Low

EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Hey who here has The Great Destroyer? I think it is a pretty sweet album, and probably in my top 10 of the year
printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Echoes wrote:
    Hey who here has The Great Destroyer? I think it is a pretty sweet album, and probably in my top 10 of the year

Been trying to get it for some time, but i've heard is a departure from the previous sound. Heard all kind of comments from fans.
    I would appreciate if you can give me a more extensive comment, just to finally decide and get it.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    what I said about them on another forum :
    I'll be honest, I don't know very much about them. I am just listening to their latest, the Great Destroyer right now. I am enjoying it. It is relaxing rock, that reminds me off Alice in Chains type grunge when it comes to song structure, but is obviously not as tired or overused as the grunge genre. It has smoother guitar tone, and sounds to be a borderline shoegaze/rock hybrid. The guitar gently waltzes on the breeze, whilst the vocals convey a bored intensity.

Very smooth, very enjoyable. I would almost recommend this as an album to check out before delving into more sound oriented genres of shoegazer, as the vocals are still very clear and less another instrument. "Silver Rider" is currently my favourite tune on the CD, has some great lyrics, as the texans explore an oddly content world of acceptance and longing.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    BUMP!!!!!
    This album just deserves it, just got it the last week, and after listening with attention over the weekend, this could easily be the album of the year, great songs from a unique band at the peak of their creativity.
    The Great Destroyer deserves props from everybody.
    Go and get this album NOW if you know what's good for you.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• LOW is really top shelf stuff. they pretty much stayed in their own little area for awhile, extremely mellow slo-mo kinda thing, but they really stretched out with "great destroyer". you could start there and get the general idea of the band. then retreat to their first album, the utterly fucking devestating "i could live in hope"... a masterpiece of downer beauty. then dig into "the curtain hits the cast" and be blown out yet again as you lay back and let their sound wash over you. damn. low is fucking good stuff. money back guarentee.

http://www.chairkickers.com
  • I have been meaning to get some stuff from this band for awhile. I was curious about them and awhile back I downloaded a few shows to sort of get a feeling what they were all about, and needless to say I was pretty impressed.

For some of you big fans, what order should I go about getting their CDs in?
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    Echoes wrote:

agree. great album. mos def one of the best of 2005
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    i like pretty much of this album

its gonna be part of my top 20, for sure
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • i have 2 of their cds (things we lost in the fire and Trust) and i love trust, its great stuff. i really want their debut though, it sounds really good.
    i pledge no allegiance
    I have been meaning to get some stuff from this band for awhile. I was curious about them and awhile back I downloaded a few shows to sort of get a feeling what they were all about, and needless to say I was pretty impressed.

For some of you big fans, what order should I go about getting their CDs in?

I don't have all their albums, but Things We Lost in the Fire and Trust could be a good place to start with. Their recording with The Dirty Three (In the Fishtank) is also pretty interesting and actually it was my introduction to the band (over a year ago). Also a coworker has an album of rarities and b-sides which also turns to be quite good, it includes the definitive version of the Bee Gees' "I Started a Joke".
    A band definitely worth to explore.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• StellyStelly Posts: 170
    Anybody seen Low live? There cominn here in February, and was wondering what to expect.

Thanks!
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Oooo ... I like this band. I have a couple of their songs on a mix I made, and I have to say that their my favorite on the CD.

I guess I should do something about getting that album. ;)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    The Great Destroyer rules. Top 5 for the year!

Things We Lost in the Fire rules.

This band slays!
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • The Great Destroyer is in my top 10, maybe in my top 5 of 2005, i was surprise since i didn't know Low before buying The Great Destroyer, great album.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    it is indeed a grat album

in my top 20 list
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • Stelly wrote:
    Anybody seen Low live? There cominn here in February, and was wondering what to expect.

Thanks!
    saw them in april, dont go tired, or else you will fall asleep, music moves very slow and is very relaxing/ hypnotizing same kind of effect as sigur ros. From what i remember the drum kit is a horizontal kick drum and a snare and thats it.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg