posted:

No thanksgiving is complete without turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, or the annual rock star brawl. Where in the past no one was surprised to hear about the Durst-Kid Rock-Bono-James Brown brawls, this year we were treated to the unlikely event of positive vibe merchants vs. the christian right. Baltimore's Hyatt Regency hotel is no stranger to fights or drunk celebrities, and in Baltimore incidents like this happen 100 times an hour and almost never get reported. But this year's incident involving members of the rock band 311 and former Creed front man, Scott Stapp, was particularly nasty and destructive as it involved racism, politics, and a trip to Johns Hopkins University Hospital.

The incident was said to have taken place at around 8:45pm on November 24th at the Hyatt Regency Restaurant and Bar, located in Baltimore's inner harbor. The 5 members of 311, Nick Hexum (vocals), Douglas "SA" Martinez (vocals), Aaron "Pnut" Wills (Bass), Tim Mahoney (guitar) and Chad Sexton (drums), and their wives, girlfriends, managers and road crew, were all sitting near the front entrance of the bar - drinking and enjoying their night off from performing, when a heavily intoxicated Stapp staggered into the lobby of the hotel. Stapp reportedly began shouting at a hotel concierge, demanding that his suite be upgraded without financial penalty as he made several racial remarks to the hispanic concierge.

Overhearing the remarks, Doug Martinez, approached Stapp, asking him to apologize to the concierge. Stapp was stubbornly apologetic, and told the concierge to call up to his room and tell his girlfriend to pack his stuff because they were leaving. Stapp told Martinez to mind his own business, and Martinez obliged and rejoined his group. Stapp's girlfriend then came down into the lobby and began apologizing to the Hyatt Regency staff, as she took Stapp upstairs.

Martinez returned to the bar and as he put it "we started to get a little angry." The members of 311 and their crew, which totaled around 15 people, began a heated discussion about racism, and christian conservative politics. "We are normally very easy going, relaxed people. I don't think any one of us had been in a fist fight for almost 10 years," remarked Hexum. "But at the same time we are very passionate people, and given the right mix of circumstances, will use our physical resources in a hurtful manner."

Scott Stapp and his girlfriend returned to the lobby with their bags about 15 minutes later. On the way out of the hotel, Stapp walked over to the members of 311 and started threatening them, telling Martinez to "mind his own ####### business." Stapps girlfriend was very apologetic and tried to pull Scott towards the exit. At this point the members of 311 were still calm and considerate, asking hotel security to take control of the situation. Stapp was unaware that he was confronting a fellow group of rock stars until his girlfriend, a long time 311 fan, informed him. Stapp, who is set to release his first solo album this year, continued to taunt 311 by labeling them as "post-durst rap ####" and stating that "they better start looking for real jobs." At this point Stapp turned to Martinez and said, "I'll take 2 bags of oranges." Martinez, who is of Mexican descent as is his wife(also present), lunged at Stapp and began punching his stomach and neck. Stapp, who is considerably larger than Martinez, and a trained boxer, was able to ward off Martinez by throwing him over a low table, spilling drinks and shattering glasses. Chad Sexton, the drummer of 311, was in the process of pulling Martinez off of Stapp, when Martinez was thrown to the ground, causing Sexton to stumble as well. Sexton then ran at Stapp, tackling him to the ground, and landed several blows to Stapp's head and neck before being pulled apart by Nick Hexum and Aaron Wills.

Not more than 2 minutes after Hexum and Wills subdued Sexton, did Baltimore's finest appear on the scene. Stapp and Martinez were both taken to Johns Hopkins University Hospital., and Adam Raspler, 311's manager, went with the Police to fill out a formal incident report. Stapp was treated with minor bruises and cuts, and Martinez was treated for a fractured right wrist, said to have been broken in his fall. At time of press no formal charges were brought against Stapp or the members of 311, but according to Raspler - Martinez would be seeking civil action against Stapp for medical bills, and emotional damages.

In a statement set to be issued to the 311 fan club, Hexum describes the incident as "a clash between ego's and Alcohol" and that they all wished Stapp well on his career and hope that they all can learn from this situation and grow to become better people and smarter citizens. AP
    wow, Stapp has a girlfriend

all4
  • Options
    vedderwood wrote:
    hahahaha...OMG, this is so f---ing nasty, but pretty damn funny!!! Stapp is a real jackass and seriously needs to grow up and get a life! By the way, was the Hyatt that they said this fight took place near the hotel we were at in b-more? It says it was at the Inner Harbor!
    i know, isnt that cool?!?! Plus, I am surprised Stapp has a girlfriend, but he probably doesnt now :D

all4
  • Options
    i know, isnt that cool?!?! Plus, I am surprised Stapp has a girlfriend, but he probably doesnt now :D

all4

He seriously is such a loser! I used to like Creed when they first came out, but as time went on, I just realized how much of a jackass he is! He is always starting trouble with everyone when he should be focused on making a good record! I can't imagine what woman would be with him! She probably was so embarressed by his stupidity!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
  • Options
    vedderwood wrote:
    He seriously is such a loser! I used to like Creed when they first came out, but as time went on, I just realized how much of a jackass he is! He is always starting trouble with everyone when he should be focused on making a good record! I can't imagine what woman would be with him! She probably was so embarressed by his stupidity!
    if i were a woman, i would use him and take all of his money, but thats just me...But it is ashame cause Creed's guitarist was pretty damn good

all4
  • Options
    if i were a woman, i would use him and take all of his money, but thats just me...But it is ashame cause Creed's guitarist was pretty damn good

