Tragically Hip ...

rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
edited July 2010 in Other Music
Best Hip album is?

Music@Work is my current favorite, I think ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I only have road apples, it's pretty decent. I'll definitely check out their other work
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Collin wrote:
    I only have road apples, it's pretty decent. I'll definitely check out their other work

Check out Fully, Completely, as well, if you like Road Apples. Very nice progression.
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    ahhhh............
    cheers from Boston
    ...Fellow Hip heads..

my sig speaks for itself.. everyone in "the Pit" thinks it means I'm in jail..

"it'd be better for me if you don't undertand.."

Fully Completey and Road Apples are the closest thing to representing the Hip live.. (where the real magic is) don't bother buying their live CD (Live in between) its is god awful...

Like PJ , the Hip has Tons of Boots and SBD's that are 10 times better than the live CD
    But their new DVD..
    "That night in Toronto" captures them in one of their greatest performances Ever!
    defintely worth buying
    ("You want Fully... AND Completely..")
    They also have a new greatest hits CD.. "Yur Favorites".. that's equally as good..
    I'd start with those two..
    Stay Hip..
    Scott
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • I'd have to go with Road Apples and Fully Completely..
    but all of them awesome though..
    Seen them live about 15 times and are amazing live ..If you haven't seen them "live" do yourself a favour and go see them
    Master of Zen
    I'd have to go with Road Apples and Fully Completely..
    but all of them awesome though..
    Seen them live about 15 times and are amazing live ..If you haven't seen them "live" do yourself a favour and go see them

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • redred Posts: 57
    You know, I've seen the Hip 17 times, met them more times than I could remember, but I still haven't seen "Nautical Disaster" live.
  • Road Apples
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
    red wrote:
    You know, I've seen the Hip 17 times, met them more times than I could remember, but I still haven't seen "Nautical Disaster" live.

you haven't missed much...
    that's not a big deal when they play it live...

yeah, right!
    aaaaarrrrrrrrrghhh..
    nothing worse than the dreaded "setlist curse"!!!!

Your time will come my friend!
    "then the dream ends...."!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    locked wrote:

when the phone rings, off what I would sya is easily the best record. becasue it marks the start of a more experimental band. Fully Completly is as good a pure rock record there is but with day for night they started towards where they kind of are now which is a little more artistsic I find.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    locked wrote:
    you haven't missed much...
    that's not a big deal when they play it live...

yeah, right!
    aaaaarrrrrrrrrghhh..
    nothing worse than the dreaded "setlist curse"!!!!

Your time will come my friend!

In Edmonton once, the entire audience was singing it as we were filing out, that was pretty cool. I even mentioned it to Rob Baker that summer at Stage 13, and he said he'd try to get it on the setlist. I even gave him some of the BC grown, but no.......
    red wrote:
    In Edmonton once, the entire audience was singing it as we were filing out, that was pretty cool. I even mentioned it to Rob Baker that summer at Stage 13, and he said he'd try to get it on the setlist. I even gave him some of the BC grown, but no.......

Gord sinclair is the man with the setlist pen..
    2002 somervillle, before the second show I told him that "Locked" hadn't been played in Boston since 1998 and we got it two nights in a row...!
    sweet!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    locked wrote:
    ahhhh............
    cheers from Boston
    ...Fellow Hip heads..

don't bother buying their live CD (Live in between) its is god awful...

But their new DVD..
    "That night in Toronto" captures them in one of their greatest performances Ever!

Scott

holy crap, I couldn't disagree with you more (with all due respect)...the live between us CD is amazing, and is the hip at their best IMO, while in that Toronto DVD they seem old, predictable, and unnatural. It's wierd how people can see things so differently. The hip were in their prime during that Live between us album, and Gord Downie was a man possessed. Now he just seems to do his thing like its scripted and he does it because people expect him to. I have seen the hip live about 6-7 times, and they've gotten progressively worse, not in terms of playing, but overall stage presense, mainly because Gord's antics just seem like a put on now. There was a time that they were the best band in the world...around Day for Night and Henhouse years...man, they were so freakin' good
  • rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    I only have a couple, and I like Day for Night the best.

