Options

Disappointing Shows

GivenToFly982GivenToFly982 Posts: 46
edited February 2008 in The Porch
OK, I have been a PJ fan since about '98...I missed out on the Binaural tour, but was fortunate to catch them in Atlanta in 2003...My first (and, to date) only Pearl Jam show. As anyone here that has been to a show can tell you, losing your Pearl Jam concert virginity is an incredible experience...much better than losing your real virginity, plus i remember more about the concert...anyway, hearing your favorites, screaming until your vocal cords bleed, seeing the guys live...and who could forget at the end when all the house lights come on and you hear Mike hit those first few licks of Yellow Ledbetter. It really wasnt until long after the concert, even after i got the boot when i realized one thing that really bothered me....

Number of songs played from Yield (my favorite album): 0.

No Given To Fly, no DTE, not even Wishlist. I couldn't believe it. Now, don't get me wrong...it was still an incredible show, and i had the great honor of hearing PJ play Crown of Thorns live for only the second time ever. Truth is, they could have played a 14 hour show, completely exhausting their entire catalog, and i would have still been there screaming for more.

While i am by no means dissastified with my Pearl Jam live experience, have any of you out there been disappointed with a show you went to? It could be anything...maybe you didnt hear your favorite song, maybe it was shorter than you thought it should be, maybe it was a shitty setlist, maybe the weather sucked, maybe you were stuck on the lawn or in the back of the house with a bunch of people who looked like the couldn't care less about being there (another thing that bothered me)....or, it could even be that you got too drunk/high to enjoy the show and you dont remember anything. Post your Pearl Jam regrets here. there's always the next tour, and, god willing, they will play the south again so I can get my Ten Club tix.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Charlotte 2000....I thought it was a great first concert. Present Tense was awesome. Had a blast and no complaints.

Charlotte 2003....Another great experience. Great setlist (imo), played my favorite song, played other great songs. Had a blast and no complaints.
  • Options
    I was slightly dissapointed after Hartford 06, but thats about it. I had awful seats, and the setlist was short and kinda boring.
    ...then the 2 nights in Boston came and were the greatest nights of my life:D
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Quebec City '05. I loved the concert! It was my first. My only complaint was the amount of stuff they crossed off the list. I could have heard Soon Forget, Jeremy, Daughter and Baba! (there were a few others but I forget them) Seeing the set list I was like :O:O:O "The show coulda been even better!!"
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,749
    Honestly, I can't really think of a show I thought was just bad or disappointing. I've definitely liked some better than others.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I've only been to two shows and they were both bummers...

Hershey 2003 - A decent show in general but the venue sucked, and the mosquito bites girl soured the mood even further. The encore was only two songs!

East Rutherford 2006 #1 - a great show on the bootleg but PJ's pussy sound system sounded awful in the venue, and Stone's amp blew up during "Alone" which was a major bummer for me. It's a good thing I didn't go the second night because things went even worse.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    I've only been to two shows and they were both bummers...

Hershey 2003 - A decent show in general but the venue sucked, and the mosquito bites girl soured the mood even further. The encore was only two songs!

East Rutherford 2006 #1 - a great show on the bootleg but PJ's pussy sound system sounded awful in the venue, and Stone's amp blew up during "Alone" which was a major bummer for me. It's a good thing I didn't go the second night because things went even worse.

I heard the boot of the Hershey show, sorry it brought the mood down but i almost cried laughing about the mosquito bite girl....the Atlanta 2003 show also wasn't without technical difficulties, as they couldn't get "You Are" sorted out...not exactly a tragedy but that song is bad ass live.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    By no means "bad", but Chicago '03 was my least favorite of the 8 or 9 shows I've been to. Probably because Ed was sick and sounded pretty bad.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    My only "bad" experience was 03 Hershey. Not a great venue, sound wasn't good, and seating was insane - was all the way on the side of the stage, and could barely see them
  • Options
    KirkwoodKirkwood Posts: 228
    My first (Paris 2006) was a really bad concert for me, it was crazy during the whole gig, you couldn´t hear eddie sing only the audience and it was really ruff in the fronts.
    Then I had also this really high expactations of hearing all my favorite songs and didn´t. and alot of songs from Riot act were played wich I care for the least of their album catalogue + I had drink alot of beers before so halfway through I was crying for water and had to wait to the end.
    But with a little perspective on this it was nice gig, just at the gig I wasn´t pleased at all.

I actually enjoy My morning jacket more.
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:

Night two was awesome there. Sure, they blew something out right before 'Animal' but Eddie made light of the situation by saying that Bruce Springsteen forgot to pay the bill and the crowd didn't seem to mind at all.

Not to mention the best jams of Crazy Mary and Porch that I've witnessed or heard. One of my favorite shows I've been too.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,607
    I do actually sort of rank my shows, or at least there is a top tier and a bottom tier. People would probably be surprised if I said I have been to seven shows, and the bottom two are Toledo 2004 and NYC 2003 night 2. But its true!!! The reason for that has to do partly with expectations I think, but also the setlist and the mood I was in I am sure. Anyways, I wouldnt call them dissapointing, just not as great as the others, for me personally. Here would be my list....
    1.) Kitchener 05
    2.) Cleveland 06
    3.) Columbus 03
    4.) Lolla 07
    5.) Columbus 00
    6.) NYC 03 Nite 2
    7.) Toledo 04.

I mean, they were all great shows in there own right, but there is nothing wrong with personal prefereance. I mean, you look at my top 3 shows, and these were shows where I saw songs I thought I may never see, like Indifference, Footsteps, You, Immortality, Cant Keep on the uke, etc. As great a show as NYC was, there wernt any songs that threw me off, and I guess that is what disapointe me. And in Toledo, as awesome as it was to see Neil jam with PJ, a once in a lifetime experience, they only played like 10-13 pearl jam originals, and i guess that dispointed me. Maybe that makes me greedy? Oh well, the nice thing is, I keep enjoying the shows more and more.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    i still remember the first show like it was yesterday...

Auburn Hills, MI 10/07/2000.

great first show but i was pissed i didn't get to hear Yellow Ledbetter,

instead they played Fuckin Up...which at the time i had never heard so it wasn't a good way to end the night for me.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Night two was awesome there. Sure, they blew something out right before 'Animal' but Eddie made light of the situation by saying that Bruce Springsteen forgot to pay the bill and the crowd didn't seem to mind at all.

I was talking about the sound too. People who were there told me that it was only half as loud after the power outage, and sounded even worse than the night before. This is in the bleachers though. It probably sounded okay on the floor.
  • Options
    "cincy" - spady mcdoddy
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    I do actually sort of rank my shows, or at least there is a top tier and a bottom tier. People would probably be surprised if I said I have been to seven shows, and the bottom two are Toledo 2004 and NYC 2003 night 2. But its true!!! The reason for that has to do partly with expectations I think, but also the setlist and the mood I was in I am sure. Anyways, I wouldnt call them dissapointing, just not as great as the others, for me personally. Here would be my list....
    1.) Kitchener 05
    2.) Cleveland 06
    3.) Columbus 03
    4.) Lolla 07
    5.) Columbus 00
    6.) NYC 03 Nite 2
    7.) Toledo 04.

I mean, they were all great shows in there own right, but there is nothing wrong with personal prefereance. I mean, you look at my top 3 shows, and these were shows where I saw songs I thought I may never see, like Indifference, Footsteps, You, Immortality, Cant Keep on the uke, etc. As great a show as NYC was, there wernt any songs that threw me off, and I guess that is what disapointe me. And in Toledo, as awesome as it was to see Neil jam with PJ, a once in a lifetime experience, they only played like 10-13 pearl jam originals, and i guess that dispointed me. Maybe that makes me greedy? Oh well, the nice thing is, I keep enjoying the shows more and more.

It's cool you put Kitchener first out of those, it was my first show. :)
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    first show: oct. 31st 2000 shoreline ampitheatre. amazing seats in the center section, AND it was halloween! seeing the boys dressed as the village people for the encore was mind-blowing!!

WORST show: june 2003, shoreline amp. for some reason ten club was doing tix differently, and everyone had to wait in a huge-ass line all day long. my seats were in almost the very back row, side section. the whole vibe was different too, at the last show everyone was standing up the entire time, dancing around. this concert, almost entire sections in front of me were sitting DOWN halfway through the set! at one point Ed mentioned the dixie chicks and tons of people started booing him! ed called the ppl booing "pussies", but the night just got weirder after that. definitely not a great show.

The show that made up for it: July 16, 2006, San Fran: the greatest show ever! despite missing out on ten club tix, managed to get gen. admission through ticketmaster and ended up in the front row!! yeaah!
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    i still remember the first show like it was yesterday...

Auburn Hills, MI 10/07/2000.

great first show but i was pissed i didn't get to hear Yellow Ledbetter,

instead they played Fuckin Up...which at the time i had never heard so it wasn't a good way to end the night for me.

Dude, Fuckin' Up was on Live on Two Legs ... so it's your own damn fault ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    Cincinnati 2006.

no question. completely generic setlist. the crowd was thirsty for some fine wine, instead they gave us flat, room temperature beer.
  • Options
    mateo45mateo45 the Central Coast of California Posts: 91
    1. san jose 11/04/95 make up show, amazing! i've never stopped loving pj since this day. side note..me and my wife started dating the very next day after this show. big weekened in my life.

2. las vegas 10/22/00 tenth anniversary, great mood, great show. very special

3. san francisco 7/18/06 the 3 s.f. shows just seemed special. i guess maybe because it was their first time back in s.f. "proper" since the aborted show that ended up being neil jam.

4. santa barbara 7/13/06 mini gorge set. beautiful day. didn't want the show to end when it did. but do you ever?

5. bridge school 10/31/99 nothing as it seems....eerie. amazing. mike's mask. maricor! the one time i absolutely loved hearing 'last kiss' also seeing ed singin' next to roger daltry along with neil and brian wilson.....pretty sweet.

6. bridge school 10/26/03 first pj experience with my wife.

7. los angeles 7/10/06 i don't know. i liked it. got to see ed sing walkin' the cow. can't complain.

8. las vegas 6/6/03 ann and nancy. not bad.

9. irvine 6/2/03 i remember them playing oceans while we were all waiting to get in...during soundcheck, and i thought the night would be magical....turned out only to be "only" really great. what a whiny bitch i am.

10. sacramento 7/16/98 really actually loved this show. i remember being pretty embarassed of the crowd though. lots of shoe throwing, ed saying we "pissed him off" i think that had more to do with how the crowd booed 'x' the legendary l.a. punk rock band

11. san francisco 6/24/95 such a bummer on one hand. i had built this show up so much, and then ed walked off stage. confusion ensued. and then we got the 'neil jam' set. actually really great. my first time ever seeing neil. pretty amazing. but as a pj show, it had to be my most dissapointing.

that was fun to write about.
    "there's no lights by the stairs? oh, they'll be fine..."-ed, 11/4/95 san jose
  • Options
    I saw creed for free... now talk about disappointing. I wish that was only a joke.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Madrid and Nova Rock were short shows because they were festivals... still longer sets than other festival acts - so not a real disappointment

BUT
    KATOWICE (2007) a fuckin' brilliant fantastic memorable show (starting it with the greatest Rearviewmirror EVER) in a huge open air stadium (supporting act: Linkin Park) >> it was too short unfortunately :mad: :( Ed asked for our apologies and said the show should have been longer but it was not their fault...
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    Ricsard wrote:
    Madrid and Nova Rock were short shows because they were festivals... still longer sets than other festival acts - so not a real disappointment

BUT
    KATOWICE (2007) a fuckin' brilliant fantastic memorable show (starting it with the greatest Rearviewmirror EVER) in a huge open air stadium (supporting act: Linkin Park) >> it was too short unfortunately :mad: :( Ed asked for our apologies and said the show should have been longer but it was not their fault...

Out of the gigs Ive been to, Poland 2007 was the less impressive.
    Their set was cut short (Release and Alone plus some others were dropped).

I prefer smaller venues aswell. It was very tough to get anywhere close.

Still it was a good day out but the worst of the 7 times Ive seen them.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    every show was fantastic
    now to nitpick

VFC Ashville N.C.

Eddie was sick. Setlist was kinda short.
    my section..."are they really gonna stand for the whole show?"
    i think theres a reason PJ wont play the south.

uh
    Montreal 05

Somethin about this show. HUGE audience...something lacked though.

uh uh
    and
    Toronto 06 Night 1

first show of the tour. makes sense.
    although
    Daughter > To Come has become one of my favorites

everything else....
    kick ass
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I've only ever been disappointed twice ...

Toronto 05 (worst show EVER)
    Cincy 06

Ha! I forgot about that one...Bono...
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    have any of you out there been disappointed with a show you went to?

no
  • Options
    I have to admit, i felt very very slight disappointment after Paris '06. I don't know if it was simply because i'd seen two amazing shows back to back in Lisbon a week before, or just because the crowd was far too rough even where we were. But i felt a bit deflated after the show.

But i've since been able to listen to the bootleg numerous times and remember just how damn amazing it was! The crowd was rough and some of the French were assholes (trying to literally climb onto people's heads like goons), but there were loads of Riot Act songs, including my favourite (Half Full), and Rockin' at the end was just like a big party.

So yeah, any initial feelings of disappointment that i had have long since disappeared and i think it was a great night.

Pointless post by me, really :p
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    Best: 2003 Boston III-nuff said...
    Worst: 2003 Tampa-really lame crowd and it just didn't seem like the guys were all that jacked to be there.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    The only times I've been let down is when you go to the short sets (groundworks). But I've known going in they would be short, but still worth going to.
  • Options
    along with the FUCKING DEBACLE known as the cincy show.....

i have been dissapointed at a few other shows.....

Toledo...hey neil??? ya wanna get off the fucking stage?????

santa barbara 03....pearl jam sitting on stools unplugged??? not for me....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I've only ever been disappointed twice ...

Toronto 05 (worst show EVER)
    Cincy 06

What didn't you like about Toronto 05?