Options

Will Hetfield stop ruining Metallica?

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
edited December 2005 in Other Music
The downward spiral started with Load/Reload and hopefully hit its end with St. Anger. What I mean is, James Hetfield's overindulgent vocals have ruined Metallica. A few oooohs and yeah-has are fine, but he throws them in everywhere.

I was just listening to the new Garage Days, disc 1 (with Turn the Page, etc.), and Hetfield's vocals on the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song Loverman made me physically ill. I still haven't heard the Nick Cave original, and it sounds like it should be a good song, so I need to hear it soon just to get Hetfield's version out of my system. Even on a straightforward song like the Misfits' Die Die My Darling, he can't help but overaccentuate every fucking vowel.

And then St. Anger comes along, and there are some kickass moments on it, but Hetfield's lyrics and vocals are just completely assinine throughout. And for fuck's sake, let Kirk Hammet play - he's been the only saving grace of the band from '96 on.

Dammit, they were genius right up thru to the Black Album. And they've shown they've had some brilliant musical ideas since then, and so I hope the failure of St. Anger has humbled James Hetfield enough for him to bring his voice back down to earth, because it was the blistering, crunching jams and fierce, but steady vocals that made that band soar.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the downward spiral started with the black album IMO.

used to be my favorite band, but now only occassionally do i throw on some ride the lightning, puppets, or justice and rock the fuck out.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    the sad thing is that st. anger sold like 25 million copies so now they're encouraged to keep making that bullshit. i partially blame myself for buying it the first week it came out...but honestly, no one could have expected how crappy that album would be. i've just gotten used to the fact that metallica will never be the same and i can only listen to their older albums

put in some lamb of god and be reminded of how good metal can still be
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Kenny Olav wrote:

I was just listening to the new Garage Days, disc 1 (with Turn the Page, etc.), and Hetfield's vocals on the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song Loverman made me physically ill. I still haven't heard the Nick Cave original, and it sounds like it should be a good song, so I need to hear it soon just to get Hetfield's version out of my system.

The original Loverman by Cave just kicks ass, is an upbeat rollercoster of energy, lust and passion... and I don't think it has a single "yeah" on it... In fact it's out of one of Cave's best albums, Let Love In, I suggest you rush to the record store and get it, you shouldn't be disapointed.

Concerning Metallica I totally gave up on them after the Black album.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    i am in now way a huge fan of Metallica , i like a few songs here and there , i own no albums, but after i saw Some Kind Of Monster, i hate them , i dont know who in their right minds thought of releasing that trainwreck to the public, but he should be shot
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Dammit, they were genius right up thru to the Black Album.
    I completly agree, and didn't listen to anything after black either.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    the sad thing is that st. anger sold like 25 million copies
    I doubt that 25 million copies of St. Anger were sold, The Black Album maybe. 2.5 million copies is probably more accurate. 25 million copies is something like what "Thriller" has sold in 20+ years.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    i liked load and reload, but st.anger was pure crap. i only heard 2 song off it and that was enough. i wouldnt take that album if it was free.
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I recently snagged the vinyl set of their stuff that goes from Kill 'em All thru ...Justice (includes garage revisisited ep and creeping death picture disc). That's all the Metallica I can take -- and I love it! As good as ...Justice is, it still pisses me off that they pretty much mixed Newstead's bass right out of the whole album. If you ask me, that was the beginning of the end right there. There are better ways to pay homage to Cliff Burton than that.

And yeah, Some Kind of Monster dvd is a real laugh.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    U-RU-R Posts: 223
    if there's any band in the world that could sell anything at all en masse just because it's cover has their name on it, it's metallica. they know this, we all know this, and further more we all know they've lost the plot musically, which begs the question "why do people still buy this shit?"

st. anger was a joke, the lyrics/vocals sounded like they were written and recorded in one afternoon and whoever engineered that album, especially the drums, needs to be taken out and shot.

i can't say the lack of guitar solos was such a bad idea though really. think about it, does kirk hammet really have anything left to prove?? i'd say not
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    U-R wrote:
    if there's any band in the world that could sell anything at all en masse just because it's cover has their name on it, it's metallica.

What about Kiss?
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    U-RU-R Posts: 223
    dirt wrote:
    What about Kiss?

yeah good point. i guess the difference is that kiss were always a blatant cash-hoard from day one, whereas there was a time when metallica were probably the greatest band in the world
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Options
    i saw metallica twice on the st. anger tour, once in toronto and once in dublin. they still put on an amazing live show. they played only two songs off st. anger at the shows, opening with battery, master of puppets, harvester of sorrow, and sanitarium...so it was good to hear most of the old stuff at those shows. i saw them on the justice tour and the black tour as well, and those were incredible shows too. personally, i liked a few songs off load and reload, and a few on st. anger, but it's nothing like cover to cover kick ass songs like it used to be. there wasn't a song that sucked up until the black album...and that was enter sandman. i really don't like that song. for me, i see a direct correlation between the band's decline and the introduction of bob rock as producer. i don't want them to make carbon copies of puppets or kill 'em all, but i don't think bob rock really gets it. i wonder what would happen if they got rid of him? would we hear some classic metallica? some better metallica? it would be interesting to see what we would get if bob rock got lost...
  • Options
    Reload and Load are my Fav Metaliica albums, i too brought st anger, it sits on my shelf after one play and havent touched it again i want my $35 back for that CD!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    i see a direct correlation between the band's decline and the introduction of bob rock as producer. i don't want them to make carbon copies of puppets or kill 'em all, but i don't think bob rock really gets it. i wonder what would happen if they got rid of him? would we hear some classic metallica? some better metallica? it would be interesting to see what we would get if bob rock got lost...

I would agree, and have heard this argument from a lot of people. I think that there was an online petition going around not that long ago petitioning the band to drop Rock as their producer. I haven't heard too much about it in a while though. It could also be argued that when the band lost Cliff, they lost their direction. Of course, maybe it is a combo of the two variables....

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. I haven't heard metal like L.O.G. in a LONG time!!!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    well i think it started to go worse at the black album as others have said...

that being said i still enjoy load and reload, granted i dont play them much but i still think they are good albums, not fantastic as the first 4 from the metallica catalogue but they are good. black is somewhere in between those for me. then st anger - not a great album at all, but i listen to it here n there. its better than a lot of stuff out there.

one thing though is that i dont blame hetfields vocals for their decline - if nething it would be bob rock.. but im not gonna give up on them - and they are my favourite live act i have seen close with ACDC. plus the solos that were added to the st anger songs made them sound a lot better to me.

nehow i love metallica, my second fave band after pearl jam id say. i hope they stick around id love to see them live yet again.
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    The downward spiral started with Load/Reload and hopefully hit its end with St. Anger. What I mean is, James Hetfield's overindulgent vocals have ruined Metallica. A few oooohs and yeah-has are fine, but he throws them in everywhere.

I was just listening to the new Garage Days, disc 1 (with Turn the Page, etc.), and Hetfield's vocals on the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song Loverman made me physically ill. I still haven't heard the Nick Cave original, and it sounds like it should be a good song, so I need to hear it soon just to get Hetfield's version out of my system. Even on a straightforward song like the Misfits' Die Die My Darling, he can't help but overaccentuate every fucking vowel.

And then St. Anger comes along, and there are some kickass moments on it, but Hetfield's lyrics and vocals are just completely assinine throughout. And for fuck's sake, let Kirk Hammet play - he's been the only saving grace of the band from '96 on.

Dammit, they were genius right up thru to the Black Album. And they've shown they've had some brilliant musical ideas since then, and so I hope the failure of St. Anger has humbled James Hetfield enough for him to bring his voice back down to earth, because it was the blistering, crunching jams and fierce, but steady vocals that made that band soar.

ummm yeah but you forgot one thing... Like it or not Cliff Burton was the guiding force of that band... since since he was the bass player (traditionally not a leadership role).... When cliff passed away they kind of solidered on through "and justice for all..." with music that sounded like the music of the old metallica. I still argu that that was a lot of left over riffs reworked and the new songs for that album were written with the old metallica vibe.

however when they moved on from that album... now it was a different game...

it doesn't matter who writes the songs it matters how it was interperted (sp?). your different is/was cliff. that's when they changed. they became a different band. deal with it. it's never going back.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    The first 2 were the best.Cliff Burton was the man,and yes now they do stink...sorry They used to be my fav band in the whole world but it just seemed to get worse and worse.However at there peak..they played one hell of a live show...
    "What could be better than a beer with Eddie Vedder"-Magic hat bottle cap
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I doubt that 25 million copies of St. Anger were sold, The Black Album maybe. 2.5 million copies is probably more accurate. 25 million copies is something like what "Thriller" has sold in 20+ years.

yeah, i know. i was just using 25 as an exaggeration. i think it sold somewhere around 5 or 6 which is still huge for an aging band like metallica
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:

i totally get what you are on about with Hetfields vox!Its really annoying to me too!!!I wish he'd just roar again like he used to.................
    Cornell pwns u
  • Options
    they have to allow kirk hammit to play solos again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    yeah, i know. i was just using 25 as an exaggeration. i think it sold somewhere around 5 or 6 which is still huge for an aging band like metallica

the Black album has sold about 11 million in the US if not more, so proly about 25 world wide 'cause ofcourse metallica is huge everywhere so maybe it wasnt an exageration.
  • Options
    Reload and Load are my Fav Metaliica albums, i too brought st anger, it sits on my shelf after one play and havent touched it again i want my $35 back for that CD!

$35?!??!!?!? wow you did get ripped off....i got mine for $15
  • Options
    Just rember that James can only work from Noon untill 4pm and then knowbody can work on the project unless James is there.What a fucking joke!
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    put a fork in 'em, they're done....
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    my brother used to be the biggest metallica fan growing up. he even snuck out once to go see them. he's said pretty much the same thing...everythingfrom load sucks and how he was hoping for so much for st anger but it sucked, too. he even brought up the wooooo-ooohhh's and yeah-ha's!
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    tybird wrote:

it is about 25 million worlwide went to number 1 in 32 diffrent countries on its first week of release
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    I whole heartedly agree with this statement. I haven't heard metal like L.O.G. in a LONG time!!!

I have to be honest I think Lamb Of God suck more ass than most, they are shit, really really shit. You want Metal, listen to Superjoint Ritual or Mastadon.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    watching "some kind of monster" was an eye-opener and it was really funny (in a really sad) way to see kirk as the only sane one in the band and behaving like some spoilt brat. their music is fantastic (black, load and re-load included) and some of the best metal (with a slight progressive edge) comes from metallica. that said i wish hetfield and ulrich would get over themselves.....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Options
    the sad thing is that st. anger sold like 25 million copies so now they're encouraged to keep making that bullshit. i partially blame myself for buying it the first week it came out...but honestly, no one could have expected how crappy that album would be. i've just gotten used to the fact that metallica will never be the same and i can only listen to their older albums

i agree that album was !BAD! i think the problem with metallica nowadays, is that they just think they're so much better than everyone else, when really, they are far from it
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • Options
    I think the last nail in the coffin was when that deushebag record producer with the slick pony tail, Bob Rock, got his hooks in the band. Their last great record IMO was "And Justice for All".