Options

How do you know?

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
How do you know when you write a good bit of music? I can never tell that about my own creations...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    If it makes you cringe, it's probably great.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    I know what you mean... and when ppl tell you it's great you don't believe them and stuff? Well, that's what happens to me anyway. I think that maybe if you can play your song repeatedly and not get sick of it, that is a sign of a good song.

But it is hard to tell and evaluate your own music... but if your music sounds good to you and makes you happy that's what's important.
    "...to love some silly piece of music... or some band so much that it hurts"
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i have no way of being objective about anything i've written. if i don't get sick of playing it, i guess that's a good thing but it has nothing to do with how 'good' it is. i guess i just go by any positive, unsolicited feedback i get on it, even though i never believe people when they say something good about it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    even though i never believe people when they say something good about it.

lol, yeah, same here. Well, based on what you guys say, I have about two pieces I like. On is an entire strange song in the odd tuning of EBBG#BB and another very recent (like in ten minutes ago) one is just a small acoustic riff and a chorus, sort of. Made a hell of a lot more stuff, but never looked at it since whenever...

I don't play in a band either, so it's hard to imagine a basic idea with full arrangements, bass, drum second guitar etc...

Damn me!
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    Yeah I don't write music, but I write...prose. I never know what's good. most of the time I just read it over for my own enjoyment, I guess that's enough.

Originally posted by pearlwax
    How do you know when you write a good bit of music? I can never tell that about my own creations...
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    you know when it's good. You will know.

When you play it back and it sounds perfect to you and the lyrics speak to you it is a good song. When you can take an emotion and describe it so well to the listener that they can feel what you were feeling.

Musically if you can play it over and over for weeks and it still sounds good to you then its good. Music has to flow correctly and be cohesive.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    you know when it's good. You will know.

When you play it back and it sounds perfect to you and the lyrics speak to you it is a good song. When you can take an emotion and describe it so well to the listener that they can feel what you were feeling.

Musically if you can play it over and over for weeks and it still sounds good to you then its good. Music has to flow correctly and be cohesive.

When you can take an emotion and describe it so well to the listener that they can feel what you were feeling.

Worth repeating.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thank's Puremagic. I had Bob Dylan and Ben Harper in mind when I said it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Thank's Puremagic. I had Bob Dylan and Ben Harper in mind when I said it.

Well, I had alky on my mind when I repeated it. He's pretty hard on himself when it comes to his musicial skills.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.