Options

Lemon Jail, the new Replacements book by Bill Sullivan!!!

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
What a cool book!

I started reading Lemon Jail last night. Already enjoying it a lot!

After I quit reading for the night, I went to sleep and had this dream where I was talking to Bill Sullivan (I've never actually met Bill)and he was showing me some scarce books he had that where basically photojournalism books about The Replacements (I wish there really were such things!) I told Bill how cool I thought the books were and hoped that they would get republished some day. While we were talking about the books, there was a song playing in the background that was not by, but rather was about The Replacements- a song I made up in my dream. I can't remember the melody or even the exact words but it had this theme where something is mention followed by "something we don't have" Kind of like:

Lot's of food in the fridge
(Something we don't have!)
Good paying jobs
Money in the bank
Neat and tidy homes

It was a really cool song!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Cant wait to check this out
  • Options
    Cant wait to check this out
    Some really wild tales there and a lot of cool pictures I've not seen before.  It's a quick read but worth every penny.  I think you will dig it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    Looks really good, Brian! While checking amazon, I saw a few other minneapolis music books...heyday, complicated fun, first avenue. Have you read any of these?

are you a hold steady fan? craig finn cites the mats as his biggest influence. saw them two nights in SF this summer. were you there?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Looks really good, Brian! While checking amazon, I saw a few other minneapolis music books...heyday, complicated fun, first avenue. Have you read any of these?

are you a hold steady fan? craig finn cites the mats as his biggest influence. saw them two nights in SF this summer. were you there?
    I don't know those books, Rob, but will check them out. 

Also not familiar with Hold Steady.  I see they're on Vagrant Records so will check them out as well. 

And no, haven't been to many shows lately.  It's getting really hard for me to do shows- the punishment to my hearing is too great these days.  Good thing I did a lot of that earlier on and seen quite a few good bands.