Options

would these be useful to anyone?

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/pedaldesigns.gif

these are two utility pedals i am going to make at some point for my board. since i'm switching from an SKB with integral routing etc. i want to make the same thing for my new board but with some added functionality.

so, the loop combiner would be used to switch the order of two loops of pedals. as you know, a delay before a distortion sounds very different then after. same for wah and whatever. so with this you can switch the signal chain order with one stomp.

the input/output box is just a line selector and a patch bay basically. i have an acoustic loop and an electric loop. but you could use it for a dirty amp and a clean amp each with it's own effects etc. i haven't decided whether to use two or three switches yet.

if i go three, the layout would be:
1. AMP 1 on/off
2. AMP 2 on/off
3. tuner (mutes outputs)

another option for three would be:
1. switch between AMP1/AMP2
2. both AMP1 & AMP2 on
3. tuner (mutes outputs)

if i go two, the layout would be
1. switch between AMP1/AMP2
2. tuner (mutes outputs)

right now, i'm showing the first config.

both pedals have 9V feed for the LEDs.

so what do you think? would these be useful for the general population? the concepts are all out there already in expense controllers etc. (even the LS-2 and a morley A/B aren't cheap) but these would be cheap and small.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    they are useful to everyone with multi guitar or multi amp setups or anybody doing complex switching.

The problem with the morley, LS-2 and whirlwind is that they are noisey

You need to use a high quality 3pdt switch to make it true bypass and these will be great, the lone problem the 3pdt's are expensive but they last forever.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    i have to do a shitload of research to figure out what would actually be needed in the circuits.

the loop combiner shouldn't need anything but a switch and wires but the I/O might be hairy. i still haven't wrapped my head around why an A/B box has more than switches and wires. buffers i know but.....

lots of reading to do i guess.

wait, neither of these should need any buffers. it's just signal routing.
  • Options
    buffers can add noise you don't need em unless you plan to use 25 to 50 ft cables. or you have lots of effects, in which case you'd use a VHT tube line driver because you'd already be a rich bastard right?

Robert fuller breaks down why you need 3pdt. on his website (fulltone.com) you can get away with 2pdt (carling) but the 3pdt is a much better cleaner switch.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    i can drive everything fine right now so i should be ok. everything should just be switches and wires with resistors for the LEDs. this is a radioshack job.

i also just found a true-bypass scheme w/ LED using a DPDT switch which means i don't need to buy $15 stomps.

but again, true bypass isn't really an issue since there's no effect in these boxes.
  • Options
    oh but it is ex. it is. any stomp in your chain can benifit from true bypass if you are anal and you want it completely quiet, again you don't need $15 stomps but they help with noise. Just make sure your soldier joints are good and it will work.

Basically everything you need is at radioshack. I suggest browsing the keeley website for news on capacitors or just e-mail robert and ask. The guy will go out of his way to tell you how to wire something up or tell you the correct cap to use.

I like the big green film caps and the tantalum caps. They have cool colored LEDs at Radio Shack too.
  • Options
    oh fuck. the A/B is already designed on fulltone's site. shit. i just have to expand the concept for the tuner.

oh well. not that i thought i invented something anyway.
  • Options
    yeah, i'm not fully convinced but i'm getting there. once i get a circuit drawn i'll know for sure.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    oh but it is ex. it is. any stomp in your chain can benifit from true bypass if you are anal and you want it completely quiet, again you don't need $15 stomps but they help with noise. Just make sure your soldier joints are good and it will work.

Basically everything you need is at radioshack. I suggest browsing the keeley website for news on capacitors or just e-mail robert and ask. The guy will go out of his way to tell you how to wire something up or tell you the correct cap to use.

I like the big green film caps and the tantalum caps. They have cool colored LEDs at Radio Shack too.
  • Options
    I guess you see what I mean by the Fulltone example, probably where I got it from. Grounding the circuit eliminates all the buzziness traditionally complained about on Harmony Central.

I'm really not as dumb as I look.
  • Options
    jazzbastard body is here. holy fuck it's gorgeous. pictures tonight.
  • Options
    don't tease your making me horny. I want one too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I'm really not as dumb as I look.

sorry, totally didn't mean to imply that at all. you've got more knowledge then i do on this stuff.
  • Options
    no I really don't I just consume information. It was just a statement you didn't imply anything at all. besides this is fun.

for instance "You're cleverer than you look."

"Still better than looking cleverer than you are."
  • Options
    good good. didn't want to piss anyone else off. :(

i can't believe how gorgeous this body is. the finish looks like it's about a mile deep.
  • Options
    like I said don't tease me, I know it's gorgeous just don't show the woman, she may get jealous.