What is The Most Emotional Song Eddie Wrote?

Comments

• Black, DTE, Off he goes, Save You

And Footsteps chokes me up everytime...

'i've got scrathes
    all over my arms
    one for each day
    since i fell apart'
    "All i want is for you to make love to me...that's just in the song, i don't mean it" Eddie (14-7-93)
  • PJLeaver44 wrote:
    What about Indifference?!

I mentioned that song... it's powerful!!
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • I have to say, off the top of my head, Sleight of Hand is pretty emotional.
  • JoeyJoey Posts: 60
    Footsteps and I got Id
    "The fat man walks alone"
  • LaurenceLaurence Posts: 7
    I'd have to say Indifference... and YOU ARE!

Love is a tower
    And you're the key
    Leading me higher
    When you let me in
    You are a tower of
    Strength to me
    The darkening hour
    Sees light again... again
  • The most emotional song that Ive listened to would have to be hands down INDIFFERENCE, but at the same time, Ive been moved to tears with GIVEN TO FLY. doesnt all have to be about sadness right? :)
    n' stuff
  • indifference
    footsteps
    love boat captain
  • MoonchildMoonchild Posts: 46
    Well the man is intense no matter what he sings! But I would have to say Black is the most emotional/intense. Followed by Release, Light Years. Most of their songs are intense and emotional in some way.
    You can't know what it's like, to bleed from here,
    The blackened world goes white, it goes nowhere...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
  • Ashton 90Ashton 90 Posts: 8
    The most emotional songs in my opinion that eddie ever wrote are, Yellow Leadbetter, Betterman and Black. Those songs could bring you to tears every time you hear them.

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky. But Why can't it be mine?"
    Don't you know there's something inside your head.
  • grief/sadness - "Release"

closure - "rearview mirror"
    stab it down, fill the pages, suck my life out
    maker of my enemies...
  • signaltonoisesignaltonoise Posts: 241
    so many emotional songs to choose from... and it's hard to choose

overall:

1. Black

but also:

Indifference
    Footsteps
    Thumbing My Way
    RVM
    Per sognare altri mondi non è mai troppo tardi
    Another world is possible
  • fpafpa Posts: 18
    Thumbing My Way for sure. It gives me chills everytime I hear it. It's so moving, and it's like I have some sort of personal attatchment to it. . . it touches me in a way I haven't quite figured out yet. I love it.
    ========================================
    I still can't believe PEARL JAM in Newfoundland

I love you I love you I FUCKING love you
  • To me every single lyric and music is deeply emotional. I think it mainly depends on the mood.
    Anyway... probably footsteps is one of the most touching songs, i mean eddie's voice and interpretation are really great.
    But i also love REARVIEWMIRROR, it means a lot to me. I can really feel it. The music, the lyric. That's what i love about pj, they perfectly describe most of my moods, experiences, feelings.
  • DroevigDroevig Posts: 25
    OK well...

for sadness

Garden
    Black
    Indifference

in that order.

But other emotions

Once
    Why Go
    Pillowed Footsteps Dig my Grave
  • earthginearthgin Posts: 1
    i would have to say is wash
  • NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    I'd say Black is the most emotional.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • STXLAXSTXLAX Posts: 46
    ANGEL
    FOOTSTEPS
    man of the hour
    thumbing my way
    "And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Nietzsche

EMPATHY
  • Thumbing my Way I think is the most obvious one, its obviously about someone close to him so the emotion really rides out.
    An obscure one might be Dead Man Walking, but not the way they play it live. Just seems so chilling and you almost can feel what its like to be on death row, waiting for your destiny. It gives me chills and like I say gives me a perspective of what it feels like to be in that situation. Pure emotion and says it all for Ed's work.
    Its been 8 years, but I still believe...PJ in NZ 06!

"No matter how cold the winter, theres a springtime ahead'
  • paulhealeypaulhealey Posts: 27
    Footsteps, Wash, & Arc. They are what I always I though to be the most emotional, then maybe Black.
    I Was Caught In Traffic!
  • rachelrachel Posts: 1
    I love this song, it touches my soul in a way no other song has. I joined this site just to tell you I cry too.

RVM86 wrote:
    Black is hands down one of Pearl Jam's most emotional songs, it almost sounds like Ed's crying at the end
    Rearview Mirror, definately, and one of my favs
    Off He Goes my fav song at the time (it switches day to day)
    Yellow Ledbetter - I cry when I hear it too.
  • FabesFabes Posts: 19
    Matt Lukin wrote:
    It was a song written about Layne Staley, and the title refers to the date that his body was found. You can find it on the second disc of Lost Dogs, a few minutes after the last track.

Was this actually confirmed by anybody?
  • aDaughteraDaughter Posts: 12
    My sister was abused by her first husband. I always felt Betterman described her situation. First time I heard the song live after I found out, I was a wreck.

Personally, getting over past shit, Daughter means a lot. It's amazing to me how he can write so well from the female perspective. Both those songs blow me away. Alive is and always will be my personal fight song!
    "The country is being run by extremists because the moderates have shit to do." - Jon Stewart

Auburn Hills '06 - Toronto 1 '06 - London '05 - Kitchener '05 - Clarkston '03 - Auburn Hills '00 - Auburn Hills '98 - East Lansing '98
  • paulhealeypaulhealey Posts: 27
    I forgot to mention, I Got Shit (ID). Thats a pretty emotional song too, also, Man of The Hour. They always get me thinking, very touching.
    I Was Caught In Traffic!
  • 4200242002 Posts: 2
    Fabes wrote:
    Was this actually confirmed by anybody?

its been said several times...
    http://www.epinions.com/content_117344931460
    The last track is a hidden track tacked onto the end of Bee Girl. Dubbed 4/20/02, it is the song Eddie Vedder wrote upon learning of Layne Staley's (of Alice in Chains fame) passing. Decided to be too personal to make it onto Riot Act, and at one point promised to never see the light of official release by Vedder, it is downright chilling to listen to ("the using, the using, the using takes hold!").

http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2003/11/17/pearl_jam_scours_the.php
    http://www.bw.lehigh.edu/story.asp?ID=17099

... but i havent ever seen it confirmed by the band.

but back to the topic, "4/20/02" and "I got ID" are the most emotional to me
  • To this day the line "I gather speed from you fuckin with me'" sends a chill everytime, given the song matter and what not. I've tried to control it but it happens everytime, that damn chill...
    http://www.myspace.com/bonodinner

Detroit x 2
    Grand Rapids x 2
  • 4200242002 Posts: 2
    VH1: Like the song you wrote for Layne Staley after he died of a drug overdose?

Vedder: Yeah. It almost seemed like something we could have put out on the radio that week. It was called "4/20/02," which was the day I heard about it. We didn't release it because we had too many songs. We pared it down from 19 or 20 to create a piece ... if it's a boat you want it to float and not have too much weight.

http://www.vh1.com/artists/interview/1458559/11072002/pearl_jam.jhtml

there, now it has been confirmed by the band
  • FabesFabes Posts: 19
    Sweet, thanks.
  • TheEvolutionTheEvolution Posts: 143
    Black for sure just watch him when they play it live he is so emotional
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • i think release is pretty emotional
    Silence in golden, but duck tape is silver
  • edeneden Posts: 407
    Release
    Black
    Once
    Agreed.

Its Release thats no.1 I think.
    When he is literally screaming for his dead father to 'release him' towards the end
    his pain is palpable.