Options

thoughts on a single coil sized humbucker?

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone have any experience with a single coil sized humbucker?

I am thinking about putting one or two into my squier tele... I had thought about the little 59 from duncan... anyone try these?

Let me know any thoughts... thanks.
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i have vintage stacks in my tele and classic stacks in my strat. they are the shit.

the lil 59 is a bit different in that it's still trying to sound like a humbucker. the one's i'm using retain single coil tone. however, in my strat, i still don't like the bridge position so i may try a lil 59 at some point.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I thought about it when I rigged my Tele, but decided on a Quarter Pounder... I want P-90's, and the QP was the closest without major mods. If you do it, let me know how it sounds... I'm really curious.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Well, I have an Alnico II pro in the neck and a Broadcaster in the bridge right now... both definite single coil tone. I am looking for humbucker tone.

My SG has P90s, so I am looking to diversify my options a bit... perhaps two little 59s or one 59 in combination with the broadcaster bridge... Although, I might miss the tele neck tone.

I guess the only real solution is to buy an ASAT Custom with two humbuckers. That way I have both.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    You can't just swap a humbucker into the neck of a Tele... it's not a big enough hole for even the Lil buckers. So you might be stuck with it, anyways.
  • Options
    the "lil's" are designed to fit into a standard single coil space... at least I thought... I could route the thing if needed...

That is a suprise.

Did I mention I want to play guitar? Maybe I should go by the local shop after work and crank up a Route 66 with an ASAT... tasty tasty tasty...
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The Lil 59's are kind of fat for a single coil. Nice tone mind you but you'll probably have to do a little creative fitting. They are a bit snug.

My buddy at GC put a JB into his Squire Strat bridge and they had to widen the pickguard for it to fit right.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by House53
    the "lil's" are designed to fit into a standard single coil space... at least I thought... I could route the thing if needed...

That is a suprise.

Did I mention I want to play guitar? Maybe I should go by the local shop after work and crank up a Route 66 with an ASAT... tasty tasty tasty...

the traditional tele neck position is too small for even a regular single coil. at least the PICKGUARD is. not sure of the body route itself. my stacked humbucker looks exactly like a normal tele neck pup though so i never had an issue.
  • Options
    You could probably get a Lil '59 or JB for Strat Neck, and then route the pickguard and, if needed, the body. But like Ex said, the Tele neck position is smaller. The Seymour Duncan site doesn't even list a humbucker for Tele Rhythm, and that's why, it isn't a direct swap.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/teles.shtml

Also:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/strats.shtml
  • Options
    I noticed that... well, ASAT it is then. Problem solved.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Originally posted by House53
    I noticed that... well, ASAT it is then. Problem solved.

Can't go wrong with that.
  • Options
    heh heh...humbucker...heh heh
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M