Options

To pedal or not to pedal...

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
So,

I am thinking no pedals again tonight...

It is so liberating to just plug in and use the guitar volume to adjust... I like the simplicity of the setup too...

I set my lead tone and volume, then I just play from there.

It is a good exercise... if you don't use a many ambient effects (Delay, chorus, etc.) give it a shot... the amps overdrive is typically more musical than a pedal anyways...

I am looking forward to our show tonight...

Four hours of rock.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah man I hear you, single channel amp man here too, however I am addicted to pretty little lights. I love taking a good thing and changing it ever so slightly.

I bet you would love what a really good clean boost would do for your amp, just making it that much bigger.

you should definately audition some boosters. The Barber Launch Pad, the Zvex Super Hard On or Super Duper 2 in 1. The Fulltone Fat boost.

I think you'd love the sound and never turn them off. I look at those as an extention of my amp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I have thought about those... I run my overdrive pedals as a clean boost anyways... but right now I am digging the simplicity of it all...

I almost picked up a combo amplifier this week to eliminate the head/speaker cab setup, but I didn't do anything with it...

the other amp just didn't feel right.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Originally posted by House53
    I have thought about those... I run my overdrive pedals as a clean boost anyways... but right now I am digging the simplicity of it all...

I almost picked up a combo amplifier this week to eliminate the head/speaker cab setup, but I didn't do anything with it...

the other amp just didn't feel right.

Your set up is about perfect. You have GAS and it's terminal.

Pedals are a cheap fix. You should run the gauntlet of clean gain pedals.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    well, the combo was a Dr. Z Mazerati... alledgedly the more powerful version of my Ghia...

but the amp has a different rectifier tube... the one in the Mazerati was too strong for my tastes... it didn't sag enough... and made the amp a bit harsh...

Plus the Z best cabs sound amazing... they are very full and project really big notes.

I was loading up my gear this afternoon at lunch, and I thought about how much fun I am going to have tonight... I am really looking forward to a rockin' good show.

Plus, I did a little karaoke last night to warm up...
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    and yes, you are right... I do have serious GAS... but that has lead me to where I am gear/tone wise today, so I say it has been worth it so far.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    well, the combo was a Dr. Z Mazerati... alledgedly the more powerful version of my Ghia...

but the amp has a different rectifier tube... the one in the Mazerati was too strong for my tastes... it didn't sag enough... and made the amp a bit harsh...

Plus the Z best cabs sound amazing... they are very full and project really big notes.

I was loading up my gear this afternoon at lunch, and I thought about how much fun I am going to have tonight... I am really looking forward to a rockin' good show.

Plus, I did a little karaoke last night to warm up...

Yeah, I hope you guys have fun. That's what it's all about right?

I've been playing with my DL4 lately. I'm not much into non gain oriented effects either, but man, I need a wah and a couple of gain pedals.

I still lust for a Fuzz and a Univibe. That's about it.
  • Options
    My lead guitar player just added a univibe... it is a great touch on Little Wing and Black especially... but I have caught him using it on a bunch of songs... just for something new...

We argue about effects and setup

He runs a Rivera Suprema (great amp) it has about 12 knobs with push pull boosts and such... two channels with a boost too... and a Fender Super Twin...

Then about 10 pedals or so...

I run my setup with no pedals and two knobs...

We try to persuade the other to "convert" he he... it is all good fun.

Tonight should be a good time. Like I said, four hours and good money too. I hope the people drink plenty and enjoy themselves.

oh, and that they don't touch my gear.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    My lead guitar player just added a univibe... it is a great touch on Little Wing and Black especially... but I have caught him using it on a bunch of songs... just for something new...

We argue about effects and setup

He runs a Rivera Suprema (great amp) it has about 12 knobs with push pull boosts and such... two channels with a boost too... and a Fender Super Twin...

Then about 10 pedals or so...

I run my setup with no pedals and two knobs...

We try to persuade the other to "convert" he he... it is all good fun.

Tonight should be a good time. Like I said, four hours and good money too. I hope the people drink plenty and enjoy themselves.

oh, and that they don't touch my gear.

Sounds like a prayer, have fun.

I'd love to have a rivera chubster, I've been debating trading my Orange.
  • Options
    What Orange do you have?

My best friend from home runs an Orange OD120 Reissue... I love how thick the tones are...
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    What Orange do you have?

My best friend from home runs an Orange OD120 Reissue... I love how thick the tones are...

AD 15/12 V 30 Webber MASS
  • Options
    Ahh, I love el-84 based amps... grind... what kind of guitar do you play?

I know you have mentioned it before, but I forget these things... you ordered a strat, right?
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Ahh, I love el-84 based amps... grind... what kind of guitar do you play?

I know you have mentioned it before, but I forget these things... you ordered a strat, right?

I'm waiting on my strat currently.

Right now I alternate between an old Peavy Strat Copy with a lace sensor and an 87 Les Paul Studio (damn I love ebony fingerboards)
  • Options
    I played an epi lp custom through my amp last weekend... it made me want a humbucker equipped guitar... thick and buttery...

I found an old SD '59 pup I had in a project guitar a couple of years ago... I just need to find a junker body to drop it into... then I would be set...

Set up a slide guitar axe...
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    I played an epi lp custom through my amp last weekend... it made me want a humbucker equipped guitar... thick and buttery...

I found an old SD '59 pup I had in a project guitar a couple of years ago... I just need to find a junker body to drop it into... then I would be set...

Set up a slide guitar axe...

G&L, Blue's Boy. Or a Epi Elite Dot.