"We don't declare a war on idleness / when outside, it's cold and shitty"

Brilliant lyrics.
  • my personal faves are "fully completely" and "phantom power". i thought "live between us" was great...because i like the live version of springtime in vienna so much better than the album version, and for gord's rheostatics lyrics during "nautical disaster". great live album, i thought, but i have yet to ceck out the new dvd.

gord downie is one of the great canadian "poets", in my opinion. i met him on the day that johnny cash passed away and it was bitter sweet...always wanted to meet gord downie and talk to him, but we talked about johnny and it was quite somber...i found him the lyrics for "the man comes around" and he played it that night though, so i'll never forget that.
    my personal faves are "fully completely" and "phantom power".
    I love Phantom Power. I thought I was the only one. Its not quite as good as Fully Completely or Day for Night, but its right up there.
  • red wrote:
    I love Phantom Power. I thought I was the only one. Its not quite as good as Fully Completely or Day for Night, but its right up there.

it's solid cover to cover, i think. my friends and i made a trip to new york to see them in a club, so we always love to hear the lines about new york in "escape is at hand...". for me, songs like "vapour trails, "thompson girl", and "emperor penguin" are some of my favourtite hip tunes ever. the hits from phantom power are as good as any they've released too. i agree...not quite up there with "fully completely", but i have to admit i listen to it more than "day for night"...although i have much love for "day for night"
  • lezcufflezcuff Posts: 46
    Another band that regularly comes to Newfoundland. East east east. at the website thehip.com as of the time of this post they have a picture of the Hip on stage at the Salmon Festival in Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland (one of several summer festivals each one drawing about 30000 people)

The Hip released a live album on universal in 1997. "The Tragically Hip Live Between Us" It was taken from a show in Detroit Nov 23 1996. Song list: grace,too; fully completely; springtime in vienna; twist my arm; gift shop; ahead by a century; the luxury; courage; new orleans is sinking; don't wake daddy; scared; blow at high dough; nautical disaster; the wherewithal.

I think that's a great place to start, but then I almost always prefer live albums to studio cuts. I love the one-take feel of live shows. Often studio albums get bogged down (and, let's face it, the arrangement gets taken away from the band and put into the hands of the producer... which MIGHT not be a good thing).

Can any hip fans think of any good introduction-to-the-band songs missing from that list? Ok, Little Bones isn't there... (that's a great fun song for the guitar players out there). (Am I saying that their best days are behind them?)

Dance and Sing along with Shed Devils at http://www.sheddevils.com/
  • lezcuff wrote:
    Another band that regularly comes to Newfoundland. East east east. at the website thehip.com as of the time of this post they have a picture of the Hip on stage at the Salmon Festival in Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland (one of several summer festivals each one drawing about 30000 people)

The Hip released a live album on universal in 1997. "The Tragically Hip Live Between Us" It was taken from a show in Detroit Nov 23 1996. Song list: grace,too; fully completely; springtime in vienna; twist my arm; gift shop; ahead by a century; the luxury; courage; new orleans is sinking; don't wake daddy; scared; blow at high dough; nautical disaster; the wherewithal.

I think that's a great place to start, but then I almost always prefer live albums to studio cuts. I love the one-take feel of live shows. Often studio albums get bogged down (and, let's face it, the arrangement gets taken away from the band and put into the hands of the producer... which MIGHT not be a good thing).

Can any hip fans think of any good introduction-to-the-band songs missing from that list? Ok, Little Bones isn't there... (that's a great fun song for the guitar players out there). (Am I saying that their best days are behind them?)

there's so many great tunes from the earlier albums...cordelia, three pistols, 38 years old, boots or hearts, locked in the fuckin' trunk of a car!, small town bringdown, everytime you go, long time running, fiddler's green, wheat kings, flamenco, so hard done by, 50 mission cap, evelyn, bring it all back, she didn't know, at the 100th meridian, .......i could go on for days! :D those earlier albums were classics. cover to cover, song after song! the last couple have had some lackluster tunes, in my opinion, but there are always some standouts.

from the more recent stuff i like tunes like silver jet, sharks, the bastard, it's a good life if you don't weaken, stay, vaccination scar, gus the polar bear from central park...so i'd say that they don't make cover to cover albums like they used to, but i still love at least half the stuff they put out now.

i'll go see them any time they come to the east coast :)
  • red wrote:

i noticed you said this before and forgot to comment on it, maybe because i was in shock, red! i forget how many times i've seen them now...i think 9 or 10, and i don't remember a show where they didn't play it. it was "locked in the trunk of a car" for me for a while...they finally played it the last time i saw them!

"...they're turning this song into a movie...starring peter o'toole as the curmudgeonly lighthouse keeper...and jodie foster in the role of susan...it's called the nurse patient...i had this dream..."... i'm going to listen to it now....:)
    i noticed you said this before and forgot to comment on it, maybe because i was in shock, red! i forget how many times i've seen them now...i think 9 or 10, and i don't remember a show where they didn't play it. it was "locked in the trunk of a car" for me for a while...they finally played it the last time i saw them!

"...they're turning this song into a movie...starring peter o'toole as the curmudgeonly lighthouse keeper...and jodie foster in the role of susan...it's called the nurse patient...i had this dream..."... i'm going to listen to it now....:)

Talk of my namesake brings my back..
    "Locked" is my favorte Hip sing of all time,,
    the live version is simply explosive!
    but isn't your Gord quote an intro to Nautical disaster, not "Locked"..
    Just askin??
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    Talk of my namesake brings my back..
    "Locked" is my favorte Hip sing of all time,,
    the live version is simply explosive!
    but isn't your Gord quote an intro to Nautical disaster, not "Locked"..
    Just askin??

yeah, it's nautical disaster. red said that she hadn't seen them play it live, despite the fact that she'd seen them 17 times or so. amazing eh? i was just replying that "locked in the trunk of a car" was like that for me for the first 8-9 times i saw them. i always wanted to see them play it, but they only got around to playing it the last time i saw them.

...thought i would throw that intro in there for red...seeing as they've played nautical disaster every time i've seen them...

nice name on ya by the way...i wondered if that is what it alluded to. "locked..." is definitely one of my faves. :)
    [nice name on ya by the way...i wondered if that is what it alluded to. "locked..." is definitely one of my faves. :)[/quote]

Thanks.. keeping the same user name (Locked) is easy for me to go to remeber going from forum to forum ...but I can't tell you the number of Pearl Jam and DMB thread responders who ak me whether it means I'm posting "from Jail"???

Yikes...!

so "locked" for me "in the pit" becomes a code word for any other fanatical Hip fans to recognize...

In fact "locked" is excatly how Gord Sinclair lists the song on setlists so I use it in the same manner..

Peace ..and stay Hip!
    Scotty in Boston
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • In a world without Pearl Jam, the mighty Hip are the greatest band ever.

Anyone else a little frightened/excited that Bob Rock is producing the new album?
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
    ...thought i would throw that intro in there for red...seeing as they've played nautical disaster every time i've seen them...

quote]

And you wonder why I'm so upset I haven't seen it live. Ever since Live Between Us, it's the only reason I still go to Hip shows. Although I have heard Killer Whale Tank quite a few times, so I guess that's ok.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Gord Sinclair does the setlists? Cool ... I didn't know that.
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Gord Sinclair does the setlists? Cool ... I didn't know that.

yeah, a few years ago they did back to back nights in halifax. i was talking to him after a show at the club i work at (we were throwing a party for them...) and was begging him to put "locked" on the setlist for the next night, or at the very least "emperor penguin"...they didn't play locked, but they did play the penguin. i doubt i had much influence on that decision, but he did say he was the man to talk to if you had a request.
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Phanton Power is my favourite, that album is stacked if you take away the singles made into vidoes and played on the radio including:

Thompson Girl
    Membership
    Vapour Trails
    Escape Is At Hand for The Travellin' Man
    Emperor Penguin

and, even though overplayed on radio and Muchmusic, Poets is a great track as well as Bobcaygeon. Something On was ok too.

Though my all-time fav Hip tune is Nautrical Disaster, and that live album is the shit.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    now I have to listen to Phantom Power and I cannot remember the last time I have listened to this album

:)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    The Hip, just like Pearl Jam, can do no wrong. Everything they've released is fantastic! Impossible to chose a favorite album but if pressed then I'd say: Day for Night, Fully Completely, Trouble at the Henhouse and Phantom Power. Ah hell, they're all good.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!