Options

PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Yes and I refuse to give up my four months!! Thanks for this support.. It helps a lot.. Cause I acted like an ass today, so I'm really mad at myself, but I am
    Also too proud of having made it this far to give up now! :-)
  • Options
    Six months!! Woot!!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    Awesome. Been a while since I poked my head in here.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Remember folks, AA and the others never close. if you need to get out and to a meeting, do it!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote: »
    Remember folks, AA and the others never close. if you need to get out and to a meeting, do it!!!!

Good reminder!!
  • Options
    norm wrote: »
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame

make yourself a pact, not to shut doors on the past
    just for today,... I am free

I will not lose my faith
    It's an inside job today

I know this one thing well,...

I used to try and kill love, it was the highest sin
    breathing insecurity out and in

Searching hope, I'm shown the way to run straight
    pursuing the greater way for all,... human light.

How I choose to feel,... Is how I am.
    How I choose to feel,... Is how I am.

I will not lose my faith
    It's an inside job today

Holding on, the light of night
    On my knees to rise and fix my broken soul

Again.

Let me run into the rain
    To be a human light again

Let me run into the rain
    To shine a human light today

Life comes from within your heart and desire
    Life comes from within my heart and desire
    Life comes from within your heart and desire

wow - as you can see from my user name this song is so important to me on so many levels, but until I started my own recovery about 1 year ago I never realized why. my significant other was in his own program so I didn't think I needed one. I was so wrong and even in one year it has changed my life for the better. The music has always been a savior for me but now even more so because so many of the lyrics now have a much deeper meaning than before.
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    In 2 weeks time I expect to have been given 9 continuous years of freedom. Never ceases to amaze me.

• Options
    9 years!! I ecstatic about ONE! How awesome that you're still here with us! And if you and that giant truck roll through COS ( Colorado Springs), ever , make sure to say hi!!
  • Options
    9 yrs today.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mickeyrat said:

9 yrs today.

:clap:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

9 yrs today.

Congratulations!!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    mickeyrat said:

9 yrs today.

Awesome!
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Congrats. You are an inspiration to keeping this going.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    I hit 30 days on Wednesday. I'm not sure if I should celebrate it or not. For the most part I have been trying as hard as I can to settle into the new life and it is a much healthier and happier version of me. I still go to the gym a ton and love food again. Food before was just a necessary evil. I ate as little as I needed to. Now I'm digging polishing off a full rack of ribs or destroying a platter of seafood. Its why I focus on the gym so hard as I refuse to gain weight unless it is muscle mass (I'm up 7 pounds of muscle already). That is where I don't know if I should celebrate this first milestone or continue on the current path and try to put all my energy into my new addiction (the gym) and keep the old one as an old memory. This seems to be working as I rarely think about the old me. My 15 year old is getting into vinyl and PJ (hallelujah one finally followed my footsteps) so it has given me a new opportunity to spend a lot of extra time with her. We ordered her first player (I just got her the audio techinica LP 60 as a starter) so she can start really listening to music. Next weekend I take her to an old fashioned rock record store so she can have the experience of flipping through bins to look for a hidden gem. Todays generation is all amazon ordering. I'm thinking in a way that should be my celebration instead of acknowledging the actual milestone. Celebrate the new me and and our stronger relationship than celebrating leaving the old me in the rear view mirror.

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    cdysinge said:

I hit 30 days on Wednesday. I'm not sure if I should celebrate it or not. For the most part I have been trying as hard as I can to settle into the new life and it is a much healthier and happier version of me. I still go to the gym a ton and love food again. Food before was just a necessary evil. I ate as little as I needed to. Now I'm digging polishing off a full rack of ribs or destroying a platter of seafood. Its why I focus on the gym so hard as I refuse to gain weight unless it is muscle mass (I'm up 7 pounds of muscle already). That is where I don't know if I should celebrate this first milestone or continue on the current path and try to put all my energy into my new addiction (the gym) and keep the old one as an old memory. This seems to be working as I rarely think about the old me. My 15 year old is getting into vinyl and PJ (hallelujah one finally followed my footsteps) so it has given me a new opportunity to spend a lot of extra time with her. We ordered her first player (I just got her the audio techinica LP 60 as a starter) so she can start really listening to music. Next weekend I take her to an old fashioned rock record store so she can have the experience of flipping through bins to look for a hidden gem. Todays generation is all amazon ordering. I'm thinking in a way that should be my celebration instead of acknowledging the actual milestone. Celebrate the new me and and our stronger relationship than celebrating leaving the old me in the rear view mirror.

Honestly, I think you should celebrate as you see fit. It is a PERSONAL journey. So I think your celebration should be personal as well. When I hit six months, I went in a nice long day hike up into the mountains... Had a nice little packed lunch, took my dad's dog, and we sat by a gorgeous little creek, ate Salami and crackers, and I sang Ukelele Songs to her in its entirety.. So everyone appreciates their new sober life in their own way..

I for one am getting the happy butterflies.. On my birthday, ( July 5) will be one year with no drinking!! I am organizing a camping/peak climbing celebration with a few of my friends from my Church's sobriety group. That will be my one year celebration.

So I think your celebration sounds awesome!! Not every parent gets to have that 'second chance' at truly bonding with their kids like that!
  • Options
    Thank you WH. Maybe what I will do is take her to the vinyl shop, go to the gym for a long workout and then treat the family to a steak house so I can get my extra protein that I have been obsessing over. Best advice I got from someone at NA is that I will have a lot of extra mental energy and need to fill my addiction void which made 100% sense to me. The advice was to fill that with a positive addiction, thus the gym.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Yep. It rely is the key. Mine is hiking. I have been away from
    Mountains for sooo long.. That I am trying to make up for it!! Lol nothing like the outdoors to make you feel instantly at peace!! Or a good work out in your case, to burn off some mental energy via deep focus. Glad you found something to help you get through this! One day at a time.. And sometimes, like yesterday, was one second at a time..
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited April 2015
    So this popped up in my participated discussions and I was like...huh? I participated in this? And then I found this, on page 8, which I wrote in 2009:
    samjam said:

Kind of a random comment, but I really praise everyone who is participating in the 12 step program. My father was an alcoholic when I was very young, and thankfully he got sober with the help of AA, and has been sober for 14 years now. My mom, even though 9 years divorced from my dad, still goes to AlAnon meetings, as she loves the sense of community, and has even taken me to a few. This is the best thing you could possibly do for yourself. Good luck to all!

Killed me to read. I always liked to give my dad the benefit of the doubt, but when I was in his apartment after he died to find the documents I needed & all that stuff, I found empty beer bottles, alcohol in the fridge/freezer, and very recent receipts for liquor store purchases. I wanted to believe so badly that any weird little things were just my mind, but in fact he did pick up drinking again towards the end of his life KILLED me. It may have contributed to his death, it may not have. I don't know. But I'm certain it didn't help at all.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is stick with the program for the sake of all of your loved ones, but most importantly yourself.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    balance. everything must seek balance. In that , is serenity. But it must be learned through trial and error. At least it did for me.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    mickeyrat said:

balance. everything must seek balance. In that , is serenity. But it must be learned through trial and error. At least it did for me.

This is why I'm thinking in giving Buddhism a try again. The one thing Buddhism pushes for the most is balance and not being a slave to anything whether it be your possessions or even to your own brain. That resonates with me more on a personal nature than other religions. Its finding mental harmony through meditation using a different belief structure than Christianity and Islam use. I went to their meditations for a while years ago and loved it. I think it is time I try again.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited April 2015
    mickeyrat said:

9 yrs today.

I mean for this GIF to be intended in the most sincere way considering what you have accomplished is super serious .... Still ....

Hardcore man. Hardcore ...
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    Jason P said:

mickeyrat said:

9 yrs today.

I mean for this GIF to be intended in the most sincere way considering what you have accomplished is super serious .... Still ....

Hardcore man. Hardcore ...
    Norris approved. Alright!!!

• Options
    Lol Chuck Norris is a total trip
    In person!! He an in your face conversationalist. Totally reminded me of that Seinfeld episode, with the close talker, only he is loud, and vibrates with energy! I don't think I have ever met another human that had his energy! ( oh and he sings pretty decent too! How do I know this? Went to a church once to visit with my friend, and boom he and his wife show up, and sit in our row!!)
  • Options
    80 years ago.....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

80 years ago.....

Happy Anniversary, AA. :plus_one:
  • Options
    Got a sobriety birthday coming up next month!
  • Options

Got a sobriety birthday coming up next month!

Sweet! Me, too. What day? Mine is the 26th. :smile:
  • Options
    July 5. Yep I quit drinking on my BIRTHDAY of all days!! Lol anyhow I'm really excited for my one year chip! I can't believe it's almost been a year already!!!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    ozzy osbourne
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Congrats to the 2 of you on the anniversaries.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle