Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    The Hip are kinda like PJ in so many ways...:)

Anyway...Fully Completely and Trouble At The Henhouse are my favourites.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    The Hip are kinda like PJ in so many ways...:)

Anyway...Fully Completely and Trouble At The Henhouse are my favourites.

are you a fan of "flamenco"?...one of the best on henhouse i think...not many of my friends like it though...doesn't get enough credit as a great hip tune, in my opinion.
  • Options
    are you a fan of "flamenco"?...one of the best on henhouse i think...not many of my friends like it though...doesn't get enough credit as a great hip tune, in my opinion.

Flamenco's awesome! I agree, it definitely is one of the gems in there, but moreover...one of the best Hip songs ever.

Trouble At the Henhouse is very very underrated.
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    Flamenco's awesome! I agree, it definitely is one of the gems in there, but moreover...one of the best Hip songs ever.

Trouble At the Henhouse is very very underrated.

YES! thank you mariposa! :) i'm not the only one...i love the lines..

maybe i'll go to New York
    i'll drag you there
    you said "no one drags me anywhere"

henhouse has so many good tunes - 700 ft. ceiling, sherpa, don't wake daddy, coconut cream..and of course gift shop and ahead by a century...definitely underrated as you said.
  • Options
    my personal faves are "fully completely" and "phantom power". i thought "live between us" was great...because i like the live version of springtime in vienna so much better than the album version, and for gord's rheostatics lyrics during "nautical disaster". great live album, i thought, but i have yet to ceck out the new dvd.

gord downie is one of the great canadian "poets", in my opinion. i met him on the day that johnny cash passed away and it was bitter sweet...always wanted to meet gord downie and talk to him, but we talked about johnny and it was quite somber...i found him the lyrics for "the man comes around" and he played it that night though, so i'll never forget that.

I can't believe you met Gord...that's amazing. You are very lucky.

And oh which reminds me...I haven't picked up their box set yet. I guess that's what tomorrow is for. :)
  • Options
    YES! thank you mariposa! :) i'm not the only one...i love the lines..

maybe i'll go to New York
    i'll drag you there
    you said "no one drags me anywhere"

henhouse has so many good tunes - 700 ft. ceiling, sherpa, don't wake daddy, coconut cream..and of course gift shop and ahead by a century...definitely underrated as you said.

Yep you said it it all... :D
  • Options
    It is so hard for me to pick a favorite Hip Album... for me they are all great... but Fully Completely will take the cake. My favorite track: Pigeon Camera. I also love Trouble at the Hen House and Road Apples. Day for Night is good. I have a soft spot for Highway Girl it is on their self titled album... it is to the hip as Leash is to Pearl Jam... THEY WON'T PLAY IT LIVE ANYMORE!!!!! I have seen them over 20+ times... I really stopped keeping track. Definitely one of my favorite Canadian Bands... Matt Good too... He is so underrated!!!
    Thanks harrison. Maybe you should take your beatbox down the street and eat some acid you silly pervert.

Moloko21- You have been banned for the following reason:
    refusing to followthe posting guidelines you agreed to when you registered for the bbs

Date the ban will be lifted: 02-22-2006
  • Options
    i consider him one of the great canadian "poets" ( a little play on the song there...:) ) i've yet to check out the book of poetry he wrote, but reading his lyrics is enough to tell that he's certainly up there with the great lyricists of our time.

edit: i forgot...i guess i already mentioned this...chalk it up to reinforcing my point :D
  • Options
    china doll wrote:
    It is so hard for me to pick a favorite Hip Album... for me they are all great... but Fully Completely will take the cake. My favorite track: Pigeon Camera. I also love Trouble at the Hen House and Road Apples. Day for Night is good. I have a soft spot for Highway Girl it is on their self titled album... it is to the hip as Leash is to Pearl Jam... THEY WON'T PLAY IT LIVE ANYMORE!!!!! I have seen them over 20+ times... I really stopped keeping track. Definitely one of my favorite Canadian Bands... Matt Good too... He is so underrated!!!

I love their self titled album. "Evelyn" is such a killer track and yes "Highway Girl" too!
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    I can't believe you met Gord...that's amazing. You are very lucky.

And oh which reminds me...I haven't picked up their box set yet. I guess that's what tomorrow is for. :)

yeah he did a solo show at the club i where i was bartending at the time. i went in early to set up the bar and check out his sound check. he walked up and held his hand out and said hi i'm gord (like he needed an introduction...:D )...we started talking about what a sad day it was, with johnny's passing and all...and he said that was actually the reason he wanted to talk to me...since i was the only one around at the time...he needed the lyrics to "the man comes around" so he could practice for the show that night, and was wondering if i could use the computer in the office to download them. i got them for him, and he opened with it...there were a lot of people crying. it was pretty moving.
  • Options
    i consider him one of the great canadian "poets" ( a little play on the song there...:) ) i've yet to check out the book of poetry he wrote, but reading his lyrics is enough to tell that he's certainly up there with the great lyricists of our time.

edit: i forgot...i guess i already mentioned this...chalk it up to reinforcing my point :D

Haha.

Well I've been looking for the Coke Machine Glow poetry book...everywhere. No luck yet.

Gord's solo albums...well those are another thing. I remember hearing "Chancellor" for the first time...and it gave me shivers! It still does.
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    Haha.

Well I've been looking for the Coke Machine Glow poetry book...everywhere. No luck yet.

Gord's solo albums...well those are another thing. I remember hearing "Chancellor" for the first time...and it gave me shivers! It still does.

sorry to keep bugging you mariposa, but we have very similar taste in tunes i think...chancellor is my favourite of his solo songs, followed by vancouver divorce...and evelyn is also my favourite track from the self titled hip disc :)
  • Options
    yeah he did a solo show at the club i where i was bartending at the time. i went in early to set up the bar and check out his sound check. he walked up and held his hand out and said hi i'm gord (like he needed an introduction...:D )...we started talking about what a sad day it was, with johnny's passing and all...and he said that was actually the reason he wanted to talk to me...since i was the only one around at the time...he needed the lyrics to "the man comes around" so he could practice for the show that night, and was wondering if i could use the computer in the office to download them. i got them for him, and he opened with it...there were a lot of people crying. it was pretty moving.

:)

Thanks for sharing the story with us. Now that is pretty moving. Gord seems like a very down to earth and a very nice guy.
  • Options
    sorry to keep bugging you mariposa, but we have very similar taste in tunes i think...chancellor is my favourite of his solo songs, followed by vancouver divorce...and evelyn is also my favourite track from the self titled hip disc :)

:D ...yes I guess so...Chancellor is my favourite as well. :)

Every Irrelevance is my second, followed with Vancouver Divorce.
  • Options
    since i shared the story about gord and johnny, thought i would share this as well...i did it a few months after his passing and meeting gord...

http://www.segmentedpaintings.ca/dayImet.htm
  • Options
    It was handsome at the auction,
    oh but when we got it home,
    it grew into something we could
    no longer contain
    Where's our pigeon camera,
    by now he could be anywhere
    and after all that training.
    And after all that training,
    something we could no longer contain.
    It's boring, I'm embarrassed,
    I don't endorse that, I didn't want this

This house it has it politics;
    over there that's my room
    and that's my sister's.
    And that's my sister,
    something we could no longer contain
    It's boring, I'm embarrassed,
    I don't endorse that; I didn't want this,
    it's horrific, I'm embarrassed,
    I didn't want that, I didn't want this
    It's like we burned our boots with no
    contingency plan
    Thanks harrison. Maybe you should take your beatbox down the street and eat some acid you silly pervert.

refusing to followthe posting guidelines you agreed to when you registered for the bbs

• Options
    oh yeah! pigeon camera...i "fuly completely" love that whole album...pigeon camera is yet another underappreciated hip gem.
  • Options
    since i shared the story about gord and johnny, thought i would share this as well...i did it a few months after his passing and meeting gord...

http://www.segmentedpaintings.ca/dayImet.htm

Beautiful work. :)

It's very sad...and it's just so beautiful at the same time. I think you really captured the moment and all the feelings you described....

I can't stop looking at it.

Once again, thank you for sharing Mookie.
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    Beautiful work. :)

It's very sad...and it's just so beautiful at the same time. I think you really captured the moment and all the feelings you described....

I can't stop looking at it.

Once again, thank you for sharing Mookie.

thanks very much mariposa...it's based of course on the photo from the cover of American IV...but the rest is left black for the man and for the sense of mourning.
  • Options
    oh yeah! pigeon camera...i "fuly completely" love that whole album...pigeon camera is yet another underappreciated hip gem.

What I love about the Hip is you can put on one of their albums and listen to it all the way through... they don't have any shitty songs. I have the Special Edition Hipeponymous Book with the two CD's two DVD's and it is awesome... Yer Favorites...

• Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    First we'd climb a tree
    and maybe then we'd talk
    or sit silently
    and listen to our thoughts
    with illusions of someday
    casting a golden light
    no dresss rehersal,
    this is our life

that's where the hornet stung me
    and I had a feverish dream
    with revenge and doubt
    tonight, we smoke them out

You are ahead by a century

Stare in the morning shroud
    and then the day began
    I tilted your cloud,
    you tilted my hand
    rain falls in real time
    and rain fell through the night
    no dress rehearsal, this is our life

That's when the hornet stung me
    and I had a serious dream
    with revenge and doubt
    tonight, we smoked them out

You are ahead by a century
    but this is our life
    and disappointing you's gettin'
    me down
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

you guys & gals should all check out the new http://www.thehip.com & new fanclub in the works and great things happening in 2006
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    i got the email from the hip club about registering for the new site. thanks for reminding me lost clay! :)
  • Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:

you guys & gals should all check out the new http://www.thehip.com & new fanclub in the works and great things happening in 2006

Just registered for the new site. Thanks for the reminder! :)
  • Options
    I just ended up buying their dvd "That Night in Toronto"...instead of their box set yesterday. It was only for $9.99 at Music World and I also got a Cadbury Peanut Butter chocolate bar for free along with it :p. It defintely is worth checking it out if any of you guys don't have it yet...there are so many highlights.

Oh I love Gord's ranting...in Fully Completely and Grace, Too. "The microphone stand...thinks he is a man!" :D

Too bad, I wasn't at that show. The dvd's awesome.
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i have been binging on the HIP lately..i just got into them last year

The live dvd is indeed great..i would have to say Nautical Disaster is my favorite song

and for those that mentioned Pigeon Camera, that song rocks man

edit: Flamenco rocks too
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    good to see another post for flamenco, hodge!
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I finally heard In Violet Light today ... I think Silver Jet is one of my favorites now (it was a single, yet it got no radio play or something?), and The Dark Canuck is ... I don't know ... gripping. It is about Canada's role as junior partner in the U.S.'s foreign policy decisions, although you have to find this in Gord's lyrics. :)
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    my fave hip album is " Phantom Power " by a long shot
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    Nice...more Flamenco fans. :D

Oh, Phantom Power is another awesome record. The acoustic tunes...were so beautifully done....Bobcaygeon and Thompson Girl.
  • Options
    I think Bobcaygen is one of the best songs I have ever heard in my life. When you are at a hip concert it rocks to sing along too. Also Long Time Running and Grace Too.

Fuck this band rocks.