Options

What Tone Do You Strive For?

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
WNOw all of us musicians (excluding me, i consider myself a guitarist) havent quite achieved musician status..anyways, what do you all strive for with tone? who? what kind? what do you do to get there? you obsessed as i? does it change every day, discuss...or entertain me!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tone.

hmm.. i generally want something that helps my lead cut through and then a sound that helps get it warm during rhythm parts... i've had a hard time with my jazzy wah sound but that's more a combination problem with my amp and shitty pedal...

so i dunno if that touches on tone etc... but it's the furthest i've thought about it...
    I'm currently out of a job, once i do find one i'll be shopping for a new guitar and wah pedal to complement my Fender Deluxe amp... i'm moving away from the Boss ME-30 multi-effects.. it's sucking a fair bit!

tone = sound for me... i think we are all continually searching for that right sound for our soul-playin!
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    "It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
  • Options
    I just like the sound from a fender telecaster neck pick-up through an amp, with the gain in Ed's style: clean when hit gently and distorted when strummed hard. No effects! (don't have any :))I also like Jeff Buckley's sound: less distortion but a lot of reverb. That's my favorite sound at the moment. simple tele neck pick up. then again, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about :)
  • Options
    robrob Posts: 142
    My favorite tone ever is Clapton, on John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers from like 1966. '58 les paul, marshall amp, and cord, but mostly fingers. Marshall amp company, and Gibson company are sure happy that those were in the picture on the album!
    That's when people were saying "clapton is god"
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    ditto on buckley's tone.

listen to the studio version of 'hallelujah'.

i used to have a mesa blue angel beside my fender deluxe reverb. kind of a mini scale version of buckley's trem-o-verbs and fender heads.

i live in the neck pickup of my telecaster.

the rest of my thing is greg keelor from blue rodeo. i love his tone.

i also like gary louris' (jayhawks) sound. pretty much just an SG into a fuzzface into a deluxe reverb.

not that i can replicate any of these sounds, but i like them.
  • Options
    Oh,,, sorry My tone I strive for?
    This week, fingers on acoustic guitar strings. Still my favorite.

Last week, Tube glowing, window popping, mesa boogie on 7.5, coming from a humbucking bridge pickup. Oh so fun!

Dan-alive and exhausted, I love my fender deluxe. Such a great amp. I love a strat or a g&l legacy-like affair through that one, but every guitar sounds so great in that. I usually play out with that and my little Boogie together.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by rob
    My favorite tone ever is Clapton, on John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers from like 1966. '58 les paul, marshall amp, and cord, but mostly fingers. Marshall amp company, and Gibson company are sure happy that those were in the picture on the album!
    That's when people were saying "clapton is god"

Man am I going to get reamed on this one, but I have to know why "Clapton.

Does Clapton have his "own" tone? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely worship Clapton because he makes me pull out my bass and jam along. Its like being there, especially when I listen to him unplugged. Yet I get that same feeling when I listen to Bonnie Rait and blues done before him.

That being said, I still do not fine his tone or style "his".
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    i find clapton to be a better chameleon. he has a versatility that sets him apart. the range of stuff he's done is amazing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Man am I going to get reamed on this one, but I have to know why "Clapton.

Does Clapton have his "own" tone? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely worship Clapton because he makes me pull out my bass and jam along. Its like being there, especially when I listen to him unplugged. Yet I get that same feeling when I listen to Bonnie Rait and blues done before him.

That being said, I still do not fine his tone or style "his".

No reaming here, it's ok

well, the reason I like that particular tone, is that it's just Pure,,,,for lack of any better words, "Magic" to me,,,,,, hm. . He is probably the first one to crank the amp up like that and just rip with his guitar and amp and nothing else. That amp said on the back " caution, turn down volume if distortion occurs". That was pre Hendrix and Jimmy Page and Cream and all. All the sudden, everyone scrambled for Marshall amps . It's not organic like acoustic, but I love playing like that with no effects, challenging the tubes and getting overtones.
    Then paying for new tubes : (
    I don't think he owns the tone, he just used it to kick up rock guitar a notch.
    Ahem, Maybe it's just cause I remember it when the album came out.
    His tone changed to fit the place and music he was playing later on. AAAAhhhhhh whaaado I know.

I love Bonnie Raitts tone. Funny you mentioned that!

I'm thinking tone as by actual sound of the instrument. Maybe you're thinking the general feeling of the music ?

Now,,,,,,,,,,,, I really really really really have to go!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    point of interest, clapton had a dallas rangemaster between the guitar and amp on the bluesbreakers album.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i find clapton to be a better chameleon. he has a versatility that sets him apart. the range of stuff he's done is amazing.

Chameleon, excellant analogy of Clapton's works. He's in there, it just gets lost sometimes, maybe that is what make him standout among his peers.

