1626364656668»

Comments

• Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    locked wrote:
    "Dire Wolf with a Last Of The Unplucked Gems lead-in. "

I have to hear that...

anyone have the boot?

Not me, but it definitely sounds intriguing. I'd like to hear it as well. There was one show on the World Container tour (can't remember which city) where they played Randy Newman's "Burn On" as the lead-in to Daredevil. Now THAT I'd love to hear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiqybFVGyaE
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I am embarrassed to say that I have never seen the Hip live. quote]

never seeing the Hip live is like looking a barbequed ribs but never having the experience of eating them...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Just got this email update:

Hello,

It has been a busy fall for everyone around The Hip HQ.

On the album front, we have been hard at work recording a new studio record. Bob Rock is at the helm again. Finishing touches are being applied. We will have more info to send y’all soon.

We have completed our brand new website, www.thehip.com 2.0 if you will. We are really pleased with it, and think that MAv has out done himself.

New features include:

A new online storefront called the Gift Shop. It has an overall more user-friendly layout and navigation. New photos have been taken of all the items and a product viewer that allows for a both functional and fun zoom-in application.

With the new store, come several new items.

On the music side of things, we are introducing the Live From The Vault series. With this new series, we are combing our archives to find our favorite performances from years gone by.

The music is not altered, besides some basic mastering. The shows are available in two formats, 256 kbps MP3’s and Flac files. All downloads come with complimentary Wil Ruocco designed artwork, should you wish to burn your own cd.

To open the series, we present Volumes 1 through 3. Volume 1 is from Halifax in 1995, Volume 2 is from Austin, Texas in 2002 and Volume 3 is from the band’s stop in Hamilton in 2007. Let us know what you think and there will be more to come soon.

Other products include some great new T-shirts. There are three new Vintage Album T’s. We started with Road Apples, Day For Night and Phantom Power. The other new clothing line is the release of lyric T’s. The first two releases of those are for Courage and Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park.

For the shinny and pond hockey fan, we have the Shinny Pack, which includes a tuque, scarf and puck. All items of the Shinny pack are also sold separately.

Returning to more new website features, the Music Player has been updated in both look and content.

The popular Song Of The Day feature remains, for both Regular Users and Registered Users. For Registered Users, the rest of the changes to the Music Player apply. The band’s entire discography is available to not only be streamed, but to be placed into customized Playlists. These Playlists can be can be shared, voted on and scrutinized for all to see. For good measure, at any given time we will have several streaming live shows from the band’s vault.

There is a new Video Player that allows for the playback of all of the band’s music videos. This playback features streaming content using mpeg4 files and allows for high-resolution full screen viewing. We also have the archive of MAv’s home movies from live shows, backstage and the studio.

A new Flickr application has been created to allow for a rotation of hundreds of photos. Almost every page of the new site contains this photo feature. There are tons of live concert photos, old promo photos and candid band photos. There is also a feature for fans to upload their photos of the band.

The Archive section features a variety of band information and facts, including a comprehensive list of past shows, set lists, a database of cities and venues the band has played and all song lyrics. Registered Users can keep track of all the shows they have attended and the songs they have seen performed. This is also where the Hip Story Project resides. The HSP allows fans to tell their personal stories about all things Hip. Great experiences from past shows, how certain songs or albums have helped shape them and a place to recite anecdotes and memories.

Enjoy the new site. If you are not yet a Registered User, we recommend that you give it a try. Unlike other band’s, additional access on thehip.com is free, and includes extra content, First in Line ticket access and access to fan only shows.

Happy Holidays and best wishes for 2009,

The Hip

PS: Please have patience when using the new site, as a few kinks are still being worked out. The kinks will get worked shortly and be running as good as it looks.
    10/1/96, 10/14/00, 5/2/03, 6/28/03, 10/1/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/19/05, 5/9/06, 5/10/06, 5/12/06, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 8/12/08 6/8/09 6/9/09(EV), 8/21/09, 10/27-28-30-31/09, 5/10/10
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    a quick bump for one of my favorite old threads.....
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Hope to catch them this summer!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    I'm losing my religion for live Hip shows..

I've seen every Boston show since 1994 and this last tour was a joke.. (with the exception of the accoustic set and finally getting to hear "Fiddler's Green".

Gord D. is just a circus clown, he's dropped the rants so now he has to pantimime during EVERY friggin song..

Its like he has no faith in his fans ability to just watch them PLAY the song...

"Quick do a tap dance before the crowd gets board.."

Has it really come to this?

I'll say it again... my two favorite touring periods for the Hip were 1995-1996 and 2000-2002.

They were on FIRE and confident in their craft..

Now they seem like a withered version of the old Mighty Hip..

Even my user name here is based on my favorite Hip song.. that's how hardcore I am..

Scott in Boston
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    locked! i'm so sorry to hear that you've lost faith in The Hip... :(
    sadly, you're not the first person i've heard it from....

i agree that the acoustic set during the last tour was a refreshing change - i was lucky enough to catch Titanic Terrarium....

let's hope that they keep up with those kinds of performances, and lose a bit of the theatrics....
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,908
    locked wrote:
    I'm losing my religion for live Hip shows..

I've seen every Boston show since 1994 and this last tour was a joke.. (with the exception of the accoustic set and finally getting to hear "Fiddler's Green".

Gord D. is just a circus clown, he's dropped the rants so now he has to pantimime during EVERY friggin song..

Its like he has no faith in his fans ability to just watch them PLAY the song...

"Quick do a tap dance before the crowd gets board.."

Has it really come to this?

I'll say it again... my two favorite touring periods for the Hip were 1995-1996 and 2000-2002.

They were on FIRE and confident in their craft..

Now they seem like a withered version of the old Mighty Hip..

Even my user name here is based on my favorite Hip song.. that's how hardcore I am..

Scott in Boston

I agree. I didn't even bother going to see them last June. My recent concert experiences with them leaves a lot to be desired. Sad, but true :(
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    anyone interested in Gord's new solo album? I too was once mesmerized by Gord's live performance in-song rants, but now they just seem contrived and predictable. When I went to the 2005 Junos I felt somewhat embarassed for him, actually. I still love the band, but GD needs to change up his live schtick a bit.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    so its this the end for the once mighty "Hip"?

I feel an emptiness in regards to this bands ability to carry on in any meaningful way..

thoughts??
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    why? because of Gord's new solo record? No, I doubt it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    this thread is a shadow of its former self..

much like the band I once loved!
    :(
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    I'm bumping this thread since this will be the Hips last tour ever. I'm going to the London show...anyone else going to any?
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Options
    Vancouver!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Hamilton. It's going to be heavy...

I found a full performance of theirs from Woodstock 99. What a great set. Recommend giving it a watch.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    wow scott in boston...
    i got 4 shows booked on this tour. 3 toronto and 1 kingston
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820

Hamilton. It's going to be heavy...

I found a full performance of theirs from Woodstock 99. What a great set. Recommend giving it a watch.

I just watched that on youtube two weeks ago, never having known about it before. Amazing.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    Vancouver (2nd night)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited August 2018
    Here is a rather beautiful cover of Bobcaygeon by Reuben And The Dark (which is a Canadian band that I like). :) .... The Vocals sound a lot like Gord; this wasn't really by design - Reuben Bullock just happens to have a voice that sounds that way when he sings Bobcaygeon.

https://open.spotify.com/track/50IxsNL5nPtJ6LYDI3Lgo6?si=XDM_3d7ETHaF2lcVJm8x7Q

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cool dig up / find PJ_S
    12 years ago this thread started !