Options

Flaming Lips

oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Caught the Flaming Lips at Wakarusa last night. I've never seen anything like it. What a SHOW!

The show started well after dark, great atomosphere with a bit of lightning to the east.

Coyne started the show with his Space Ball walk, and he had a psychedellic mic camera, costumed dancers on each side of the stage, constant streamers and confetti and all colors of smoke and excellent music.

At one point, he encouraged the crowd to throw glow sticks at the stage. And the crowd did just that!! hundreds of glow sticks flying at the stage!!

Highlight of the show was Bohemian Rhapsody. AWESOME!

If you ever get a chance, go see The Flaming Lips. :)
Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
As she slams the door in his drunken face
And now he stands outside
And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
And his tears fall and burn the garden green
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    olderman wrote:
    Caught the Flaming Lips at Wakarusa last night. I've never seen anything like it. What a SHOW!

The show started well after dark, great atomosphere with a bit of lightning to the east.

Coyne started the show with his Space Ball walk, and he had a psychedellic mic camera, costumed dancers on each side of the stage, constant streamers and confetti and all colors of smoke and excellent music.

At one point, he encouraged the crowd to throw glow sticks at the stage. And the crowd did just that!! hundreds of glow sticks flying at the stage!!

Highlight of the show was Bohemian Rhapsody. AWESOME!

If you ever get a chance, go see The Flaming Lips. :)

Awesome i saw them forthe first time a few weeks ago. Coyne really connects well with the crowd. Did they do the cover of War Pigs too? I thought that was awesome as well.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    USCJeffUSCJeff Posts: 92
    Awesome! I am seeing them this summer at the Hollywood Bowl
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    intodeep wrote:
    Awesome i saw them forthe first time a few weeks ago. Coyne really connects well with the crowd. Did they do the cover of War Pigs too? I thought that was awesome as well.

no war pigs (that i recall, but that song is not easily forgotten)

btw, the dancers on stage right were costumed as aliens and the dancers on stage left were costumed as santa claus. and those dancers absolutely ROCKED to every number!

again, this is the craziest party that could ever be
    don't turn out the lights cuz i wanna see

(momma told me not to come :D )
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    They are playing as part of the Southern Comfort Music Experience at Festival Pier, Penn's Landing, Philly on July 16. De La Soul is also on the bill. The Lips close the show. Oh ... I forgot the best part ... it's free.
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    For San Diegans, theres a (relatively) free Lips show coming up July 21, up at Del Mar after the horses:

http://www.dmtc.com/season/events/index.php?day=2006-07-21

Not a bad lineup all season long really, the Lips, Violent Femmes, Alice in Chains, and I've heard good things about Louis XIV too. Only $10 to get in from the looks of it.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Although I would love to see them, and would jump on tickets if they came near me, I am a little put off by how much of their shows are on tape. It is all a big show to them and they are more concerned with being visually interesting than standing up there and playing great versions of their song.

They just have a different view of things than most bands I guess. I'm sure their shows are a blast, all video I have seen is great.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    CM1847 wrote:
    Although I would love to see them, and would jump on tickets if they came near me, I am a little put off by how much of their shows are on tape. It is all a big show to them and they are more concerned with being visually interesting than standing up there and playing great versions of their song.

I'm a big fan of bands changing up their sets, and not standing up there and doing the same thing night after night, but the Lips get a free pass in my book. The music is 1/2 the experience of a Lips show. The audience interaction is what really makes it the event. The videos, confetti, balloons, santas/aliens, etc are all there to involve everyone in the event, and make it fun, even though the music can have extremely heavy themes. And Wayne totally gets into it, and tries to involve everyone as best he can. You're right, it's as much visual as it is musical, but they pull it off well and mean it sincerely.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    PJ fans who are into the flaming lips are ok by me! I saw them at the big day out in 2004 not knowing much about them but it was either seeing them or Metallica... So I went along and it changed my music listening forever it was the best live music experience of my life. I dare anyone who has seen them live say it wasnt their most enjoyable gig ever (and I've seen PJ, White Stripes, Kings of leon, black keys, ben harper, franz, iggy pop, strokes, muse, REM etc.).
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    I'm seeing them in August with Sonic Youth :D

Should be a helluva show!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Saw the Flaming Lips in Indy last night.  Great fucking show....highly recommend catching them if you get the opportunity.

The opener was some absolute shitface named Mac Demarco.  That was the most ridiculous performance I've ever seen.  I can't believe the Lips have that guy with them.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville