Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    For the fans that travel and see 5+ shows a tour, hearing the same 13 songs (or lets say 8 new songs) every show plus the 10 staples would make for a pretty repetitive setlist.  I think how they do it (5-7) new songs per night in the year of a new album is pretty good. 
    I agree with you, in theory.  But we are talking about 10% of the audience (probably even less) that goes to see 5+ shows per tour, right?
    And these hardcore travelers probably understand enough about this band to know that some of the new songs will disappear from rotation probably by the next tour.  Therefore, perhaps they'd soak in the new songs and enjoy them?   
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    KN219077 said:
    mace1229 said:
    They dont work out the new stuff live enough. I think they play too many songs from the early 90s and wish they would work in some of the new songs and work through them live to attempt to make them staples of their live shows 
    Just curious, what do you consider "new"?
    LB? BS? ST?
    Yes.

Don't get me wrong. I love the old stuff. But, I just wonder what their live shows would be if they would play some of the other tracks from Self Titled-Backspacer-Lightning Bolt and jammed out on some of that stuff. Made some of those songs staples. Love or hate the new albums, it would be nice to hear some of those songs more than one clunky time through. 
    I’d have to agree with you. Lightning Bolt seems to be one of the few songs they’ve adopted as a new staple.  There are a few more thay could definitely be thrown in the rotation.
    Agreed.

Unpopular opinion: I hope Backspacer gets the full album treatment, and I hope I'm there.
    Now that's what I'd call an unpopular opinion. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    When I am listening to boots I skip black. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mcgruff10 said:

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    I was at Chicago 2 and Boston 1 and 2 in 2018. Maybe the rain at Chicago 2 was the source of the magic. But it happened all night long. 

I didnt love either boston after thinking 16 was top 5. After listening to the boots wtf happened in Boston?

Chicago 2 alone has Rain, Smile, U, We  are gonna be friends, even evil little goat was cool as hell. 

Ive been to every garden show and it’s funny, the difference between which show each 2 night stay is epic. It’s not the band at all. Each time they are busting ass to make it epic. Sometimes a guitar fails, or doesn’t work, anything can derail that perfect fire they go for. 

Boston 18 are the first shows I’ve ever felt like they phoned it in or both nights fully never hit the stride. The hits are bad and guitars fail, the repeats in setlist were disappointing and the lack of any attempt to make the night the best show ever seemed...odd. 

I dont think I’m jaded or spoiled after listing to the full bootleg. For me the highlight of the Boston shows was Jill rocking out a few rows BEHIND me. Who even does that? Very cool. 

Historicaly of all shows every tour Hartford is the one to not miss. I guess now Chicago too. 

I dont know know how you guys who listen to every boot like me don’t here the difference between Boston shows and the rest of the stadium tour. 
  • KN219077 said:
    mace1229 said:
    They dont work out the new stuff live enough. I think they play too many songs from the early 90s and wish they would work in some of the new songs and work through them live to attempt to make them staples of their live shows 
    Just curious, what do you consider "new"?
    LB? BS? ST?
    Yes.

Don't get me wrong. I love the old stuff. But, I just wonder what their live shows would be if they would play some of the other tracks from Self Titled-Backspacer-Lightning Bolt and jammed out on some of that stuff. Made some of those songs staples. Love or hate the new albums, it would be nice to hear some of those songs more than one clunky time through. 
    I’d have to agree with you. Lightning Bolt seems to be one of the few songs they’ve adopted as a new staple.  There are a few more thay could definitely be thrown in the rotation.
    Agreed.

Unpopular opinion: I hope Backspacer gets the full album treatment, and I hope I'm there.
    I hope I'm there too! Backspacer is my favorite album. Another unpopular opinion! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    RS65573 said:

Historicaly of all shows every tour Hartford is the one to not miss. I guess now Chicago too. 

Hartford 2008, main set is amazing. Then Eddie saYs something like "I see, You want crazY stuff" and then the rest of the shows turns oddlY ordinarY. Haha. If I'm remembering the right show. Might be another show.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I hate Halloween 
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    mcgruff10 said:
    I hate Halloween 
    High five! Told my wife last night it would be the one holiday I would axe if I had the power.
    edited October 2018
    Hallowe'en is a bit of a pain in the ass isn't it?

