What bootleg format do you buy?

2»

Comments

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    KICK7071 said:
    23scidoo said:
    23scidoo said:
    I’ll buy CD’s for shows I attended, but outside of that, ALAC makes the most economic sense to me. You get a good jump in quality & versatility over mp3 for a couple extra bucks, and it’s compatible with all my iThings. 
    ALAC plays on Itunes???
    Yep, it's a native format developed by Apple.  Apple Lossless Audio Codec.
    Thank you!!..work same as MP3??..downloading and adding to the library??
    Yes! 
    Thank you!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    CD
    Zod said:
    CD.   I like to collect the cd's from the shows I've been too.  I always thought it was a shame you can't use the analog 10c code to discount a cd like you can for FLAC (or use it to get a FLAC for free for that matter).
    I've thought the same thing before. I always buy a physical CD of the shows I was at too.
    But I always just assumed they don't allow it because a CD is somethign physical, actually costs them money to produce and package (although probably just a buck or two), while the download doesn't cost them anything for me to download. So a free download I get something for "free" without them being out cost. ( I say "free" because is it really if it is part of our paid membership?)
    I'm not complaining, I think its still cool. I downloaded shows I otherwise would not have without it, and still buy the physical CD of ones I really want. Which is probably exactly what they had planned on.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    CD
    This may be a silly question but I'm kind of an old man when it comes to these things.  If I were to DL one of these shows onto my phone's music library, what's the best format to use so I can listen to it in my car? (whether it's transferred to spotify or whatever)  My car doesn't have a CD player :angry:
    Well, if I am going to take that "old man" part seriously, I would just suggest buy a cassette tape adapter that you plug into your car's radio and play it though your DiscMan.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    CD
    This may be a silly question but I'm kind of an old man when it comes to these things.  If I were to DL one of these shows onto my phone's music library, what's the best format to use so I can listen to it in my car? (whether it's transferred to spotify or whatever)  My car doesn't have a CD player :angry:
    Hey, from one old man to another.... get a CD player installed in your car.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    FLACHD
    Always FLACHD.  You can convert anything to a lower format, burn anything you want, etc., but you can never improve the quality of your audio source.  If you have a decent system, and if you use good cans, there is definitely a difference.  
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    CD
    mace1229 said:
    Well, if I am going to take that "old man" part seriously, I would just suggest buy a cassette tape adapter that you plug into your car's radio and play it though your DiscMan.
    Well, that is just not very helpful. 

mrussel1 said:
    Always FLACHD.  You can convert anything to a lower format, burn anything you want, etc., but you can never improve the quality of your audio source.  If you have a decent system, and if you use good cans, there is definitely a difference.  
    Thanks!
  • Options
    FLACHD
    I'll help you out a bit here..  First, don't download to your phone.  I'd download on your computer and transfer to your phone.  This way you have it on a more sustainable hard drive.  Second, does your car have either blu tooth audio or an aux input?  If it has neither of those, nor a CD player, then it is probably a very old stereo and you may not have options that don't include buying a new head unit.  
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    I wonder if this result would be different in 2022? Are the FLACHD worth the extra money over FLAC?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    bazzer said:
    I wonder if this result would be different in 2022? Are the FLACHD worth the extra money over FLAC?
    Only if you have high end playback capability. Otherwise FLAC is great IMO! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909
    MP3
    Used to buy the CDs but now just use my code to download a show I like the look of. I must say I still have a code sitting there, I’m waiting to use it on a new show, hopefully a 2022 one, or an Ed one!? I did download one of the Ohana shows but haven’t listened to it that much. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    CD
    CDs for the shows I’ve been to, FLAC for the rest. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,157
    CD
    I don't download anything.  For one thing, I don't have an MP3 player.  For another, CDs sound better than anything else. 

I've got about ten years of download codes from the Ten Club that sit unredeemed.  Maybe someday they'll let us use them for CDs.  (Not holding my breath.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,409
    CD
    CD FTW
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    fafane45fafane45 Posts: 90
    A bit of everything.
    I started buying MP3. After doing so i bought FLACS and Flac HD.
    From now on i'll probably get Flac HD for the shows i really want.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    Used to buy the CDs but now just use my code to download a show I like the look of. I must say I still have a code sitting there, I’m waiting to use it on a new show, hopefully a 2022 one, or an Ed one!? I did download one of the Ohana shows but haven’t listened to it that much. 
    I'm like this. I think I'll start using my codes but I don't want MP3 so I'm looking at twice as much for HD. Given the source I'm just not sure it's really worth it.
  • Options
    FLACHD
    bazzer said:
    I'm like this. I think I'll start using my codes but I don't want MP3 so I'm looking at twice as much for HD. Given the source I'm just not sure it's really worth it.
    It just depends on the quality of your DAC and speakers.  If you have quality gear,  you'll hear a difference.  If it's mid level or below,  less likely. 

Regarding CD, there should be no audible difference between flac and cd if it runs through the same DAC.  They are both the same depth and resolution.