Were you dying to go to a 2018 show but couldn't?

JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
edited September 2018 in The Porch
Hello everyone, as the dust continues to settle from the 2018 PJ tour and poster frenzy and "Which was the best 2018 show?" continue, probably to settle down soon, I am thinking about the friends I have (those I know personally and a couple I "met" here) who just could not get to ANY 2018 show.  Maybe they tried and it just didn't work out... I know of 2 separate folks where real life just cropped up and they couldn't make it last minute... and I know a few who just live far enough from any of the shows or couldn't afford the shows even if they were closer by.

I know when I'm not able to do something like this, I like to be able to commiserate, or maybe just share stories with others in a similar boat.  If anyone who couldn't go feels like either private messaging me or posting here about what kept you from the 2018 show(s) you wanted to go to, I wanted to open up that conversation if anyone wants to tell their story.

I also find myself with a few little bits of merch left over now that I've mailed most of the things out to people I was buying for.  A sticker here, a button there, maybe a hat, maybe even a POSTER!  I'd like to GIVE a few things away randomly if anyone feels like venting/sharing about not making it.

This might seem weird, and in no way do I want to start a negative convo; to me this is more a positive way of making peace out of not being able to go (because I've been in that position before), and also sharing a few souvenirs for free.

Anyone wanted to go but didn't make it?  Feel like sharing your story privately or here?  Go for it!
Post edited by JH6056 on

Comments

•     My oldest son started college on August 20th. That's a lot of $$$. Spent the week before getting things ready and moving him into the dorms. I gave up my ticket, my wife went to Wrigley II with her sister while I stayed here and took care of things.

Maybe they play Cleveland in 2019 and I don't have to travel.

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Was hoping for philly this year, but it didn’t happen. 
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I was applying for a loan at the same time they were doing the drawings so i didn't even enter. Didn't want to have anything mess up the loan. The only one I could have realistically gone to was Boston since I can't afford a flight plus everything else. But it just came down to not enough money for a hotel in Boston and finding a ticket. 

I saw them at Fenway Night 2 in 2016 - that was a hell of a show. I will wait for the next tour. 
  • AstaakAstaak Connecticut Posts: 45
    I was lucky enough to go to Wrigley Night 2. I was supposed to go with my husband but his new job (he is in tv production) made it very difficult to do the trip from NY. So he stayed behind and my brother was nice enough to meet me in Chicago for the show. So the tickets got used but unfortunately we lost some money on plane tickets. I was unbelievably happy to get to that show...it was so special and great to share with my brother. Though during Come Back I blew out my vocal chords yelling for security, trying to get help for another fan who was behind us in the pit. He looked bad, like he was going to keel over. I was so scared for him, his buddy and I yelled and yelled for help, thankfully somebody did come over to assist and the guy ended up being ok, just dehydrated and drunk and tired. But my voice is still f’ed up. I am going to see an ear, nose and throat doctor tomorrow actually. 

We also had tickets for Boston N2, and my husband actually did have the night off and the next day off but he has been working like a dog so couldn’t wrap his head around travelling for an overnight and the show. Honestly, of course I wanted us to go, but my husband’s wellbeing is far more important to me. So I contacted 10 club to see if I could donate the tickets to be used for a fundraiser or something. Instead they ended up being given away to a fan in need the night of the show. I guess this is their policy with unused tickets, the 10 club rep gets to choose who to give the tickets to. So my husband and I spent the labor day weekend at home chilling and regrouping. Sometimes that is the best thing to do. Though I do wonder if the tickets found a good home!

• ryph raph said:

Maybe they play Cleveland in 2019 and I don't have to travel.

I’ll second that!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    nope, I made it Seattle.   Always go when they play Vancouver or Seattle.  Since they played Seattle his year, that probably means no show for me next year (unless Vancouver gets a random show).
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I'm so glad you guys are writing your stories! I figured the total silence after I first posted it meant no one really wanted to say anything or it wasn't as much of a bummer as I thought it was.

I really appreciaate your stories, please keep sharing!  And I still want to send a few things out to random people, so that will still happen too.

Thanks!
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    really wanted to go to the seattle shows as we were planning a trip there anyway, but unfortunately my son wouldn't go to the shows. (he's 11) so we just went to seattle for a week instead after the shows had passed. by the way seattle was great. 
    Was hoping for philly this year, but it didn’t happen. 
    Can so relate - part of what made me start this thread was the 2016 shows I couldn't go to (or was it 2015? What year was the Philly Ten album show?) but I had tix to the Philly shows, couldn't make them and couldn't resell, and then of course the 2nd show was the Ten album show... painful!  So I understand hoping for Philly shows!

Maybe we need to boost their appreciation for some other east coast baseball teams? :)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    from the ones they got played,and couldnt go,santiago chile and london 2..
    as for which one i want,,the answer is the same,,AUSTRALIA
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Why Australia in particular dimitrispearljam?
  • CDEANSEATTLECDEANSEATTLE Seattle Posts: 33
      My husband and I constantly have tickets for missed shows for one reason or the next and it looked like it was going to happen again.  Well before Seattle shows were announced, we had to canceled a trip to Honolulu for QOSTA as my husband had an accident on a Onewheel weeks before. I snagged some Chicago tickets as something to look forward to as all of Seattle seats were gone within moments. As he couldn't see, due to numerous surgeries and the concussion he was unable to travel.  So no Chicago for us. We live in Seattle and he planned on standing outside Safeco to at least hear both shows . (at home recovery he only wanted PJ radio and Endless Summer played on a loop) 
    I won the Mopop Screening event and the Mariners fireworks night, and made peace with this getting as close to live as possible. Days before the first an announcement was made that a limited number of the best seats Night 1 were on sale thru Ticketmaster, AND SURPRISINGLY, I got them. 2 Floor seats, isle side, no obstructions. My daughter felt awful he was going to be on the sidelines and had scored some SUB POP Bobs Burgers comedy  for Night 2 of Pearl Jam. 
    We have some friends in many places of the world but a very special family friend was coming out for the Subpop 30th anniversary party and asked if he could stay on Alki with us for the week before the Subpop party. I gave my PJ night 1 ticket the the visiting friend and I would go to the Mopop Screening in a side room. The 2 guys went to the show but they skyped me the whole 3 hours with mass pics. I went to the Mopop Screening with my husband but we were snagged away from the main theater and watched the show in a side theater sitting down with no crowd and awesome sound. It was like getting a private steaming concert. Friday before the night 2 show an opportunity to go came across our laps, but making a commitment to our daughter we declined and went to Bobs Burgers instead. As fate works the Bobs Burgers crew was watching the PJ night 2 on Periscope so we didnt miss it. 
    I,m new to the Ten Club (first year) and scored:
     Pearl Jam Fireworks at Safeco
    Seattle Night 1 (Chicago tix Stubhub)
    2 CS, Pj home show Ale 
    Mopop Screening
    a few autographs during the Subpop Alki party

We were bummed to miss out on the home shows, then to have the Chicago shows pulled from us, all hope of a live show was gone. I do not believe in a god, but fate has a way. I could live without a next live show, but it kept my husband focused on more than pain. Now I am waiting for the bootleg Cd of the show as his memory only keeps a few days stored and he forgot the whole week. Pearl Jam is sooo much bigger than our first 45 min. show and to have all this extra stuff fall in our path was something special. I am not into big arena style shows, preferring smaller venues and unnoticed bands. Pearl Jam healed my hubby and cleaned up the streets in Seattle(a little) and now we are bigger fans than 20 years ago. Missing shows is such a massive let down, much like a still born. Hope it never happens to us again, Missed out on Chicago 2 tours in a row AND 1 Japan.

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited September 2018
    I went to the Seattle shows (and they were awesome) but I still wish I could have seen the other four ballpark shows - I can get over not going to Missoula. This is more because of my love for baseball and I'd love to see my favourite band in what I feel are the two best stadiums in baseball (with all due respect to Giants, Pirates, and Orioles fans - those places are also great!). Plus I would have seen "Hail Hail" and "In My Tree."
    Post edited by rummy on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Having never been to Montana, I really wanted to go to Missoula to see a new place. The logistics of it were just way too expensice.  Flights were outrageous, not to mention renting a car and driving 3 hours after the flight, and lodging was scarce and expensive.  I then thought, well I'll just try to go to church again (Wrigley).  I can at least stay there for free and it would only cost me gas, tolls, and food money. Then medical bills started to get in the way and thankfully I never put in for tickets because that would have really crippled me financially. 

But I've been lucky enough to see Pearl Jam 15 times now, the last being Wrigley 2016, capped off two months later by a Cubs World Series victory (which I was also in Chicago for).  I've seen some great shows.  My first show was Pittsburgh 2000 when Amy and the Wash umbrella made it to the stage.  I was at State College when they played their longest show ever (since surpassed).  I was in Camden when they brought dusted off Leash. I was in DC when they opened with Hard to Imagine. I was at the Baltimore show in my home state which was the first time ever playing Charm City. I was in Charlottesville two days after that. I got my first GA show in St. Paul. I saw them play inside the "Mothership" Hampton Coliseum.  And of course the two Wrigley shows in 2016. 

