framed poster thread

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    SJD3232 said:
    From the same show as above....

that's f'ing amazing!! congrats!
    Thanks
    And to be clear no children were used in getting that tambourine! 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,746
    Cheap frames get the job done too! A more fancy one coming soon...
    Are they 12" wide or 11 3/4"? I regrettably cut my Quebec poster to fit a 11 3/4" from Michaels. 
  • Options
    satcheltnsatcheltn Posts: 16
    Finally got these framed. 
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    I like the uniformity of it all
    Thanks buck. Yours is beautiful, the colors are great
    Where did you get the 12X36 frames?
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Where is the Hoff guy that used to run the framing specials?  I think his name was Chris
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Where is the Hoff guy that used to run the framing specials?  I think his name was Chris
    You mean the one in Richmond VA?  His shop is 5 minutes from my house.  Pretty high end framing shop...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    You mean the one in Richmond VA?  His shop is 5 minutes from my house.  Pretty high end framing shop...
    http://westendgalleryrva.com/custom-framing/

that's him....he did an EV poster for me just like the one at the link...might be mine, who knows?

He did great work.  Ship him the tube and it's done.  Packaging was great.  He used to give discounts for multiple posters.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    I've been putting mine in cheap poster frames to protect them and keep them flat.  They don't look bad but the pros do it so much better.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

that's him....he did an EV poster for me just like the one at the link...might be mine, who knows?

He did great work.  Ship him the tube and it's done.  Packaging was great.  He used to give discounts for multiple posters.
    Yeah I know him.  Nice guy.  Stood next to him in Hampton GA and turned out he was good friends with teh guy I went to the Hampton show with.  I don't think he's been around here for a long while.  I can ask him if he's willing to do that still if you're interested.  I never used him because I bought a mat cutter and do it myself now.  They do great work at his gallery.  Much better than a Michaels.  Big difference.  
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    I've gotten 12x36 frames at Aaron Bros. Have seen them at A.C. Moore, Micheals, Walmart. Wood, metal, plastic, seems to be a standard frame size.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    jazzbo26 said:
    I've gotten 12x36 frames at Aaron Bros. Have seen them at A.C. Moore, Micheals, Walmart. Wood, metal, plastic, seems to be a standard frame size.
    Quite the opposite experience here. Never found anything except 11.75x36 until randomly finding 12x36 at Christmas Tree Shops. Really cheap plastic frame, but gets the job done for now.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    jazzbo26 said:
    Quite the opposite experience here. Never found anything except 11.75x36 until randomly finding 12x36 at Christmas Tree Shops. Really cheap plastic frame, but gets the job done for now.
    I agree.  This size is a super PITA.  I can find 12x36 but that's the limit, so it leaves zero room for any mat without covering significant portions of the art.  I like the size because of how it looks hung, but it sucks for framing.  
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    Completely agree. Artistically speaking it really brings me into the art more. 

Also the size of BK prints. Usually no standard frame fits them, but smaller prints are sweet.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I know him.  Nice guy.  Stood next to him in Hampton GA and turned out he was good friends with teh guy I went to the Hampton show with.  I don't think he's been around here for a long while.  I can ask him if he's willing to do that still if you're interested.  I never used him because I bought a mat cutter and do it myself now.  They do great work at his gallery.  Much better than a Michaels.  Big difference.  
    I'm good for now...thanks though. 

So you just buy frames from Michaels, etc?

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm good for now...thanks though. 

So you just buy frames from Michaels, etc?
    Michaels, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, they are all close to me.  So I'll go to any.  I had to custom order the frame for Sperry Miami from Michaels because it was so damn big.  But then did the matting myself.  I am going to order a 16 x 40 from American framers for EV Dublin soon.  That will leave two inches on each side for the mat.  I'm curious to see how that comes out.  
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I honestly use Hobby Lobby and have never had an issue (knock on wood)

acid free mat and board/uv glass/etc.  im always happy with them.  Heading there tomorrow for one
  • Options

acid free mat and board/uv glass/etc.  im always happy with them.  Heading there tomorrow for one
    So you just drop off the poster and they frame it?  What is an average cost?

• Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,442
    For thoues framing your own posters are you using acid free tape, and matting?.
    are you putting spacers so the print doesn't touch the glass? 

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    DavidD said:

You know the answers to your own questions 
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    edited July 2017
    Recent Kong frame up

Post edited by Brane_of_JFK on
  • Options

I stand and watch lol.  Too paranoid to drop it off so yeah go on quiet hours.   I always use coupons so under $100 for sure.  
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    Recent Kong frame up

That is dope! Well done!
  • Options
    DavidD said:

Of course you use acid free tape, but the amount of tape you need to use is extremely limited.  A touch on each corner which is only on the back of the poster is plenty to hold it.  Matting... I have no idea if the matting is acid free or not.  But you use the same matting that they are using in the frame shops since you buy it from them.  As long as they aren't hanging in direct sunlight, I'm pretty sure we are all going to break down and disintegrate well before the art does.  
    I'll look into acid free matting when I hang my original Dali's and Rembrandt's.  Until then, I'd prefer to spend $50 bucks a print to frame rather than $400, considering they are just rock posters.  
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    anyone have any picks of 10/28/09 Philly framed I could check out?
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736

Same here...I've gotten all of my posters framed at my local Hobby Lobby.  They always have good sales and great coupons.  I'd say the average I spend is $70-80 if using a standard sized frame.  I've had a bunch of my 18x24 posters framed in 22x28 frames.  Even for a couple where I needed a custom frame, it was just a little bit over $100.  Good deal if you don't want to spend the insane prices at local frame shops.
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    Recent Kong frame up

that's beauitful 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

I stand and watch lol.  Too paranoid to drop it off so yeah go on quiet hours.   I always use coupons so under $100 for sure.  
    I did one for around 80 yesterday- I have always used them - it only gets expensive when you have huge prints and use museum glass - I.E. Miami Sperry 150+ for that one 
  • Options
    So do you guys generally take the posters in flat or in tube?

• Options

I did one for around 80 yesterday- I have always used them - it only gets expensive when you have huge prints and use museum glass - I.E. Miami Sperry 150+ for that one 
    They did a great job on the Cork one
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    So do you guys generally take the posters in flat or in tube?
    Usually I'll just put it a tube right before I take it in....just to transport it.  Not really a good way to lay it flat in the car without it possibly getting damaged.