Pulls the dragger out of your heart and puts on a Coldplay song.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    remember, clapton said time and time again that he felt more comfortable as a sideman.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rob
    No reaming here, it's ok

well, the reason I like that particular tone, is that it's just Pure,,,,for lack of any better words, "Magic" to me,,,,,, hm. . He is probably the first one to crank the amp up like that and just rip with his guitar and amp and nothing else. That amp said on the back " caution, turn down volume if distortion occurs". That was pre Hendrix and Jimmy Page and Cream and all. All the sudden, everyone scrambled for Marshall amps . It's not organic like acoustic, but I love playing like that with no effects, challenging the tubes and getting overtones.
    Then paying for new tubes : (
    I don't think he owns the tone, he just used it to kick up rock guitar a notch.
    Ahem, Maybe it's just cause I remember it when the album came out.
    His tone changed to fit the place and music he was playing later on. AAAAhhhhhh whaaado I know.

I love Bonnie Raitts tone. Funny you mentioned that!

I'm thinking tone as by actual sound of the instrument. Maybe you're thinking the general feeling of the music ?

Now,,,,,,,,,,,, I really really really really have to go!

I, too, was referring to the actual quality of the sound of his guitar. The feel of the music in general makes me pick up my bass and play along.

Go where you have to go. This is, hopefully, always tomorrow.
  • Options
    remember, clapton said time and time again that he felt more comfortable as a sideman.

But his skills does not permit him to be a sideman. Therefore, in that aspect when you say "his" it opens the door of "really".

I do agree with rob that Clapton did take blues to a whole different level and made it into acceptable rock. He just makes it hard to find him in his music, or I should say "his" tone.
  • Options
    point of interest, clapton had a dallas rangemaster between the guitar and amp on the bluesbreakers album.

Yeah, I remember that now

Some people say yes, some people say no. Oh so long ago, and the drugs were great back then. The people that say yes seem to always be the ones who sell the clones . I've got one of those old rangemasters. Man, if I tried to play on that record, They would've kicked me out for two reasons,
    1. cause I suck
    2. that pedal is the noisiest thing I own! Someone said he pulled the thing out because of the noise.

Maybe he didn't pull it out and that's why he turned up the amp! and the tone was born!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Rob that's hilarious and you are so right. the same is true for the old Fuzz Faces. Get the tempertaure off a little and those germanium transistors go to pot.

The old Rangemasters used germanium transistors too if you get off just a little it makes all kinds of noise. But if you get a really good one or a really good fuzz face they make this magical tone (when combined with obvious unreal guitar talent Hendrix/Clapton etc.) Talent I will most likely never possess.

Either way there are so many tones I strive for. I love so many sounds.

One of my favorites is the sound of an amps power tubes being over driven like so many of the old blues greats have done. Think of SRV or more specifically the Allman Brothers, more recently older Black Crows.

Basically I like hundreds of different tones but as of now I just have my cute little Orange and it is a lovely example of what Class A british amps are supposed to sound like.

I'm really hoping some day to also get a classic middle 60's Fender Amp or Late 50's Tweed.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Rob that's hilarious and you are so right. the same is true for the old Fuzz Faces.
    The old Rangemasters used germanium transistors too if you get off just a little it makes all kinds of noise. But if you get a really good one or a really good fuzz face they make this magical tone (when combined with obvious unreal guitar talent Hendrix/Clapton etc.) Talent I will most likely never possess.

Either way there are so many tones I strive for. I love so many sounds.

One of my favorites is the sound of an amps power tubes being over driven like so many of the old blues greats have done. Think of SRV or more specifically the Allman Brothers, more recently older Black Crows.

Basically I like hundreds of different tones but as of now I just have my cute little Orange and it is a lovely example of what Class A british amps are supposed to sound like.

I'm really hoping some day to also get a classic middle 60's Fender Amp or Late 50's Tweed.

I still have some of those old pedals, it's weird, because they literally work one day, sound different the next. And I think I have 3 or 4 old fuzzfaces none of them sound the same!
    I've got this great "selmer" treble 'n bass amp from the 50's with simulated crocodile skin. It has the same general circuitry as the old marshalls and fender bassmans ( bassmen?). I'll tell you, that thing is the greatest , and if you look for them you can pick'm up fairly reasonably compared to 65 fenders. they're 50 watts though. That thing is actually like the old bluesbreakers sound. ( Only when Eric Clapton is over for a couple of beers and playing it though. ) yeah, right!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 19
    I like a tone that comes from the brightest pick up, but with the tone turned to an 3 or 4. Creates a smooth yet bright without the brightness. its hard to explain, sounds the best with a fender strat with a marshall guvnor pedal.
    Sorry... i got nothing witty to say in the time allotted to me.