Options

Queen of England honors Jimmy Page

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,910
edited December 2005 in Other Music
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001698825
Queen Honors Led Zeppelin's Page

December 14, 2005, 4:10 PM ET

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has been honored by Queen Elizabeth II -- but the award was for his work with poor Brazilian children rather than his music.

The 61-year-old rocker went to Buckingham Palace today (Dec. 14) to receive an Officer of the Order of the British Empire, or OBE, from the queen.

Page said he was overwhelmed to be given the accolade, recalling how he first became involved with Brazilian children in 1994 when fighting broke out among street gangs while he was in Rio de Janeiro promoting an album.

"At that time in Rio the sun wasn't shining. The army was going into the favelas (shantytowns) and I heard about the plight of the street children," he told reporters.

Page joined forces with British charity Task Brazil and set up a safe house, which has supported more than 300 children. Task Brazil offers medical and psychological support, food, clothing and job training.

"I think when you're faced with a plight that's inescapable, and there's something you can do about it, you hope you can make a difference," Page said.
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    what a good bugger.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Awww wow! That's beautiful. :) Just when I think my respect for the man can't get any greater.

Thanks for sharing Veddernarian.

P.s. Speaking of Jimmy, check out my White Stripes thread ;)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    parchyparchy Posts: 205
    I knew there was another reason I loved this band...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Options
    I recently heard somewhere that Pagey is going to release a new record early next year. Been searching all over the net looking for any sort of info about it. Anybody hear anything. Vocalists? Instrumental? At one point I heard that he was using a different type of guitar on every track, but there seems to be virtually no info anywhere about this. Unfortunately, Pagey hasn't done too well in his solo career connecting with vocalists who could really compliment his work. I wouldn't mind an instrumental album, but I'm sure I'm in the minority with that opinion. Have you heard anything about this, Veddernarian?