Options

My Dog Sasha

DarbyCrashDarbyCrash Posts: 223
edited January 2008 in The Porch
It hurts so much to write this but it also makes me feel better to talk about it.

My husband and I are putting our 16 yr. old English Mastiff to sleep tomorrow afternoon.

After a long illness, it is time to end the pain.

Sasha has been THE best dog anyone could ever ask for.

My husband found her in Indianapolis on the side of the road after she was hit by a car. She was 9 mos old. Her owners didn't want her anymore so just tossed her out of a moving van. He took her to the vet and it was suggested she be put down immediately due to the nature of her wounds. (her hip was broken, her tail was broken and she had many cuts and bruises).

He decided to keep her and paid for the vet bills.

They have been the best of friends ever since. She is his protector and gaurdian angel.

Mastiff dogs usually live to around 6 or 8 years old...she has well surpassed that mark. Just recently she took a turn for the worse and we cannot watch her decline any further...this is best.

This afternoon, I had her on the couch, covered up with a warm blanket (it was 1 degree outside in Chicago today with a -20 wind chill). I put on Live At Benaroya Hall softly and she drifted off to sleep around Thin Air...we have always felt that Sasha LOVES to fall asleep while listening to music, she always seems more at peace than without it. I started sobbing and she sort of looked up at me, put a paw on my leg and had this expression that said "It's ok."

Just thought I would share a story about the best dog ever.

Tomorrow we take her in. It will be so hard.
I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    *hugs*

Im so sorry to hear this :( I understand your pain COMPLETELY. You know you are doing the right thing, but that will not make it an easier. Sadly, our k9 family only spends a short time with us .... Love and peace to you guys tomorrow... Please feel free to talk about it ALL you want.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    I am SO sorry to hear this...losing a dog is like losing your soul, and you don't think you'll ever get it back...we put our 16-year-old terrier pooch down almost two years ago, and sometimes it feels like it was yesterday.

But take comfort (when your are able to take comfort) in the idea that you gave your dog a wonderful life, the best possible life...and she's telling you that it's time to go.

I won't kid you - it is plain AWFUL putting a dog to sleep and the pain in your heart won't go away for a long time...but you won't ever forget your Sasha....she will always be in your thoughts..and you won't get over the loss, you'll just get used to her not being around. Remember to give yourself some time to go through the grieving process...

You WILL be okay...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Thank you, both of you. I really mean it.

• Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    So sorry to hear about this... But smile and know she will be waiting for you.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    It hurts so much to write this but it also makes me feel better to talk about it.

My husband and I are putting our 16 yr. old English Mastiff to sleep tomorrow afternoon.

After a long illness, it is time to end the pain.

Sasha has been THE best dog anyone could ever ask for.

My husband found her in Indianapolis on the side of the road after she was hit by a car. She was 9 mos old. Her owners didn't want her anymore so just tossed her out of a moving van. He took her to the vet and it was suggested she be put down immediately due to the nature of her wounds. (her hip was broken, her tail was broken and she had many cuts and bruises).

He decided to keep her and paid for the vet bills.

They have been the best of friends ever since. She is his protector and gaurdian angel.

Mastiff dogs usually live to around 6 or 8 years old...she has well surpassed that mark. Just recently she took a turn for the worse and we cannot watch her decline any further...this is best.

This afternoon, I had her on the couch, covered up with a warm blanket (it was 1 degree outside in Chicago today with a -20 wind chill). I put on Live At Benaroya Hall softly and she drifted off to sleep around Thin Air...we have always felt that Sasha LOVES to fall asleep while listening to music, she always seems more at peace than without it. I started sobbing and she sort of looked up at me, put a paw on my leg and had this expression that said "It's ok."

Just thought I would share a story about the best dog ever.

Tomorrow we take her in. It will be so hard.
    I am so sorry. :( My mom made the decision to put one of the dogs to sleep right before they moved. It was so hard on me. I'm still a little pissed about it because of the way my parents just up and decided to do this, but my mom made ME be the one to take the dog in to the vet. I made the decision to stay with the dog while they put her down. So I was with her until the very end holding her in my arms. I stayed in the room for 20 minutes just thinking about the awesome times I had with that dog. I'm so glad I stayed with her as hard as it was cause I honestly felt that I may feel regret, if I didn't stay, and I am so happy I stayed with her. I have no regret at all. The dog was just so thin and frail, and couldn't get up and down the stairs, so it really was the best thing to do. She was 16 too, and just a mix that we never really found out what she was. The best way to describe her look is a Rhodesian ridge back without the ridge in the fur and a little smaller in size.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    oh my goodness...

my heart goes out to you. What a lucky girl she is to have lived her life with you guys... you sound like you are wonderful to her. 16 years is amazing for a dog. It will be extremely hard. I went through it with my 18 year old family cat. But think of the good times.

Best of luck to you. Just remember you are doing it all for the right reasons.

::::hugs::::
  • Options
    im so sorry... it wasnt long ago i had to do the same with my dog... i cant think of a harder thing in the world... it gets easier tho... just stay strong and remember all the good times you had together
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    so sad and so sorry; just had to make the same decision a few months ago, and I lost the greatest love of my life. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
    A mind full of questions, and a teacher in my soul
    And so it goes...
  • Options
    Wow, thanks you guys...just reading these and knowing others have gone through it makes me feel a ton better.

She is at my feet right now, looking up at me. : )

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Many people don't understand that losing a pet equates to losing a child for some people. May you always have wonderful memories of your angel.
    " When you want more than you have
    You think you need
    And when you think more than you want
    Your thoughts begin to bleed."
    E.V. Society

"And by the way, their real and their spectacular!"
  • Options
    Had to put one of my dogs down 2 years ago and it still hurts. 16 years is quite old for a dog and you gave her a great life. At the same time she enriched your lives greatly.

My other dog is 11 and I know the day will come when she too passes and I will be just as hurt as I was two years ago.

If they could live forever that would be ideal, but it is still better to have those wonderful years w/ them.

Don't listen to Light Years or Come Back for a while. It still makes me cry.
  • Options
    It's shit. Especially on the "last night". You can't bear the thought of what's to come. The last time I had to do it was 10 years ago, and I held her while the vet did it. One of the hardest days of my life.
    You can take comfort that she won't suffer anymore, but you can also be proud of your dog, as she did real good and made it to an age that most dogs don't make it to -- in spite of abandonment, injuries, and breed lifespan. Congrats to you for a job well done and giving your dog a good life.
    Best wishes to you. Pat your dog for us.
  • Options

• Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Smellyman wrote:

Don't listen to Light Years or Come Back for a while. It still makes me cry.

I couldn't listen to "Black" for the longest time...the aching loss in that song echoed my own heartache...and actually, I still avoid the studio version sometimes because of the pain it evokes...

Anyway, yeah...Jango is right on the money - be proud of your pooch for overcoming adversity and that she was capable of trusting and loving people again...

Oh my gosh! Look at that photo...she looks like such a sweetheart....and now I'm bawling for you and for her... That hit me where it hurts most....
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Yeah, Come Back was almost played on my iTunes just now and I immediately skipped over it. Thanks for the reminder.

• Options
    I couldn't listen to "Black" for the longest time...the aching loss in that song echoed my own heartache...and actually, I still avoid the studio version sometimes because of the pain it evokes...

Anyway, yeah...Jango is right on the money - be proud of your pooch for overcoming adversity and that she was capable of trusting and loving people again...

Oh my gosh! Look at that photo...she looks like such a sweetheart....and now I'm bawling for you and for her... That hit me where it hurts most....

You brought up a good point...My husband always pointed out that he was proud of her for that too (trusting and loving people again).

• Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I felt really sad reading this entire thread and made me want to hug my dog, but the picture made my eyes water a little. Best of luck to both of you.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,750
    This just sucks. I hate to hear it. I'm dreading the day I might have to make The Drive with one of my dogs.

I honestly don't think I could do it.

a heartfelt good luck to you.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Darby, I'm so sorry.

Sasha looks and sounds like the best of creatures. I'll be thinking of you all.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    ardyardy Posts: 53
    i was in your shoes about 7 years ago. we ended our golden retriever's pain from cancer when she was only 5 years old. the hardest decision to make - but the right decision. when we took her in, i made sure that i held her head in my hands and was nose-to-nose with her, talking to her, the whole time, because the last face i wanted her to see was the one who loved her so very much. i felt it was the least i could do for all the love she had given me.

you will always remember this, but i swear dogs know that you're grieving and you're hurting and as hard as this is, they know it's right.

i'll have a special thought for you tomorrow.
    "Can I ask you a question?" (.....you just did.....)
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    So sorry about Sasha. I lost my cat of 8 years last xmas...as he was hit by a car. I still have great memories of him and the way he always greeted me at the door whenever I got home from work.

She'll always be in your heart.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss :(
    You're both in my thoughts today.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    Put my Wheaten down nine years ago now, still miss her. Mom still cries sometimes, never been able to get another dog since. Sasha looks like a sweetie. Take comfort knowing she'll be carefree and free of pain, and able to run forever in her next destination.

And take comfort in knowing that you will meet up with her again, someday, perhaps sixty, seventy, eighty years from now. A long time perhaps, but you will meet with her spirit again, I'm sure.

Great picture of Sasha. Just let her know she is safe during the procedure by touching and talking to her, I think that is reassuring for the dog.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking about you guys today and I'll say a prayer for Sasha for her journey.

Peace to you and your husband, Darby.
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    this thread hurts. :( im not one for attention so those who know me, know why it hurts. *sigh* hug sasha as much as u can today.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    I am sorry. When I was nine we had to have my families Black Lab put to sleep. That day my brother came home from college with a Golden Retriever Puppy that was 6 weeks old. 13 years later to the day, when I was in college, I had to make the call to have her put to sleep. It was one of the hardest things to do, But I know she didn't hurt anymore more.

I didn't think it was right to get another dog. Nothing could replace my friend. However, My family now has an 8 month old Golden. It is fun all over again. Making that relationship between "dog" and "man". You might not be ready at first, but it would help very much down the line.

My heart goes out to you and your family.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    i had to watch my 15 year old dachsund (who hated my guyts) to sleep. It was one of the hardest and saddest days ever. Now I have a Boston Terrier and we are best buddies..I am dreading "that day". I feel for you and I will even pray for yours.
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I'm very sorry you're going through this. But at the same time I'm happy for you that Sasha has been in your life such a long time, especially given the way she came to you.

It's a tough call to make, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing. I've had to do it twice and it's still tough to think about it.

The first time I stayed for the whole process, but the second time my vet made a suggestion that I'll pass along - be there for the sedative, but leave when she falls asleep. That way you know that she is at peace at the end, but you don't witness the actual event. It helped me, if only a little.

Prayers sent to you at this difficult time.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the sweet replies...made me feel at least a little better. I am about to make Sasha a steak...she loves them.

Again, I appreciate this forum and all of the wonderful, caring people in it. Thanks. From both me and Sasha.

• Options
    Aw, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to go through that. We put our 16-year-old golden retriever to sleep a couple years ago, and even though we knew it was best for her, it was really tough. Just remember all the good memories, and know how lucky she was to have been blessed by coming into your family, who obviously loved and cared for her very much. Know how grateful she was to be welcomed into a home that was good to her. Dogs understand. She understands that it's time and that you guys love her. They know much more than we think they do. She knows that you guys are sad and that this needs to happen. Enjoy your last moments together, and be thankful for the 15+ years you spent together. She was obviously a very happy dog if she lived this long.

By the way, the picture of her is adorable.
  • Options
    oh my gosh.... your story is ripping me up.

She was so lucky that you found her and loved her, and you were so lucky that she found you and loved you :)

I cannot imagine how you are feeling right now, but I know your story made a cry baby out of me. If anything happened to my beloved Dogs I would be a freakin mess!

I dont really know what to say to you both.
    I hope that when she drifts off and heads towards the rainbow bridge, that you both feel comfort knowing she is goin to have some fun there with her Furry friends, and that she will never forget you, because dogs love you unconditionally, always.
    he who forgets will be destined to remember