U2 - Ottawa - I'm ticketless - should I go anyway?

JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
edited November 2005 in Other Music
Do you think I can buy a legit ticket from someone outside? Never done this before. (I have my PJ ticket from the same company so I can compare the tickets to see if it looks legit)
R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DO NOT, even if you have a ticket, DO NOT
  • that depends...

do you have a thousand dollars..?

i think that's what their tickets cost nowadays isn't it...?

bah.

fuck them, they're too damn conceited. i'd love to have a world wide boycott of U2 until they ground themselves... but that will never happen.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I think you'd have a better chance in Montreal trying to get tickets..
    They are playing back to back nights there..
    Wish I could go to see Arcade Fire open especially in Montreal in their hometown
    Master of Zen
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    DO NOT, even if you have a ticket, DO NOT

Heh I expected a few answers like that lol. I wouldn't follow them like PJ, but I'd like to see them once though.

and no i don't have thousands of dollars. I'm leaning toward not. Wondering if I'd have a better chance in Montreal tomorrow. The website hasn't released ANY tickets, and I've been checking all day.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I like their opening act, Institute with Gavin Rossdale.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Heh I expected a few answers like that lol. I wouldn't follow them like PJ, but I'd like to see them once though.

and no i don't have thousands of dollars. I'm leaning toward not. Wondering if I'd have a better chance in Montreal tomorrow. The website hasn't released ANY tickets, and I've been checking all day.

The local rock station here "The Bear" has been having a bunch of contest to give away tickets..I think they had like 50 to give out
    Master of Zen
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Do you think I can buy a legit ticket from someone outside? Never done this before. (I have my PJ ticket from the same company so I can compare the tickets to see if it looks legit)

Or you can come to Ottawa and try to get tickets and if not I'll take you on the town and we'll have some beers !!... LOL
    Master of Zen
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    i'd love to have a world wide boycott of U2 until they ground themselves... but that will never happen.

If you want to start it now count me in (a former U2 fan now completely rehabilitated.)
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I always thought I'd take a picture of the scalper I bought a ticket from.
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I like their opening act, Institute with Gavin Rossdale.

Actually for Ottawa and both Montreal shows int's the Montreal band "Arcade Fire" opening...
    Master of Zen
  • Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    I am not certain how far it is, but I guess if you REALLY want to see them, go, so long as you are prepared to spend whatever the people on the street will charge. If you are going to go far, don't just turn around without getting in.

If you have the cash, are willing to part with it and want to see the band that bad, then you have to decide...

But if you are only going to be willing to spend some flat amount and will turn around and go home, I'd just stay home.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    It's probably too late at this point, but if you stand in line early enough at the venue for day of show tickets, you should have a good shot. And if not succesful, then scalp one. You should be alright. They are expensive though. Not because the band makes them that way, it is because they sell out so damn fast because they play good music, put on a great show, and have millions of fans.

To all the U2 haters, go drive off a cliff. Pearl Jam's tickets are what, $55 a show? Have you seen the stage setup that U2 has? Have you seen the amount of people needed to operate it? The number of trucks sitting outside the venue. There are probably as many people that sit on top of the stage manning just the lights for U2 than Pearl Jam crew members. And yet, U2's tickets are $50 for general admission, and then $120 for club seats. Let go of the jealousy folks. Number one rock band in the world...U2. My favorite band...Pearl Jam.
  • it's not really the ticket prices that make me talk about U2 in such a way... its the way Bono handles himself... he thinks he's a fucking god.

and Pearl Jam tickets should fall back towards the 20's when they go on the main US tour.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    it's not really the ticket prices that make me talk about U2 in such a way... its the way Bono handles himself... he thinks he's a fucking god.

and Pearl Jam tickets should fall back towards the 20's when they go on the main US tour.

Even Bono admits he's conceited. I just love their music, and if there is anyone in the world of rock that deserves to act like Bono, it is Bono. Part of being the way he is what allows him to get his foot in the door of the White House and whatever building Tony Blair works in. If Bono acted the way he does while at the same time not doing anything to better the world, then I'd say he is a tool. But he brings about change, and it's the attitude about himself that allows him to come up with huge goals like ending world poverty. The One.Campaign, G8 Concerts, getting countries to cancel third-world debts, it's all part of it. I for one am not against promoting your band. As long as you continue to put out good music, then promote away. I've said it a million times here, if Pearl Jam could handle fame like U2, then they might do the same thing. But they can't, and therefore you don't see music videos or tv appearances.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    i was going to start again with our little U2 debate Bootlegger but i cant be arsed tonight:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    i was going to start again with our little U2 debate Bootlegger but i cant be arsed tonight:D

Ha, you're a better man than I.
  • Well you're prob already there...but I'd go for it.

I'm going to Montreal ticketless tomorrow. I have a friend lining up early at the box office.

I'm a little nervous tho cause U2 fans aren't as generous as PJ fans are...and arent' as opposed to scalping as PJ fans are :(
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
    I ended up not going - I was really, really tired - had taught 2 1/2 hours of aerobic classes in the morning (day after thanksgiving we had extra classes) and I just crashed in the afternoon. Body felt like lead. The thought of standing around in the cold out around the Corel center was just too much - I could just feel the wind going around all that empty flat space out there. But I'm better today so I may well go to Montreal - its only 100 miles. (Gotta teach 1 hour aerobic class first) I'm nervous too, but I really want to see them once and I know my way around the area there. Its snowing though.
    I made it to Montreal - got a legit. ticket right off the website the day of the show. U2 was great. The Bell centre was packed to the top. There wasn't a single empty seat anywhere, all the way around the back of the stage. My seat was awesome for scoring it the day off the show, at regular non-scalper price! Section 201, right at the level of the tip of the ellipse, and I was front row in the balcony, so I was just looking out into the air at the band, with no heads in front off me. I must have done something good in a former life or put some good karma out there sometime....because it sure came back to me in the form of this seat the day of the show.

You could call me a casual fan - I know most of their hits, have a few of their albums, but never got around to seeing a show though I wanted to. They put on a great show - different than Pearl Jam, but it was nice to step into someone else's universe for a day. As a casual fan, I was glad to hear some of their main hits, Where the Streets Have Name, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, Pride in the Name of Love, one of my favorites. (Its good to see a band for the first time because you get reminded that its NICE to hear some of the hits! When we see PJ for the 33rd time we want all rarities, but its easy to forget that the majority of showgoers aren't like us and may just get to one show.) Bono sounds good live, and the band played great! They have screens that show either them playing or pictures, though I didn't look at the screens much. At one point they had the Prime Minister of Canada's phone number, and the phone number of some others, I expect MPs (members of parliament) on the screens. He talked about the One campaign - everyone cheered for that.

I know not everyone likes them here, but there's a little of my experience fwiw.
  • but what we really want to know is: How was the Arcade Fire? :)

I went to the Bell Center last night, could not even score a decent scalper tickets, unless i would have spend 125$ for a 200 section, it suck but i might try again tomorrow.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    but what we really want to know is: How was the Arcade Fire? :)

I went to the Bell Center last night, could not even score a decent scalper tickets, unless i would have spend 125$ for a 200 section, it suck but i might try again tomorrow.

Arcade Fire was good too! Had not heard them before - quite versatile and energetic. I didn't know any of their material but am prompted to look into the a little more.

Oh small note, I wonder if how many people recognized Glitter In Their Eyes (Patti Smith) being played as they were setting up between Arcade Fire and U2. I'm a huge Patti Smith fan, so that was kind of cool. As was them singing a little of Rock the Casbah (tagged onto which song, I've completely forgotten now), but Bono gave some nice respect to Joe.

I hope you get a ticket for tomorrow.
    Good to hear you got to seem and had a good time!
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Arcade Fire was good too! Had not heard them before - quite versatile and energetic. I didn't know any of their material but am prompted to look into the a little more.

Oh small note, I wonder if how many people recognized Glitter In Their Eyes (Patti Smith) being played as they were setting up between Arcade Fire and U2. I'm a huge Patti Smith fan, so that was kind of cool. As was them singing a little of Rock the Casbah (tagged onto which song, I've completely forgotten now), but Bono gave some nice respect to Joe.

I hope you get a ticket for tomorrow.

yeah thanks and thanks for the advice (pm) i'll try tomorrow.

Did he say that they would be moving to Montreal somewhere during the show? Cause some rumors have them working with Cirque Du Soleil in the future, that might be what he meant.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Go... there WILL be tickets opened up for sale on the day of the show. They will probably be the top price ones, but they will open seats that day/afternoon.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Go... there WILL be tickets opened up for sale on the day of the show. They will probably be the top price ones, but they will open seats that day/afternoon.
    Agreed

I ended up section 102 Row O. GREAT GREAT seats!! O was about 20 rows up on Edges side...looking right down on the middle of the ramp.

I missed half of arcade fire cause the stupid Bell Centre decided to have ALL the fans with No GA's come in one set of doors in the front. What a MESS!!!

BTW if you are going to do ticket line...DRESS WARM!! They kicked us out from the ticket area in the early afternoon and made us wait in the cold!! FUCKERS!!!

Was a great show though. I FINALLY got to see Original of the Species live!! I freaked when they went into it! Also was happy to get Until the End of the World. I LOOOVE that song!!!

and ending with my fave song Bad..with Danny boy Lanois on Guitar....wow! just wow!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz