at the end of jeremy

stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
i am not a musician but wonder if someone can tell me what is the instrument at the end of jeremy. please don't laugh at me.
many thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's jeff's bass. a wierd 8-string bass made by hamer i believe
  • thanks, it's an awesome sound!
    he's got some funky instruments. even a 12-string bass.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    i could be wrong but im pretty sure it was the hamer 12 string that he used for jeremy and not an 8 string. Pretty sure its 4 sets of 3 octaves or summit like that..
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    yeah, i just listened after answering this thread and you may be right.
    its mainly cause even though im not a bassist i cant help but love and adore the look of his hamer 12 string! :D that almost stone look to it is just gorgeous! Just wish he`d use it more these days! and oh the sound that comes out of it.... its like shitting yourself backwards!!
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • kigcat wrote:
    its mainly cause even though im not a bassist i cant help but love and adore the look of his hamer 12 string! :D that almost stone look to it is just gorgeous! Just wish he`d use it more these days! and oh the sound that comes out of it.... its like shitting yourself backwards!!

i believe he does still break it out for that song.
    which, imho, is wierd, given that in an interview he did a while back he said, something to the effect of "yeah, it was this wierd 12 string that i had custom made, cause i thought it would be really cool. but it never really worked out right."

so, it didn't work out right, but he still uses it?

eh. whatever
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    im pretty sure hes got a couple of hamer 12 strings these days. the one i think he uses live is a kinda orangey one that looks more like a jazz bass. Im pretty sure he aint used the "stone" effect one live for a while but he may be using it again now i dunno cause i aint him :P besides playing it must be a surefire way to developing carpel tunnel syndrome in a matter of hours haha
  • Both times i saw them play Jeremy on this tour, Jeff used his 12-string Hamer. That big black beast.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • kigcat wrote:
    i could be wrong but im pretty sure it was the hamer 12 string that he used for jeremy and not an 8 string. Pretty sure its 4 sets of 3 octaves or summit like that..
    right.

he hits harmonics.

*ping ping ping*
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Jeremy is a Hamer 12-string..... in fact, when guys like me who play 12vers are asked what the thing sounds like, we usually say "um... the intro to Jeremy."

in fact, the black one Jeff has (built circa 1990, during Temple of the Dog days) is a frequent "ooh me too!" custom order for Hamer, and is nicknamed the Jeff Ament model......

ament8x.jpg
    Hamer also made him an 8-string with the same shape that he did some kind of fingerpaint artwork, and an orange-colored semihollow one from 1995 that's the same basic idea as Stone's Duo-tone, but didn't work as well for bass as it does for guitar. Heaps of info at http://www.12stringbass.net

Several companies make 12-strings for lower price points, too-- I got mine, the Hamer CH12, for about $400 new. Or something like that. I got the money for it sleeping in a hospital bed for two weeks in grad school as part of a sleep brainwave study. The newer Dean ones seem a better bass for the buck, IMO...
  • EvvoEvvo Posts: 193
    definitely got a photo from canada (from a boot) of him with TEH BEAST!!