all4

He still is pretty good and he's with a better vocalist now. Stapp pretty much already screwed himself here and I can't imagine Wind-Up keeping him for much longer with all these outbursts.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options

all4

Hahaha...I was thinking the same exact thing! I am not materialistic at all (unless it's using my own money), but I would seriously take advantage of his wallet and spend away!!!!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    vedderwood wrote:

vw did you say that you liked Creed???? Ok I guess we are all allowed a few transgressions from time to time... happy that you came to your senses ;)
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    vw did you say that you liked Creed???? Ok I guess we are all allowed a few transgressions from time to time... happy that you came to your senses ;)

hahaha...yeah, back when they first came out I did! And I used to like New Kids On The Block back in the day too!!! But nothing compares to PJ!!!!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    vedderwood wrote:
    hahaha...yeah, back when they first came out I did! And I used to like New Kids On The Block back in the day too!!! But nothing compares to PJ!!!!

Who's PJ??? Don't think I've heard or seen them before :D

I need sleep
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    first of all... what's this bono-james brown altercation mentioned? that sounds interesting!

second, how come the sequence of events here is completely different than the one described in the other article posted on here? what really happened that night? here it says stapp was drunk and obnoxious and 311 went over to talk to him. the other one says he wandered into the bar alone and kept talking to them and bothering them.

what gives?

and creed sucked, scott stapp will always suck, and it's hilarious that our poster christian rock boy is telling 311 that their music career is over! the 311 guy shoulda responded "ill take one wafer and a sip of that wine church-boy."
  • Options
    mkg14mkg14 Posts: 14
    bcsbadboys wrote:
    Sorry if already posted:

THIS IS AWESOME! I HOPE CREED BURNS IN FLAMES!
  • Options
    KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    ok this is the funniest shit ive read on billboard.com..*thanks for the link*

HOW tall are nick and PNUT? 6'3? how tall is stapp?

GO SA!!!! :D:D:D:D *kisses* SA kitty says "MEOW MUTHAFUCKAS! DONT FUCK WITH MY NAMESAKE" :D:D

FUCK THE BULLSHIT ITS TIME TO THROW DOWN!!!

"jealousy is such a BITCH!" :p
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    ..sounds as if stapp has the long road to travel carrying his own bag of oranges...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    i hate stapp as much as anyone here...
    but someone's got to play the devil's advocate... if this article is correct, martinez was the one who physically attacked stapp first... and now he's pressing charges?
    if they started punching him they are idiots as well... why would a musician risk his ability to perform just for a fight with scott stapp... they already had a good story of what a fucking moron he is...
    it's just beyond me why everybody thinks a fist fight is the solution for any kind of argument?
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    i don't hate stapp...i wish him well...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    way to go stapp. he had the balls to stand up to all those dudes alone. stapp would have kicked that beaners ass had it been 1 on 1. i bet that beaner attacked stapp from behind. im suprised the mexican didnt pull a box cutter or knife on stapp.
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Cannabis wrote:
    way to go stapp. he had the balls to stand up to all those dudes alone. stapp would have kicked that beaners ass had it been 1 on 1. i bet that beaner attacked stapp from behind. im suprised the mexican didnt pull a box cutter or knife on stapp.
    Thats pretty fucking racist, you piece of shit...
    And seriously, Stapp was the one that incited the fight. 311 isn't exactly known for their violent record or anything, God forbid they defend themselves after Stapp takes a cheap shot on Chad and bumps SA's wife in the face. Stapp got what was coming...
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    Cannabis wrote:

Wow.....you are ignorant.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    bcsbadboys wrote:

I'm still struggling to understand where Christian conservative politics come into play here.

Anyone?
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Kaddikat wrote:

As someone who has seen 311 perform a couple of times, I find this to be the best comment in the entire thread.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    This has to be a fake article. The entire fight is described blow-by-blow. Give me a break, has any reputable news source ever gone into that kind of detail on a fight? I call bullshit.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    trained boxer?
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • Options
    .. not that i watch much t.v. at all lol howeVer, when i first read it i thought this article sounds to me like it could be an episode on something like south park or one of those shows...~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Kaddikat wrote:
    ok this is the funniest shit ive read on billboard.com..*thanks for the link*

HOW tall are nick and PNUT? 6'3? how tall is stapp?

GO SA!!!! :D:D:D:D *kisses* SA kitty says "MEOW MUTHAFUCKAS! DONT FUCK WITH MY NAMESAKE" :D:D

"jealousy is such a BITCH!" :p

Holy shit! Another 311 fan. Thought I was the only one in here. This whole story is funny. Actually, Nick wasn't there and P-nut didn't do much accept hold Stapp down (as far as I know). It's nice to see the shortest guy knocked him down as he fell with arms wide open.
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Poyndexter wrote:
    Holy shit! Another 311 fan. Thought I was the only one in here. This whole story is funny. Actually, Nick wasn't there and P-nut didn't do much accept hold Stapp down (as far as I know). It's nice to see the shortest guy knocked him down as he fell with arms wide open.
    I'm here too, actually post on the BB (Bomb the Town, say hi sometime).
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    Sonic19 wrote:
    I'm here too, actually post on the BB (Bomb the Town, say hi sometime).

Haha! what's up? I know that name.
  • Options
    U-RU-R Posts: 223
    it's not like i know the guy personally but he does seem to think he's mr. bono young-jagger-geldoff-morrison from all accounts doesn't he?
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up