Options

Disappointing Shows

Comments

• Options
    along with the FUCKING DEBACLE known as the cincy show.....

i have been dissapointed at a few other shows.....

Toledo...hey neil??? ya wanna get off the fucking stage?????

santa barbara 03....pearl jam sitting on stools unplugged??? not for me....

If i ever meet you, i'm gonna bring along about 100 copies of the Cincy '06 bootleg and bash you over the head with them! :)
    I don't understand, its a great one to listen to!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    If i ever meet you, i'm gonna bring along about 100 copies of the Cincy '06 bootleg and bash you over the head with them! :)
    I don't understand, its a great one to listen to!
    hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.................

that actually put a smile on my face....thank you...hehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

What did you not like about cincy anyway?
  • Options

Glad i could help :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    The setlist. It was brutal. It was the most like a greatest hits show that they've ever done (not including festivals). Not to mention Bono completely ruining RITFW.

The show started off great with Release and then it was all downhill from there.... and it was a pretty steep hill!

I think it was all that Ed's voice could muster up; didn't he mention that he pretty much stayed up all night drinking with Bono the night before the show? I'm surprised he could even get through the show lol.

• Options
    I was slightly dissapointed after Hartford 06, but thats about it. I had awful seats, and the setlist was short and kinda boring.
    ...then the 2 nights in Boston came and were the greatest nights of my life:D

I agree w/ this 100%.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    I've seen PJ 10 times and the only show I left feeling slightly let down from was Seattle, Key Arena in 2003. Not sure of the date, but it was one of the warm up shows before the tour....the one Steve Earle opened. The band didn't seem into it, the crowd was fairly quiet, and the set list kind of dragged. Didn't help that my seats kind of sucked....but I've had crap seats once before and that show blew me away.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    By no means "bad", but Chicago '03 was my least favorite of the 8 or 9 shows I've been to. Probably because Ed was sick and sounded pretty bad.

I agree. But, they definintely made up for it with the two kick ass Chicago shows in '06.

Second night of Summerfest '06 was pretty lame, mostly because they opened with Last Kiss and played an abbreviated set as the opener for Tom Petty.
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    11/30/93 - Aladdin Theater: Las Vegas, NV [90m]
    attendance: 7,000
    support act: Mudhoney
    set: Even Flow, Once, Deep, Jeremy, Dissident, Daughter/(Instant Karma)/(Across the Universe), Go, Animal, State of Love and Trust, Tremor Christ, Black, Blood, Alive
    enc 1: Rearviewmirror, Whipping, Leash, Porch/(Tearing)
    enc 2: (Green River reunion): Swallow My Pride, Ain't Nothing to Do, My Way
    notes: The show was originally scheduled for the Sands Hotel. 'Tremor Christ' premieres. An apparent Beatles tribute is the 'Daughter' outro, with a series of tunes ended with Ed whispering "Get Back" at the very end. In a near Green River reunion, Mudhoney's Mark McLaughlin and Steve Turner join PJ (with Urge Overkill's drummer, Chuck Treece) for 'Swallow My Pride' and 'Ain't Nothing to Do.' 'Swallow My Pride' and 'My Way' (written by Paul Anka, featuring Terry Presley, an Elvis impersonator assisting on vocals) are recorded to be released as one of the '95 fan club singles.

I look back at this setlist and think "what's not to like?" But somehow, I remember it as a less than stellar show. I think I need to find a boot and re-assess. Maybe "My Way" was what did it in :p.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Albany 03.
    OK set list. Kind of up and down, but short. I am pretty sure Ed was sick although it was never confirmed.

I Am Mine
    Whipping
    Last Exit
    Blood
    Cropduster
    Daughter/(Song X)/(Another Brick In The wall)/(Androgynous Mind)
    Even Flow
    Ghost
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    Love Boat Captain
    Wishlist
    Save You
    Once
    Corduroy
    Better Man
    Porch
    Encore People Have The Power
    improv (Brought "Rachel" on stage took about 10 minutes of music time, Good for Rachel, not so good for the rest of us)
    Do The Evolution
    Given To Fly
    All Or None
    Alive
    Baba O'Riley
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    "Hershey 2003 - A decent show in general but the venue sucked, and the mosquito bites girl soured the mood even further. The encore was only two songs!"

Couldn't agree more. Just wasnt feelin it that night. The crowd/setlist/sound - Just missing- Even th poster sucked from that night. it was a late add on with alot of anticipation- just never materialized.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Not a bad show, but in Cincy 06... the setlist was not outstanding (apart for my first leash :)). I could have used a couple slow/rare songs more.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    OK, I have been a PJ fan since about '98...I missed out on the Binaural tour, but was fortunate to catch them in Atlanta in 2003...My first (and, to date) only Pearl Jam show. As anyone here that has been to a show can tell you, losing your Pearl Jam concert virginity is an incredible experience...much better than losing your real virginity, plus i remember more about the concert...anyway, hearing your favorites, screaming until your vocal cords bleed, seeing the guys live...and who could forget at the end when all the house lights come on and you hear Mike hit those first few licks of Yellow Ledbetter. It really wasnt until long after the concert, even after i got the boot when i realized one thing that really bothered me....

Number of songs played from Yield (my favorite album): 0.

No Given To Fly, no DTE, not even Wishlist. I couldn't believe it. Now, don't get me wrong...it was still an incredible show, and i had the great honor of hearing PJ play Crown of Thorns live for only the second time ever. Truth is, they could have played a 14 hour show, completely exhausting their entire catalog, and i would have still been there screaming for more.

While i am by no means dissastified with my Pearl Jam live experience, have any of you out there been disappointed with a show you went to? It could be anything...maybe you didnt hear your favorite song, maybe it was shorter than you thought it should be, maybe it was a shitty setlist, maybe the weather sucked, maybe you were stuck on the lawn or in the back of the house with a bunch of people who looked like the couldn't care less about being there (another thing that bothered me)....or, it could even be that you got too drunk/high to enjoy the show and you dont remember anything. Post your Pearl Jam regrets here. there's always the next tour, and, god willing, they will play the south again so I can get my Ten Club tix.

Maybe you shouldn't have sent in so many damn postcards.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Dude, Fuckin' Up was on Live on Two Legs ... so it's your own damn fault ;)

yea, i know...

i think i just picked up Live On Two Legs that year...maybe right before the tour and never listened to it all the way through.

i was waaay begind my Pearl Jam when i started out.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    its_okits_ok Posts: 198
    I saw creed for free... now talk about disappointing. I wish that was only a joke.

You dont get disappointed if you dont have high expectations :D

You could say my first PJ show was a disappointment....it was at the Roskilde festival 2000...

Second show also a disappointment, Barcelona 2006, the show is great on the bootleg, but could barley hear Eddie in the front rows.

Loved the other two I seen, London and Copenhagen 07
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    Charlotte 2000....I thought it was a great first concert. Present Tense was awesome. Had a blast and no complaints.

Charlotte 2003....Another great experience. Great setlist (imo), played my favorite song, played other great songs. Had a blast and no complaints.

My thoughts exactly! I had seen PJ many times before, but these 2 shows in Charlotte (despite the criticism) exceeded my expectations and gave me the rejuvination I was waiting for.

good call.
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,612
    its_ok wrote:
    You dont get disappointed if you dont have high expectations :D

I have to agree with this. It has been a problem if mine. If you go to a show really wanting to hear a certain song, or songs, and you dont hear them, it can really bum you out. One thing I try to tell myself is,..
    hey, pearl jam is only playing one show right now,..this is the only song you could be watching them play live at this moment anywhere in the world, so at least you've got that going for you...
    But it can still be hard. One of the reasons I didn't enjoy NYC 03 so much, was because it was only my third show, and almost all of the songs were songs I had already seen them play. I definitely appreciate seeing a song for the first time, but now that I have been to 7 shows, I do realize that will get harder and harder.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    i thought Dallas 03 was a bit disappointing, especially after shocking everyone by opening with Alive. finding out later that Habit was scratched from that set really annoyed me too. Houston 03 was kind of halfway. the setlist made up for a pretty lame crowd.
  • Options
    Of the 8 I've seen: Thunder Bay, 2005

Coming off a great show in Winnipeg, a small 4,600 seat venue, opening with Present Tense, what's not to like right?...

Ed was complaining about the heat in a hockey arena (everyone was sweating) and I think that's part of why the setlist was cut to 23 songs. Had the potential to be a great show in the most intimate location of the tour, but dissapointed in so many ways...
    St. Paul '03
    Grand Rapids '04
    Winnipeg, Thunder Bay '05
    Grand Rapids, Cleveland, St. Paul 1 & 2 '06
  • Options
    I saw creed for free... now talk about disappointing. I wish that was only a joke.

Free? Dude you got ripped off.
  • Options
    I saw a couple of votes for Toronto 05 but I would have loved that show. I've listened to the boot and Ed sounds average but hes been worse. I never have heard Habit, 1/2 Full or Harvest Moon before. Plus they tagged Some Sort Of Homecoming on Daughter which sounded cool.

And I don't have an irrational hatred of Bono so seeing him on stage to end the show and seeing two superstar lead singers having fun would have been aces in my book.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    I would have to say Detroit 2003; after reading the other posts, it seems as if 2003 wasn't their year.
  • Options
    Birmingham 2003. Eddie was sick. It was cold as sh*t in the outdoor stadium. Greatest hits setlist. Plus the debut of the cruel..."One Note".
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    cc10106 wrote:
    i thought Dallas 03 was a bit disappointing, especially after shocking everyone by opening with Alive. finding out later that Habit was scratched from that set really annoyed me too. Houston 03 was kind of halfway. the setlist made up for a pretty lame crowd.

You're right. Dallas '03 was probably the least favorite of the 14 shows I've been to. Not that it was bad. Just least favorite.

Houston '03, I actually liked a lot.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    daughter68 wrote:
    I would have to say Detroit 2003; after reading the other posts, it seems as if 2003 wasn't their year.

Except the San Antonio show in '03 is my favorite one ever. There are also a shitload of shows from that year that sound badass on the boots, at least.

So I dunno.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Edmonton 2005 was a let down...

However I think it had more to do with the great Calgary performance show the night before (love that show....just love it.....great crowd!).
  • Options
    daughter68 wrote:

2003 was NOT A GOOD TOUR. They were sloppy beyond belief. Bum notes all over the place. Just listen to any boot for proof

McCready seemed to rise to prominence on this tour..Long, long solos, and he was at most times briliant, but Vedder seemed a little flat with his singing, the growl wasn't there, the intensity.

The setlists were totally random..Opening shows with Alive, Betterman, Present Tense etc etc..BUT it was too random..The shows didn't seem to have rhythm and it sometimes felt like a P.Jam shuffle on your ipod.

Ofcourse on some shows they were red hot, like any top class band. S.College is amazing, Buffalo, Vancouver.

For me though, the 2006 tour was 10X better, especially the European shows.
  • Options
    I have been a fan since around 1993, but due to various circumstances I've never been able to attend a show. Obviously, I was able to get my live "fix" through the sucession of numberless bootlegs that have been released over the years.

I was hesitant to attend my first show due to the very fact that anything short of the Diety himself descending upon the arena NOTHING could meet my expectations...

I'm not sure what the problem was, maybe: high expectations, shitty sound, the fact that I couldn't hear Eddie singing, the fact that they seemed "off" (especially Eddie). I've detected a consistent theme to this thread and it seems to center around either Eddie not sounding very good, their sound system, the venue, etc.

What I'm wondering is from people who have attended multiple shows is their sound always that bad? Does it vary from show to show? Multiple people have mentioned that couldn't hear Eddie sing, does this depend on the show?

Anyway, thanks. This has been bugging the hell out of me for the better part of a year. I realize that speaks volumes about my life, but when you dream about the night your going lose your Pearl Jam virginity for 15 years and it turns out to be a rape...well that's going to leave one disillusioned.
  • Options
    jGreer81 wrote:
    I have been a fan since around 1993, but due to various circumstances I've never been able to attend a show. Obviously, I was able to get my live "fix" through the sucession of numberless bootlegs that have been released over the years.

I was hesitant to attend my first show due to the very fact that anything short of the Diety himself descending upon the arena NOTHING could meet my expectations...

I'm not sure what the problem was, maybe: high expectations, shitty sound, the fact that I couldn't hear Eddie singing, the fact that they seemed "off" (especially Eddie). I've detected a consistent theme to this thread and it seems to center around either Eddie not sounding very good, their sound system, the venue, etc.

What I'm wondering is from people who have attended multiple shows is their sound always that bad? Does it vary from show to show? Multiple people have mentioned that couldn't hear Eddie sing, does this depend on the show?

Anyway, thanks. This has been bugging the hell out of me for the better part of a year. I realize that speaks volumes about my life, but when you dream about the night your going lose your Pearl Jam virginity for 15 years and it turns out to be a rape...well that's going to leave one disillusioned.
    sound definitely varies from show to show....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Except the San Antonio show in '03 is my favorite one ever.

Yeah, that was by far the best of the TX shows in '03. Not even counting that it was my first time to see them. The happy birthday singing to Mike was classic live PJ.