(But so is Christmas!)

Three cheers for Thankgiving - Canadian or American!!!
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I do too. And it's not that I don't think it's a great song, but I just don't feel like listening to it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    mcgruff10 said:
    I do too. And it's not that I don't think it's a great song, but I just don't feel like listening to it. 
    I don't think it plays well as a nine-minute extended song.  The last half really drags out.  That's tough to hear a lot if you are a frequent listener of bootlegs. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don't think it plays well as a nine-minute extended song.  The last half really drags out.  That's tough to hear a lot if you are a frequent listener of bootlegs. 
    If there's an "issue" with all the bootlegs, that's it. You end up listening to Black (and Alive, Porch, Even Flow, Corduroy, Better Man, Do The Evolution, etc.) more than you need to and you end up getting a little sick of them. Songs like Last Exit, Immortality, Hail Hail, and Present Tense are played each tour but only a handful of times so you never get bored of hearing them.

That's my experience, anyway.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    rummy said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    If there's an "issue" with all the bootlegs, that's it. You end up listening to Black (and Alive, Porch, Even Flow, Corduroy, Better Man, Do The Evolution, etc.) more than you need to and you end up getting a little sick of them. Songs like Last Exit, Immortality, Hail Hail, and Present Tense are played each tour but only a handful of times so you never get bored of hearing them.

That's my experience, anyway.
    That kind of sums up going to a live show too :)   They're great songs but they play them at almost every show.   Given the PJ nutures the kind of fan that goes to repeat shows, it's often the shows with the songs they play least often that fans enjoy the most.   Bootlegs and live shows a like :)
  • Unpopular  opinion- I hate sitting at any gig. Won't  do it.

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    I hate Halloween 
    I think the first one is a masterpiece. The second one, part 4 and H20 are alright too. The new one just released is way overhyped.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    mcgruff10 said:
    I hate Halloween 
    I think the first one is a masterpiece. The second one, part 4 and H20 are alright too. The new one just released is way overhyped.

Related image
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

mcgruff10 said:
    I hate Halloween 

I hate halloween the day, not the movie.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Summer is the best season. All other seasons suck.
  • Summer is the best season. All other seasons suck.
    Fall is best.
    Summer is the best season. All other seasons suck.
    Fall is best.
    Well, for you, that's probably the equivalent of a good summer.
  • Summer is the best season. All other seasons suck.
    Fall is best.
    Well, for you, that's probably the equivalent of a good summer.
    And when I mean fall, I mean with the sun still out and you being able to sit outside drinking a beer. 

Not November Rain fall.

Yeah, I had thick frost on my windshield this morning. Almost made me late for work. That is certainly not the fall I want to deal with.
    I might enjoy fall if we got the same fall most people do - the colors, the warm sun, the cool nights.  We go from 90 (32C) one week right into 40 (4.5C) the next.  Just last week I went from running the a/c on Wednesday to turning the heat on Friday.  We don't get the vibrant colors, everything just turns brown and resembles death.
    edited October 2018
    We don't get the vibrant colors, everything just turns brown and resembles death.

From the movie @mcgruff10 hates. Relevant to the season.

Where are you from @HesCalledDyer ?

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    I love fall but I hate the leaves that drop in my yard.  
    We don't get the vibrant colors, everything just turns brown and resembles death.

From the movie @mcgruff10 hates. Relevant to the season.

Where are you from @HesCalledDyer ?

About 2 hours northwest of Washington DC.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Doctor Who is overhyped..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • I think....
    -Binaural and LB are insanely underrated albums
    -Anyone who thinks Even Flow is a piss break song, isn't paying close enough attention to what Stone and Jeff are doing during Mike's solo
    -This band has been giving us music/shows/memories for nearly 3 decades, and doesn't owe us anything, (as much as I'd love regular new albums and 70 show tours; if they want to chill/spend time with family, they've earned it)
    -Bugs is awesome
    -There should be an opening band at shows 

ps....happy bday PJ!
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    edited October 2018
    I’m tired of Chicago.  Already hate them as a sports fan.  Living in this era of PJ-Chicago super-love-fest is difficult. 
    Post edited by Milestone on
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
    Chicago's "claim" to Chelios?   He was born & raised in Chicago and was a Blackhawks fan growing up ya fool! :wink: