Did you vote, yet?

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The reason it should be a full day is because you can lose a competitive edge or be unfairly punished for taking time off to vote when others do not.
    HughFreakingDillon said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    Pennsylvania has no early voting but Ill be there at 7:00 am before work when the polls open. 

and yes agree with PJ it should be a holiday. they don't make it very convenient.
    in canada it's law for a workplace to allow a certain amount of time paid leave to go vote. I don't bother, I just vote after dinner, but it's a good thing they do that for folks that are too busy with kids, etc, to leave the house to vote. 
    Is there not a similar law in the US? Surely there is something that ensures all people can go vote, even if they have shit employers who don't want them to take the time??
    just assumed not with all the calls for a "national holiday". I think a full day off to vote is a bit much. but I guess it depends how far you have to go to vote. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    Pennsylvania has no early voting but Ill be there at 7:00 am before work when the polls open. 

and yes agree with PJ it should be a holiday. they don't make it very convenient.
    in canada it's law for a workplace to allow a certain amount of time paid leave to go vote. I don't bother, I just vote after dinner, but it's a good thing they do that for folks that are too busy with kids, etc, to leave the house to vote. 
    Is there not a similar law in the US? Surely there is something that ensures all people can go vote, even if they have shit employers who don't want them to take the time??
    C’mon, it’s ‘Murica. Where we tell other countries how they should have democratically held elections but then do everything they can to disenfranchise their own electorate. Woot! ‘Murica.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    There are untold numbers of asshole bosses who would pass a person over for a promotion because they left the crew hanging to go vote when nobody else cared enough to do so.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

just assumed not with all the calls for a "national holiday". I think a full day off to vote is a bit much. but I guess it depends how far you have to go to vote. 
    Yeah, it seems like a bit much to me as well. I'd be curious to see how much the voter turnout increased if they actually did this though... Would it really go up? I don't know. It seems to me that the vast majority of people who don't vote could very easily do so if only they wanted to bother with it. I kind of think that those who don't vote because it's "inconvenient" on a work day still wouldn't vote if it was a national holiday... they'd always find a reason why it's not convenient. Lines too long, too much to do on a national holiday, had to stay home and host the BBQ, etc etc.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Yeah, it seems like a bit much to me as well. I'd be curious to see how much the voter turnout increased if they actually did this though... Would it really go up? I don't know. It seems to me that the vast majority of people who don't vote could very easily do so if only they wanted to bother with it. I kind of think that those who don't vote because it's "inconvenient" on a work day still wouldn't vote if it was a national holiday... they'd always find a reason why it's not convenient. Lines too long, etc etc.
    I don't know if it would help turn out.  People have ample chances to vote when they are not working before Tuesday.  If they are not motivated to take an hour on a Saturday to do it or fill out an online form to send it in the mail, I don't see them taking eight hours on a Tuesday. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The unemployed trailerbat vote rules the day. You're welcome, world.

:murica:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Yeah, it seems like a bit much to me as well. I'd be curious to see how much the voter turnout increased if they actually did this though... Would it really go up? I don't know. It seems to me that the vast majority of people who don't vote could very easily do so if only they wanted to bother with it. I kind of think that those who don't vote because it's "inconvenient" on a work day still wouldn't vote if it was a national holiday... they'd always find a reason why it's not convenient. Lines too long, too much to do on a national holiday, had to stay home and host the BBQ, etc etc.
    I’d be good with trading out Columbus Day with it (since it is pretty ridiculous to have a Columbus Day anyway).  I think that celebrating the day that you have the right to vote would be way more meaningful in the whole spectrum of democracy.  
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I took a PTO day & my wife has off too , will make a whole day of it ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

I’d be good with trading out Columbus Day with it (since it is pretty ridiculous to have a Columbus Day anyway).  I think that celebrating the day that you have the right to vote would be way more meaningful in the whole spectrum of democracy.  
    Exactly how I feel.
    The only downside is that, like every other American holiday, it will eventually become an excuse for large portions of the population to get shitfaced.
  • I took a PTO day & my wife has off too , will make a whole day of it ..
    Rock the vote?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Exactly how I feel.
    The only downside is that, like every other American holiday, it will eventually become an excuse for large portions of the population to get shitfaced.
    That’s a downside? ;)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

100% agree!
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Exactly how I feel.
    Most likely. 
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Jason P said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Exactly how I feel.
    Most likely. 
    As long as someone votes, they are free to do what they want with the rest of their day. I don't drink but I support the freedom for people to have hangovers at work on Wednesday.
    edited November 2018
    dankind said:
    The unemployed trailerbat vote rules the day. You're welcome, world.

:murica:
    What does this mean?
    Post edited by njnancy on
    Those immigrants, they'll never assimilate into American culture. :wink:  Have an awesome day tomorrow. :murica:
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Exactly how I feel.
    Most likely. 
    As long as someone votes, they are free to do what they want with the rest of their day. I don't drink but I support the freedom for people to have hangovers at work on Wednesday.
    The state I grew up in doesn't allow alcohol sales until voting closes on election day.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Jason P said:
    Most people are given PTO to use as they choose.

Mandatory Paid Time Off != Personal Paid Time Off

it's not a choice here.  employers have to give you paid time off. it doesn't come out of your vacation or otherwise. it just is.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    An employer is required to give an employee unpaid 'leave' for jury duty. Doesn't matter if you are chosen for the jury or if it is just one or two days of waiting to be called. The government pays you a small fee for attending. 

It is a hardship for people who are chosen as they may have to go without pay for a long period of time. But jury duty is seen as a civic duty so the federal government requires that employers comply.

You'd think that the same law would be passed for the ability to vote. As a white woman in an urban area, voting is easy. Open early, closed late. Can early vote (somehow) and by absentee ballot. You can walk to your polling place in most parts of NJ. For someone who is in college, a minority, in a red State - it seems that elections are made as difficult as possible. And in this case, it IS the Republicans that are the ones making it harder to vote. 

Do not leave a line if you are told you cannot vote because you are not listed or your ID does not match or if they try to close off the line at a certain point if you are voting later in the day and it runs into closing time. If you are in line prior to closing time in your state, you are allowed by law to vote. 

Ask for & fill out & hand in a provisional ballot if they insist that you are not listed or don't have the 'right' ID. And do not leave the line, call 866-OUR-VOTE. That is the voter protection hot line and someone will either tell you what to do or they will come to the voting place. Do not be bullied into not voting. And though it's not illegal, keep your smartphone in your pocket when you vote unless there is a problem. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Exactly how I feel.
    Yeah, exactly, and that's why I think it's a bad idea. It could actually lead to fewer people voting rather than more.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Yeah, it seems like a bit much to me as well. I'd be curious to see how much the voter turnout increased if they actually did this though... Would it really go up? I don't know. It seems to me that the vast majority of people who don't vote could very easily do so if only they wanted to bother with it. I kind of think that those who don't vote because it's "inconvenient" on a work day still wouldn't vote if it was a national holiday... they'd always find a reason why it's not convenient. Lines too long, etc etc.
    I don't know if it would help turn out.  People have ample chances to vote when they are not working before Tuesday.  If they are not motivated to take an hour on a Saturday to do it or fill out an online form to send it in the mail, I don't see them taking eight hours on a Tuesday. 
    I would think it would help. In some places people have to wait two or three hours to vote. 
    Rock the vote?
    Def 😁😉
    njnancy said:
    Those immigrants, they'll never assimilate into American culture. :wink:  Have an awesome day tomorrow. :murica:
    lol I know no way can they 🇨🇱🇺🇸 Thanks I hope you do too ..
    njnancy said:
    lol I know no way can they 🇨🇱🇺🇸 Thanks I hope you do too ..
    :peace:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

I love the PTO idea. National holiday would be better but I doubt that will happen. Voting is an inconvenience here, which is how they (or one of the two parties) wants it. 

Taking the wife out to dinner and a voting booth tomorrow after work. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

I love the PTO idea. National holiday would be better but I doubt that will happen. Voting is an inconvenience here, which is how they (or one of the two parties) wants it. 

Taking the wife out to dinner and a voting booth tomorrow after work. 
    Cool man I hope you have a great dinner!!
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Jason P said:
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Exactly how I feel.
    Most likely. 
    The state I grew up in doesn't allow alcohol sales until voting closes on election day.
    Fuckin' commies
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I think i'm gonna drink Stoli and vote for a straight GOP ticket 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited November 2018
    my2hands said:
    I think i'm gonna drink Stoli and vote for a straight GOP ticket 
    За здоровье   !!!

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    I did.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13