SxSW Tour rumor

jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 644
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Thought I would share, for what it's worth. Saw this link on a Toadies website.

http://club.kingsnake.com/index.php?/archives/608-News-SXSW-The-Unofficial-List.html
So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
You're batman!- George
Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• is there anyone not on that list?
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • OttOtt Posts: 403
    Yeah, I floated this out there a month or so ago, and no one bit. I'd say we're more likely to get an Eddie appearance sans band. As far as RATM and some of the other "major" bands rumored, if I remember right, that's not the spirit of SXSW really. I know REM is playing, and Lou Reed's keynote speaker. But, for all intents and purposes, it's more of a showcase with a few mid-major acts than a festival. Not many big venues to have those larger groups. Maybe an impromptu performace or two, but I don't forsee the FooFighters, or Beasties playing anywhere. More of a 6th street/bar/small venue type week. But, I am hoping with you. A short drive away, and plenty of floors to sleep on.

Ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    is there anyone not on that list?

haha good point, I like it.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    i wish the toadies would come to NY
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • id be there in a second if that rumored list is true! the confirmed list is pretty... meh...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    speaking of Toadies, check out my sig. It's their street team/ message board but trust me, this band hooks you up for doing easy ass work. Check it out, you can do as much or as little work as you want, but you will always get first hand Toadies info there. I know the Toadies have a pretty big number of fans here so I put that site in my sig, in case you all are interested. The Toadies do appreciate their fans, so just thought I'd let you know that they have this for people interested. They hook the dedicated teamers up trust me.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    "If you know a confirmed band that needs to be added, or hear a hot rumor or even want to start one, let us know!"

The last part of this sentence seems to be a strong indicator that this site may not be the best source to find such info
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    DonJon wrote:
    "If you know a confirmed band that needs to be added, or hear a hot rumor or even want to start one, let us know!"

The last part of this sentence seems to be a strong indicator that this site may not be the best source to find such info
    I agree, that particular site regarding sxsw just sounded so BS to me except for the confirmed acts which are listed.
    but yeah, I don't think Eddie Vedder or pearl jam are playing SXSW, but the Big acts REM and Black Crowes have already been announced.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    red mos wrote:
    I agree, that particular site regarding sxsw just sounded so BS to me except for the confirmed acts which are listed.
    but yeah, I don't think Eddie Vedder or pearl jam are playing SXSW, but the Big acts REM and Black Crowes have already been announced.

Is there any other info about where REM will play? I'd think they'd play somewhere with a large capacity (basketball arena @ UT) but they could just as easily play a theater or smaller venue.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Is there any other info about where REM will play? I'd think they'd play somewhere with a large capacity (basketball arena @ UT) but they could just as easily play a theater or smaller venue.

No, the Erwin Center is not part of SXSW. It's going to either be Stubbs or the newly refurbished Austin Music Hall. I think the latter is your best bet, cause they've already said that the Crowes will be headlining Stubbs Saturday night (which is usually when the biggest band plays Stubbs). And REM is BIG-time for SXSW, and the Music Hall now holds like 4,000 (by far the largest capacity for a SXSW venue).

I've been to every one for the past 10 years and I must say that rumor list is pretty ridiculous. Although I have heard Eddie's name thrown around because I think that anti-war doc is playing at the film festival portion of SXSW. That would be pretty crazy, but RATM and bands like that ain't gonna happen. And a VU reunion? I'm not even sure if Lou Reed is doing a solo show or not, and he's confirmed to be there as a speaker. That's some pretty extreme wishful thinking.

REM in a club though is going to be insane. I'm pretty f'ing pumped.
  • REM is playing Stubb's on Saturday, 3/15 per this source:

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=3834
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    REM is playing Stubb's on Saturday, 3/15 per this source:

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=3834
    Holy shit, this can't be right. The Crowes & REM the same night at Stubbs? That's both awesome and shitty. Surely they're going to move one of these (although I'd be really REALLY pissed if they played the same night in two different venues).
  • Maybe it's "Georgia night"?

I've heard 3/12 rumored for REM as well. But definitely Stubb's.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • bashbabashba Posts: 43
    I'm still hoping for the SXSW rumor.
    http://blog.xiie.net/2008/01/20/sxsw-2008-lineup/
    FOR RENT
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    bashba wrote:
    I'm still hoping for the SXSW rumor.
    http://blog.xiie.net/2008/01/20/sxsw-2008-lineup/

No way.

Black Crowes, R.E.M., and Lou Reed (keynote) are the big names for this year.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • would be the hardest pj show to get into anyways. ever. lol.
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    Ott wrote:
    Yeah, I floated this out there a month or so ago, and no one bit. I'd say we're more likely to get an Eddie appearance sans band. As far as RATM and some of the other "major" bands rumored, if I remember right, that's not the spirit of SXSW really. I know REM is playing, and Lou Reed's keynote speaker. But, for all intents and purposes, it's more of a showcase with a few mid-major acts than a festival. Not many big venues to have those larger groups. Maybe an impromptu performace or two, but I don't forsee the FooFighters, or Beasties playing anywhere. More of a 6th street/bar/small venue type week. But, I am hoping with you. A short drive away, and plenty of floors to sleep on.

Ott

FYI-probably already well known, but the Beasties, REM and Thievery are all playing Langerado this year.
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.