I've heard Stone sing both of his songs. I've seen quite a few rarities played.  I've seen Ed play acoustic pre-sets. I've been in the rafters, I've been close to the stage, and I hit the row 9-10 lottery once. I nearly caught a drumstick from Matt (only for the taller guy in front of me to swipe it at the last second).  I've screamed, I've cried, I've sweat, I've lost my voice., I've nearly been puked on (thanks for making it into the cup, dude)!

It's been a great journey so far and, while I'm bummed about not seeing the guys this year, I know they will tour again. When they do, I will find myself there, standing, arms outstretched, screaming and singing along once again.
    edited September 2018
    So maybe be careful what you wish for...as I said in my previous post I got to see one of the two shows I had tickets for. N2 wrigley...at which i had to yell for help for a fan who needed medical attention during Come Back which set off my lost/hoarse voice. Just got back from the doctor, and I get to have vocal cord surgery and will be on strict vocal rest. No singing for me for a while...but it’s a good thing I make my living in a laboratory. Lol

Post edited by Astaak on
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290
    First Seattle show, missed it due to my mom passing a week before.  I made the right decision to mourn my mom's passing before I stepped out in public and start living life again.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

First Seattle show, missed it due to my mom passing a week before.  I made the right decision to mourn my mom's passing before I stepped out in public and start living life again.
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your mom. 
    Astaak said:
    Thanks, I'm happy my mom isn't suffering anymore.  Missing the first Seattle concert stunk, but losing my mom was worse.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

edited September 2018
    Astaak said:
    Thanks, I'm happy my mom isn't suffering anymore.  Missing the first Seattle concert stunk, but losing my mom was worse.
    I lost my dad last year, I really can relate to needing to just hunker down to deal.  Really sorry for your loss of your mom.

Sorry you missed Seattle 1, but glad you got to 4 more of the stadium shows so you still got to get your PJ thrill on and maybe even more musical healing!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Someone above said that missing shows is such a massive letdown, much like a still born.  

Just let let that sink in for a second before you mouth “what the fuck?”
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
      My husband and I constantly have tickets for missed shows for one reason or the next and it looked like it was going to happen again.  Well before Seattle shows were announced, we had to canceled a trip to Honolulu for QOSTA as my husband had an accident on a Onewheel weeks before. I snagged some Chicago tickets as something to look forward to as all of Seattle seats were gone within moments. As he couldn't see, due to numerous surgeries and the concussion he was unable to travel.  So no Chicago for us. We live in Seattle and he planned on standing outside Safeco to at least hear both shows . (at home recovery he only wanted PJ radio and Endless Summer played on a loop) 
    I won the Mopop Screening event and the Mariners fireworks night, and made peace with this getting as close to live as possible. Days before the first an announcement was made that a limited number of the best seats Night 1 were on sale thru Ticketmaster, AND SURPRISINGLY, I got them. 2 Floor seats, isle side, no obstructions. My daughter felt awful he was going to be on the sidelines and had scored some SUB POP Bobs Burgers comedy  for Night 2 of Pearl Jam. 
    We have some friends in many places of the world but a very special family friend was coming out for the Subpop 30th anniversary party and asked if he could stay on Alki with us for the week before the Subpop party. I gave my PJ night 1 ticket the the visiting friend and I would go to the Mopop Screening in a side room. The 2 guys went to the show but they skyped me the whole 3 hours with mass pics. I went to the Mopop Screening with my husband but we were snagged away from the main theater and watched the show in a side theater sitting down with no crowd and awesome sound. It was like getting a private steaming concert. Friday before the night 2 show an opportunity to go came across our laps, but making a commitment to our daughter we declined and went to Bobs Burgers instead. As fate works the Bobs Burgers crew was watching the PJ night 2 on Periscope so we didnt miss it. 
    I,m new to the Ten Club (first year) and scored:
     Pearl Jam Fireworks at Safeco
    Seattle Night 1 (Chicago tix Stubhub)
    2 CS, Pj home show Ale 
    Mopop Screening
    a few autographs during the Subpop Alki party

We were bummed to miss out on the home shows, then to have the Chicago shows pulled from us, all hope of a live show was gone. I do not believe in a god, but fate has a way. I could live without a next live show, but it kept my husband focused on more than pain. Now I am waiting for the bootleg Cd of the show as his memory only keeps a few days stored and he forgot the whole week. Pearl Jam is sooo much bigger than our first 45 min. show and to have all this extra stuff fall in our path was something special. I am not into big arena style shows, preferring smaller venues and unnoticed bands. Pearl Jam healed my hubby and cleaned up the streets in Seattle(a little) and now we are bigger fans than 20 years ago. Missing shows is such a massive let down, much like a still born. Hope it never happens to us again, Missed out on Chicago 2 tours in a row AND 1 Japan.

That is one heck of a story! Thank you for sharing it, really powerful and your attitude throughout and willingness to accommodate others while you yourseslf is in the middle of so much is really special.  Thank you for sharing!
  • Someone above said that missing shows is such a massive letdown, much like a still born.  

Just let let that sink in for a second before you mouth “what the fuck?”
    Yeah, that's pretty messed up.
    Having never been to Montana, I really wanted to go to Missoula to see a new place. The logistics of it were just way too expensice.  Flights were outrageous, not to mention renting a car and driving 3 hours after the flight, and lodging was scarce and expensive.  I then thought, well I'll just try to go to church again (Wrigley).  I can at least stay there for free and it would only cost me gas, tolls, and food money. Then medical bills started to get in the way and thankfully I never put in for tickets because that would have really crippled me financially. 

But I've been lucky enough to see Pearl Jam 15 times now, the last being Wrigley 2016, capped off two months later by a Cubs World Series victory (which I was also in Chicago for).  I've seen some great shows.  My first show was Pittsburgh 2000 when Amy and the Wash umbrella made it to the stage.  I was at State College when they played their longest show ever (since surpassed).  I was in Camden when they brought dusted off Leash. I was in DC when they opened with Hard to Imagine. I was at the Baltimore show in my home state which was the first time ever playing Charm City. I was in Charlottesville two days after that. I got my first GA show in St. Paul. I saw them play inside the "Mothership" Hampton Coliseum.  And of course the two Wrigley shows in 2016. 

I've heard Stone sing both of his songs. I've seen quite a few rarities played.  I've seen Ed play acoustic pre-sets. I've been in the rafters, I've been close to the stage, and I hit the row 9-10 lottery once. I nearly caught a drumstick from Matt (only for the taller guy in front of me to swipe it at the last second).  I've screamed, I've cried, I've sweat, I've lost my voice., I've nearly been puked on (thanks for making it into the cup, dude)!

It's been a great journey so far and, while I'm bummed about not seeing the guys this year, I know they will tour again. When they do, I will find myself there, standing, arms outstretched, screaming and singing along once again.
    Hi HCD, I read about your situation in some of the other threads, thank you for sharing here on this side of it all!  Your attitude is the best, I also believe being grateful for the good things that have already happened is the best way to handle the loss or things that didn't go the way we wanted.  I hope your health is way way better now and you're well on the way to recovery?

Thank you for writing here!  And wow, from a PJ perspective, you do have a LOT to be grateful for!  I hope the next time they tour, you're able to add many many more wonderful memories to that list!
  • SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Nope... Not dying to go at all, although I do hope to invite my friend from the States to a show in the future.
    Too much going on in my life right now and too little money means Pearl Jam are welcome to stay away from Toronto for the next while. They can make a stop here in 2020 and I will be much more willing and able to attend!
    I do, however, regret not being able to afford to go to the second Toronto show that was added in 2016. 
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I had a period during the ticket lottery for Seattle where I thought I was "dying" to go, but decided not to because it was just too expensive a trip for what it was... Then after the lottery ended and the hype for the shows started really winding up, I wasn't dying to be there anymore because I remembered that I'm not a big fan of ballpark shows, nor all the extra hype and merch frenzy surrounding them. I'm pretty sure I'll never be tempted to go to another ballpark show again. I did it once before, and I'm totally over it. Just observing this last "tour" from a distance confirmed that for me (glad for anyone who did love it though).
    I'll be dying to see a show or two in 2019 though!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    We moved from Portland to Kansas City last April. When they announced the tour, we had just bought a house and were really trying to settle in and pay off some debt. Looking back, I'm sure it was the right move, but it was hard hearing stories from my core group of friends going to shows especially since we all lost one of our best friends a few months back.

2019 will be different. I haven't seen PJ since 2013 and that needs to change.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    JH6056 said:
    Astaak said:
    I lost my dad last year, I really can relate to needing to just hunker down to deal.  Really sorry for your loss of your mom.

Sorry you missed Seattle 1, but glad you got to 4 more of the stadium shows so you still got to get your PJ thrill on and maybe even more musical healing!
    Thanks for the kind words.  I had a fun time at all the four shows attended, all that matters.  I would've missed the shows if my mom in case she didn't pass away in the hospital.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Had plans to be on a family vacation during the run of shows, so I didn't bother with the lottery.  Plans changed and the vacation was cancelled a month after the lottery.  Thought about buying a ticket for a Wrigley show in July.  Procrastinated. Then found myself in the running for a great new job.  Pursued that and got it.  My first day of the new job was the Monday of Wrigley 2.  All in all, I missed catching a show, but in the end I did alright.  There will be other shows.