Options

FX mods

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anyone know a good company or person to perform wah mods?

I'm looking for the usual stuff like true bypassing, better range....
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sure, the wah man is Mr. Teese. I forget his first name just look up Teese Wahs.

Robert Keeley- yes he is a badass

Dave Fox- I believe he just sends you a kit now.

Analog Man can do it.

Or the guy who makes Rangemaster clones (well ok everybody does that now but these are exact.) gosh I forget.

O yeah Tone Man.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Have you ever heard of JPL Audio? He said he'd do it for me and said he'd do it for cheap but couldn't give me a quote until I sent him the pedal
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you'd think he'd able to give a quote right away based on the model of wah. if he needs to see the pedal first, he's never done the mod, no?
  • Options
    jdesko23jdesko23 Posts: 32
    ROBERT KEELEY ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    you'd think he'd able to give a quote right away based on the model of wah. if he needs to see the pedal first, he's never done the mod, no?

That's what I thought...I even gave him the model and serial number and offered to send pics of the inards or whatever he needs. I saw a few people hyping his/their work on Harmony-Central but the whole issue of sending it to him just for a quote made me hesitant.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    i think my new hobby is going to be building/destroying/fixing pedals.

i think i've reached the pinnacle of my playing ability so it's time to just start breaking stuff.

there are all kinds of kits on the net and circuit diagrams etc. i think it would be fun.
  • Options
    i think my new hobby is going to be building/destroying/fixing pedals.

i think i've reached the pinnacle of my playing ability so it's time to just start breaking stuff.

there are all kinds of kits on the net and circuit diagrams etc. i think it would be fun.

yea, its really fun to do in your spare time, i started doin it about a year ago and its fun and convinient in case a pedal breaks, or you can tweak it to your liking, i suggest starting on somethin simple though
  • Options

3ms sells built pedals or kits to make yourself and they have all the diagrams on their site (or at least they used to)
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    Originally posted by yellowpearljam
    yea, its really fun to do in your spare time, i started doin it about a year ago and its fun and convinient in case a pedal breaks, or you can tweak it to your liking, i suggest starting on somethin simple though

yeah, i'm going to start with wiring up my muff and my vox wah for power cords. then i'm going to fix my morley switchbox. should be simple enough.
  • Options
    yeah, i'm going to start with wiring up my muff and my vox wah for power cords. then i'm going to fix my morley switchbox. should be simple enough.

yea, the first one i did was mod my phase 90, all i had to do was take a cap out and twist around the...um....damn, cant remember the name
  • Options
    exhausted, I suggest beginning your faure with somthing simple.

http://www.barberelectronics.com (David Barber) sells a pedal called the Direct Drive- he has listed pictures and instructions on how to mod it. I have one and the work is impecable. For 99 bucks how can you go wrong. The only thing I wish mine had is a Texas Instruments Op Amp and perhaps a couple diodes on the gain pot.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    the only modding I've done myself was adjusting the trimpots in my digitech double play for more delay time
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    Originally posted by El_Kabong
    trimpots

thats what i was looking for
  • Options
    yeah, i messed with the trim on my microvibe b/c it was way too dark from the factory.
  • Options
    everybody says that about the microvibes, but I really want some kind of vibe.

Captain Coconuts 2 sounds great but its 400 bucks too.
  • Options
    ok, I found the email from jpl audio and he wants $25 for labor and then I pay for the parts and shipping. See only charging $25 for all the work and then only parts and shipping makes you want to shoot it off to him/them but not being able to give me a quote on what the parts is kinda scares me. But if it were a scam then wouldn't he just give me a bullshit price?

Anyway the mods I wanted that were on the invoice he emailed were:

true bypass
    replace CIn for better bass response
    replace RIn for increased input level
    replace Re1 for increased gain and harmonics
    replace Rq for increased resonance
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    once i messed with the trim, i was a happy. it's a touchy effect though and i don't think i use it very well. i think i'd be more suited to a good chorus. i don't know.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    everybody says that about the microvibes, but I really want some kind of vibe.

Captain Coconuts 2 sounds great but its 400 bucks too.
  • Options
    sell the vox and get a RMC 1, 2, 3, picture or wizard depending on what your needs and be done with it.

Wah's don't get better than the Real McCoy's he has been building 848's for years they come modded and perfect probably for less money.
  • Options
    I know, I know, my vox is an 848 btw. I guess I could sell it and get a new one but I still need/want a rotating speaker sim (most likely an option 5 DR) a Boss RC-20 loop station and a godyke powerall or a voodoo lab pedal power 2.

ouch, just got the word, in 2 hours and 15 min I am unemployed so no new FX or mods fer me :(
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    ouch. sorry to hear that.

the pedal power 2 is good stuff. i like mine.
    Originally posted by El_Kabong
    I know, I know, my vox is an 848 btw. I guess I could sell it and get a new one but I still need/want a rotating speaker sim (most likely an option 5 DR) a Boss RC-20 loop station and a godyke powerall or a voodoo lab pedal power 2.

ouch, just got the word, in 2 hours and 15 min I am unemployed so no new FX or mods fer me :(
  • Options
    Damn, that sucks, I hope you find a new job soon.

I have the godlyke power supply and it does very well but I wish the individual cords were longer.

Another choice is the Power Pyramid from http://www.pharaohamps.com
    Its only about 80 bucks and looks really cool.

Matt is a really nice guy and does pretty good work.
  • Options
    Thanks, they're paying for health insurance through the end of september, which the major stress was insurance for my son. I wish we could at least have health care for everyone under the age of 18 if we can't have nationalized health care here in the states (like every other industrial nation in the world)

That pharaoh one looks good but it only has palce for 4 effects.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    Matt will build it to order you just have to ask.

Good luck with the young'n and healthcare.
  • Options
    Thanks when I have money to spend again I'll give him an email.

thanks
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    Don't go to Torres Engineering! They suck! My Vox came back in terrible shape!
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • Options
    can someone list some links?
    ...please stand by the shore